Nitecore p12/Fenix pd35 UI question

Elite001mm

Newly Enlightened
Im going to get a new flashlight pretty soon and im looking to get something small and powerful. Small enough to Edc, yet powerful to light up my backyard. But i have a problem. Ill be using this light inside too. These lights have very low modes, but because of the mode memory, it could turn on in the "high" mode when i wanted low or moonlight. Im looking at the Nitecore srt5/6/7 because i can determine the brightness before i turn on the light, but they're much more expensive.. and bigger(6/7).

So my question is, is there any way to make sure the light will turn on in moonlight other than turning it OFF in moonlight? I know zebralights can do this but im not so sure on others..

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Sunwayman V11R/M11R and Jetbeam RRT01 are easy to control your starting brightness. Eagletac D25C, D25A D25C2 etc start in low mode (with memory turned off) and work up from there.

Ken

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im going to get a new flashlight pretty soon and im looking to get something small and powerful. Small enough to Edc, yet powerful to light up my backyard. But i have a problem. Ill be using this light inside too. These lights have very low modes, but because of the mode memory, it could turn on in the "high" mode when i wanted low or moonlight. Im looking at the Nitecore srt5/6/7 because i can determine the brightness before i turn on the light, but they're much more expensive.. and bigger(6/7).

So my question is, is there any way to make sure the light will turn on in moonlight other than turning it OFF in moonlight? I know zebralights can do this but im not so sure on others..

At this time, there are so many excellent choices in a flashlight.

With my Nitecore P12, I take it down to lowest mode before turning it off. If you use all the settings during use and don't wish to take the time to put it on low before turning off, you can develop the habit of turning it on in a direction you are not looking. I have a wonderful 'no last mode memory' dedomed P60 drop in that comes on at 100% because it suits my needs in the field. If I want it to be initially on low, it is simple to put it behind my back, facing away from me, then click away.

That said: If you are willing to deal with ZebraLight, an SC600 variant might work very well for you. I have an SC62d that is a joy to use. I don't miss the upper setting you can get with an SC600 or H600 because I carry that P60 host when out and about. It has the horsepower to out shine, throw wise, all the choices you have mentioned, but it is not ideal for navigating and low light use. The ZL's have some seriously low levels that are very handy if you value retaining 'night adapted' eyes.

No doubt there are other fine choices out there.

My P12 (is a little big for an EDC, my opinion) resides in my day pack for unforeseen needs but it is the ZL that gets most of the night time use, by far. The lowest and second lowest low really shine with dark adapted eyes. And the highest setting is sufficient for most actual use.

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
I have a P12 as my backup edc. I love it and don't find the size to be a problem.

I know vinh has done some mod work on the pd35. Maybe shoot him an email. Expensive, but you'll be able to maintain that form factor.

No experience with ZL, so nothing to add there.