fenix tk61 questions

dontfearthereaper_20

Newly Enlightened
Ive mostly decided on getting the fenix tk61 but i have a question first that is a huge selling point for me. Will this light run on full power on primary cr123a's as i don't and will not use 18650's. Thanks in advance

Eric

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the TK61 user manual:

"When absolutely necessary, the flashlight can be powered by four or eight CR123A batteries.

In this case, the TK61 will run at a low brightness level and the mode switch will be disabled."

So officially, no it will not. Haven't actually tried it - it seems absolutely nuts to use eight CR123s (figure around $8 of batteries every single cycle) when you can use 18650s which will cost virtually nothing after the initial purchase, and give better runtime, and be safer, and be easier to swap out, and not leave you with toxic waste after a few hours of use, etc. But that's just me.

dontfearthereaper_20

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. The only reason I don't use them is because I have a tendency to forget when I have things charging and from what I read that can be dangerous so I don't want to burn my house down

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input. The only reason I don't use them is because I have a tendency to forget when I have things charging and from what I read that can be dangerous so I don't want to burn my house down

That is only dangerous if your charger continues to supply current even after it has reached full charge. ANY decent charger that properly terminates at 4.2 volts, or thereabouts, will be pretty darn safe. And the protection circuit on 18650s can reduce the chances of an issue even more - it will automatically disconnect the cell if it reaches an unsafe voltage. I'd check out the Soshine 3400 mAh cells, and the Nitecore i4 charger at Illumination Supply. You can get 4 cells, and a charger for less than $60 shipped. That would be a dead simple, and safe setup.

RemcoM

Enlightened
That is only dangerous if your charger continues to supply current even after it has reached full charge. ANY decent charger that properly terminates at 4.2 volts, or thereabouts, will be pretty darn safe. And the protection circuit on 18650s can reduce the chances of an issue even more - it will automatically disconnect the cell if it reaches an unsafe voltage. I'd check out the Soshine 3400 mAh cells, and the Nitecore i4 charger at Illumination Supply. You can get 4 cells, and a charger for less than $60 shipped. That would be a dead simple, and safe setup.

Hi,

Does the TK61 maintain the same brightness/beamintensity, when the batteriesare nearly empty, but with a little bit energy inside?

Does the TK61 not slowly dim, when the batteries are going from fully charged, to empty?

What eans that the light is currently controlled?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Does the TK61 maintain the same brightness/beamintensity, when the batteriesare nearly empty, but with a little bit energy inside?

Does the TK61 not slowly dim, when the batteries are going from fully charged, to empty?

What eans that the light is currently controlled?

The TK61 is current controlled. In fact, the regulation is extremely good on it. It will not gradually dim - it steps down in discrete intervals when the batteries get low.

Check out Selfbuilt's review of the TK61vn if you need more detail. He has comprehensive runtime graphs, with multiple modes. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...R123A)-Dedome-Modded-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME

RemcoM

Enlightened
The TK61 is current controlled. In fact, the regulation is extremely good on it. It will not gradually dim - it steps down in discrete intervals when the batteries get low.

Check out Selfbuilt's review of the TK61vn if you need more detail. He has comprehensive runtime graphs, with multiple modes. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?383887-Fenix-TK61vn-%28XM-L2-4x18650-8xCR123A%29-Dedome-Modded-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME

Do i need to remove the batteries inside after each use each day, or is that not neccesary.

And can i left the batteries inside the TK61 for 1 or 2 weeks?

kj2

Flashaholic
Do i need to remove the batteries inside after each use each day, or is that not neccesary.
And can i left the batteries inside the TK61 for 1 or 2 weeks?
One or two weeks is fine, but when longer not in use you should remove the batteries.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
why remove the batteries when longer then 2 weeks?

This is completely unnecessary. You can certainly do so if you like, but there is no NEED to do so. Parasitic drain is extremely low. Again, from Selfbuilt's review: "Due to the electronic switch, the TK61 will always be drawing a small current when the carrier is connected to the head. I measured this current as 1.2uA on my stock TK61 sample. On my TK61vn, it was too low to get a reliable DMM reading. :eek:oo: As a result, the standby drain is completely negligible (i.e., it is well below the normal self-discharge rate of Li-ions)."

Remove them if you like, but realize there is no reason to do so, unless you want to use the cells elsewhere. Parasitic drain is a complete non-issue with this particular light.

ven

Flashaholic
I just turn the tail cap enough to lock out if its going to be longer than a few weeks,leave light on low,turn tail cap till it goes out............job done.I do the same on my tk75vn/tk50 and tk51.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Is shining at turbo, with the TK61, and the TK75 enough to prevent agressive attackers to attack me,when hitting them straight in the face, from some distance, and at close distance, with the strobe, and with the turbosetting?

Alot of agressive drumk, drugsuse young people here (18 22 years) in my urbanarea, who shouting, molest people, and streetracing with their cars.

Do they get scared and blinded, so will they not attack me, and leave?

kj2

Flashaholic
Is shining at turbo, with the TK61, and the TK75 enough to prevent agressive attackers to attack me,when hitting them straight in the face, from some distance, and at close distance, with the strobe, and with the turbosetting?
Alot of agressive drumk, drugsuse young people here (18 22 years) in my urbanarea, who shouting, molest people, and streetracing with their cars.
Best thing is to walk the other way. Sure, when SHTF you can blind an attacker, but that's possible with almost any flashlight.
Walk the other way, and disappear in the dark ;)

ven

Flashaholic
Its not advised or condoned on here about use of a flashlight in that respect.

Being honest,shining a light at someone who is aggressive or a group of aggressive people would only be antagonized (especially drug users). More than likely go the other way rather than be scared................

Its certainly not something i would advise you try,yes potentially it would make them disorientated for a few seconds if close ,then they would come looking for the person trying to blind them by where the light has come from.

Of course just my opinion,others may differ but i stand by not using that method.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Does an offcentered led, effect the beamdistance of the flashlight?

Lucky my have an centered led.

ven

Flashaholic

Depends how off centred it is,"slightly" off centred should not make any real world difference..............

I find my klarus p1a is slightly off centred and make no difference in beam,again though its what interpretation to slightly we have,i am talking 0.5mm ish on mine

If its quite off centred then the light will not be emitted equally into the reflector.........this should be evident in the beam pattern

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Beam cenetering can be hard to judge, as sometimes and LED that LOOKS uncentered is actually centered optically...or visa versa.

If optically offcentered, then, the impact on the beam will be proportional...IE: A matter of degree.

lwknight

Enlightened

As long as you are shooting at them while lighting them up , they will be scared. When you run out of ammo , your goose is cooked.

houser23

Enlightened

You have got to be the most intriguing poster on these forums.