REVIEW: upgraded Klarus XT11 (2014)

grinsefalle

Enlightened
The user interface is a critical aspect on flashlights, which are designed for LEO's, police officers, security personell or other professionals. One company is offering a special kind of UI: Klarus.
Now let's look at their newest model, the upgraded Klarus XT11.

Disclaimer:

This review is part of the global testing campaign of Klarus. The flashlight was provided by the official German distributer schiermeier.biz.
The review was originally posted in German language on messerforum.net. The translation into the English language is completely handmade by myself - so don't expect an error free text.

specifications provided by Klarus

Cree XM-L2 in an op-reflector, protected by an ultra clear glass lens.
working voltage 3,5V - 8,4V (2xCR123 or 1x18650)
aluminum, hard anodized, military grey
149mm length x 35mm diameter on the head x 25,4mm diameter on the body
132 Gramm without batteries
protected according to IPX8 (2m water depth)
included: holster, lanyard, clip, gripring, 2 spare o-rings

technical data ANSI FL1 (with a 3100mAh 18650):
820 Lumen (3h), 160 Lumen (10h), 11 Lumen (73h), Strobe (6h); 180m throw; 8217cd

size / finish / workmanship

The XT11 is comparable to the other well known flashlights on the market, which feature a XML-led an are using one 18650. The body has a 1-inch-diameter, so you can use the standard mounts for this flashlight, too. No surprise, the head of the XT11 is larger as e.g. the Surefire 6P's. The reason for this is the big die of the XML led - you need a bigger reflector to focus the light, and this reflector needs its space in the head. The size of a flashlight's head does play a role - we will talk about it later.

from left to right: HDS Clicky, Malkoff MD2, Eden TDL20, Armytek Viking X, Klarus XT11

Klarus uses a grey hard anodized aluminum, which is absolutely flawless. All parts of the light have the exact same color. The laser etching is fine. For positive identification, the XT11 has an individual
serial number on it. The bezel is now in flat stainless steel and this looks a lot better than glossy steel bezels. The checkering on the body and tailcap is a bit too smooth - I personally prefer an aggressive knurling, especially on duty flashlights. The XT11 provides a secure grip due to the installed tactical grip ring and the shape of the head. Without the ring, it will be slippery when wet.
The build quality is great. The threads are smooth, but you have to apply some grease. The led is very well centered an the reflector had no dust or debris in it. The gripring has no threading on it, so it's swiveling.

You will get a great flashlight of high quality with a small price tag!

LED / beam pattern

The XT11 uses a XM-L2 led, the exact binning is not mentioned at the Klarus homepage. The beam pattern is useful on short to medium distances. The flashlight hasn't got that much cd or lux, but with ist power of over 800 lumens you can still control the situation even to medium distances. The light is very useful for police work.

The beamshot gallery can be found here on my onedrive.

Energy

Klarus specifies a voltage range from 3,5 to 8,4V, but they explicitly say, that you only have to use a single 18650 or two CR123 batteries. Even if two RCR123 are within the voltage range, Klarus does not recommend using them. This is ok, because a 18650 is a great rechargeable solution with high quality and high capacity, and the CR123 are a great backup (not every LEO gets the batteries from his office). The runtimes or the regulation hasn't changed, so please see one of the great reviews here on CPF. I don't have the equipment to do good runtime tests. The regulation is well done for a duty flashlight, because the XT11 slowly dims towards the end of battery life. There is no bad surprise for the user with a light suddenly shutting off. The negative and positive contacts inside the flashlight are spring loaded to prevent damage to the batteries.

The XT11 uses PWM, but the frequency is high enough, so that you won't notice it in real life.

user interface

All actions are controlled by the tailcap. There is a protruding mechanical forward clicky and a smaller electronic switch. You just need one hand and you don't have to twist some flashlight parts, look for side switches...

The tailcap has the exact same functions and UI as the former model of the XT11 - besides one new element. The electronic switch is now covered by a small rocker, which allows you to operate the switch at virtually every angle. Even with gloves on, it works very well. When grabbing your
flashlight, your thumb first has contact to the clicky switch, from there you just have to slide sidewards and you are ready to strobe or change modes.

From off-state:
To sitch it on, just use the clicky switch. Half press for momentary or click on for constant on. Every single time you switch the light on, it starts on high mode, independent of what you did before. If the light is off, hit the smaller switch to get instant strobe with maximum power. Pressing the button less than 2 seconds gives you momentary strobe with fixed frequency, pressing it more than 2 seconds will activate constant strobe with varying frequency.
from on-state:
Hit the clicky to switch the light off. A short press on the electronic switch will change your mode in this sequence: high - med - low - high - med... A press and hold (>1 second) will activate constant strobe. To stop strobe, just switch the light off or press the mode button to get your constant light mode.

The new 2014 model is a great improvement, because of the small rocker covering the mode button. Now it is much easier to hit this button and control the flashlight. Because of the missing memory the Klarus XT11 is highly recommended to LEO's or for professional use!

accessories

Klarus offers diffusors and color filters, an additional aggressive combat bezel, a remote pressure switch and some mounts.

The included clip is just snapped on to the flashlight. I personally will not recommend to use it on duty, because it will not hold the light securely on your belt, especially when entering or exiting the patrol car, chasing the bad guy...

The lanyard is nice, but has no predetermined breaking point, so beware of getting caught with it.

The holster is a nice give-away, but nothing more (This is the case with nearly every manufacturer). The front and back is made of sturdy nylon, but the sides are made of a thin and flimsy stretch material, which will not withstand the hard duty use for a long time.
You have to find a good holster - but this is not as easy as it sounds. Because of the bigger head of the XML-flashlights (compared to the Surefire 6P size) most of the usual suspects won't fit.
I have an maxpedition 5" flashlight holster, which I really love. It is extremely sturdy and fits beneath your shirt on plain clothes duty. But the XT11 is just a bit too big on the head. You can get it inside (bezel down), but it is hard work. Using the holster with the XT11 bezel up is fine - but this solution is prone to accidental activation when sitting inside a car.
The Blackhawk Mod-U-Lok (the Gladius Holster) will fit with the bezel up. The switch is protected, the flashlight is held securely in place. But it can move vertically (about 1cm) which can make a rattling sound.

So, I don't have the perfect holster yet. There are some good kydex holsters, but these are primarily suited for an duty belt of an uniformed officer. When working in plain clothes, it makes more sense to use a nylon holster, because you can hide it much better. I am still looking for the perfect one.

customer service

Well, I got my flashlight from our official distributor schiermeier.biz. For everyone living in Germany , he is a great partner to deal with with a 100% score in the flashlight community!
I can highly recommend to buy your duty flashlight from an well known dealer with high reputation, even if you have to pay some $ more. Your duty flashlight is a tool, a tool you need. If there is a defect or it stopps working, a good dealer can resolve the issue in a short time.

preliminary observations:

For quite some time I recommend Klarus XT-flashlights to the other officers around me. Everyone, who switched from Ledlenser or noname-lights to Klarus is very happy and I did not get a single complain. The XT is not very expensive, has a high built quality and a great user interface.
There are only a few aspects which can be improved: the knurling and the clip. Regarding the holster, it is the challenge of the user to find the best holster for his needs. Our distributor and Klarus already discussed the holster topic, maybe we will see a great holster from them some time.

Michael

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review :)
Did you really get a 'old'-style booth-cover with the new style switch? ;)

grinsefalle

Enlightened
Thanks for the review :)
Did you really get a 'old'-style booth-cover with the new style switch? ;)

Yes, the parts came with it. I didn't disassemble the tailcap (I will do it, when there is some more time), but I think that the cover and the switch are the same as in the previous model. It's only the rocker part, which is new. A single part, which improves the handling...

Michael

kj2

Flashaholic
Yes, the parts came with it. I didn't disassemble the tailcap (I will do it, when there is some more time), but I think that the cover and the switch are the same as in the previous model. It's only the rocker part, which is new. A single part, which improves the handling...

Michael

Looked closer at the pic now, and indeed looks like the new plastic-cover sits above the rubber booth-cover.

Danielsan

Enlightened
The Klarus lights looking really solid and well done but it seems to me they dont have a huge fanbase, more and more flashlight manufacturers copy the unique thumb rocker switch. I always thought the police in germany use Fenix lights, i know the firefighters use those neon colored "plastic" lights, probably underwater kinetics UK4AA

TheeBadOne

Newly Enlightened
I've had a 600 lumen XT11 for just under 2 yrs & enjoyed it.

I got the XT11 upgrade a week ago & it's more of what I liked, along with an improved tail switch.

Highly recommended.

grinsefalle

Enlightened
The Klarus lights looking really solid and well done but it seems to me they dont have a huge fanbase, more and more flashlight manufacturers copy the unique thumb rocker switch. I always thought the police in germany use Fenix lights, i know the firefighters use those neon colored "plastic" lights, probably underwater kinetics UK4AA

Klarus is really solid. After long conversations with their official distributor, they seem to be a really good company. They think about their products, they don't squeeze every lumen out of them to make them more reliable and more useful, they listen to their customers. All in all, I am inpressed. Klarus does not do this aggressive marketing via all social networks, that is a reason why other brands are more popular.

In Bavaria (ond other German states) there is only one official flashlight from Ledwave (or several slightly different models from Ledwave). I have testet two of them and they are - well, let's say they are not good :)
LedLenser is seen very often inside police, because they do a lot of advertising and marketing through our labor unions. Most of the officers, who have the chance to handle a serious flashlight, skipped LL and moved on to Fenix or Eagletac or similar brands.

Michael

Latest posts