Maxtorch        

Thread: Knipex Plier Wrench

Flashaholic

Default Knipex Plier Wrench

To understand where I'm coming from I always liked pliers... I used to live in a very poor country where you had to fix everything with some old rusted pliers and a flat-blade screwdriver (and even those would get easily stolen, even by acquaintances or co-workers). The ones I've had for many years would work just fine for turning screws (assuming they weren't too big) but of course would also make a good job of rounding the edges (it would be common to unscrew such a rounded thing for the last time with a vice instead of pliers, spanner or similar).

Anyway by the turn of the century I've seen for the first time a Leatherman (probably one of the originals) and I had to have one! Now truth to be told the needle-nose type of pliers don't help much with bigger hex screws/nuts and you just couldn't apply enough pressure to keep the jars shut when turning. They worked even worse than normal pliers for turning "hex things".

Fast forward some more years and about 4-5 years ago I've got a bike where you need a 19 mm spanner for the front wheel. All the dedicated bike pocket tools go up to about 15mm (the ones that look like a SAK and have a few ring-spanners on them and/or some hex "screwdrivers"). There is also some kind of bike multitool that is basically just a sheet of metal with some cuts and slots - but those are quite nasty to turn and also was impossible to find one (and anyway they go only up to 17 - maybe 18 mm max).

I've been on a lookout for years for something for 19 mm and I wasn't willing to settle for a 19 mm spanner (or maybe cut a spanner in two to make it lighter or something like that). I was carrying an adjustable 10-20mm spanner but it was rather heavy and it had a lot of play and it was always managing to either round at least 2 of the edges of a nut or get somehow stuck on the nut if you would tighten it too much to get rid of the play.
    At some point lately I've seen in a forum recommended the "Knipex Plier Wrench" (86 05 150 is the model I have now, if interested in precisely what I'm talking about). I've been thinking it would work worse than an adjustable spanner which is worse than an open-ended spanner.

Well, I was wrong. Surprisingly it works BETTER than an open-ended spanner and it goes to a ridiculous 27 mm (and it works equally well on any small nut)! The "torque-amplification" mechanism works wonders and you never have the problem of not being able to "squeeze" the pliers well enough to rotate any nut. And is thin enough to be used for the pedal as well (you need to go with a thin open-ended spanner to screw or unscrew a pedal).

And at well under 200g can be combined with a smaller SAK and still be lighter that many multi-tools. Haven't been excited about any tool or torch or anything in years...

Default Re: Knipex Plier Wrench

I'm glad someone else has found Knipex tools. Everything they make is really good, especially their pliers. Or Chanel locks, whatever you want to call them.
    Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

I'm a believer in the Knipex plier wrench and have the 86 03 180 model. It has been used to repair lawn mowers, tractors, and several other tasks.

The knipex 87 01 125 Cobra pliers (see photo) is another good tool. It is small enough to carry inside a pocket. It is made of forged steel and stronger than the stainless steel cast pliers found on most multitools.

Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

Knipex is THE manufacturer for any kind of tongs / pliers... in Germany.

Nothing at all coming up to these in a matter of liability and service life and most of professional users in Germany would not even understand the question which brand to by a tong / plier from.

Cheers

RBR

Flashaholic

Indeed I've been debating with myself for days if not weeks but today I also ordered the small Cobra 87 01 125. I really have enough tools but always there's one that fits some niche, just this one...like 90% of the CPFers I bet!
    I expect it to be even better as single tool when used to replace pliers and even to do easily the nuts up to 20 mm (they say up to 27) - although of course this is only for emergency portable (think bike) work - I really don't want to mess up nuts anymore.

Flashaholic

I have some 10+ yrs old AA holders that just don't make contact, there's some problem between the clip/spring there's some problem. I used the "plier wrench" referenced above and squeezed ... like butter - now everything is making contact.

Today the postman dropped the small 125 mm cobra as well (87 01 125). Boy, this is sexy. It looks tiny, you can hide it in your palm ... but I tried it on some 15 mm nuts ... you can strip the threads if that's what you want. Granted, this is not something you want to use regularly if you have the choice (I've already seen some metal into its jars) but really, 20+ mm (they say 27) nuts capacity and 80-something grams ... I can't wait to show this to my friend who showed me the first Leatherman :-)

I've got several pair of knipex pliers. I've got a pair of 87 01 250's for work, which are just over 3 years old.

I've also got a pair of the 87 01 125's, and a couple of pairs of the 7" Cobra pliers as well.

I've got a pair of 12 old 250's, but replaced them with the pair above due to the larger jaw opening.

These are awesome pliers. I use them everyday at work, and quite a bit at home as well.

I love these pliers, I havev4 total, the most interesting of them is the set with smooth flat jaws, so it doesn't damage plumbing when used (no teeth marks left behind)

If I find them on sale I always buy another pair, even if I dont need em.. lol

Flashaholic

Just random observation based on trying to pull a cork from a bottle...

I've done this quite a few times last month, just for the sake of it - pulled the cork with normal corkscrew opener, poor some wine, then put the cork back (not all the way), then store outside (AKA the big refrigerator).

THEN pull the cork - either with Knipex 125mm Cobra or with Leatherman Wave.

Here's what I've found: when you do it with the Wave you can't close much the jars - it isn't bad, still well within "ok, I can squeeze that and it won't slip" but both the jars and the handles are way open. It is more like grabbing the cork with scissors (I think you can well imagine that...).

With the Knipex Cobra it's completely another world: the jars are almost parallel, the handles are also not too far apart, this rulz.

The Knipex Plier Wrench goes well with the Knipex Cobra Pliers. I have both in a couple of different sizes, though the 5 inch versions are the smallest I have.

Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

KNIPEX ...~~~... there is no substitute !!! twice the price but unless you lose them you'll not substitute find a better tool!!!!
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

Flashaholic*

My wife got me the seven piece insulated set for Christmas. Fantastic, and I can't wait to use them. My first Knipex tools.they feel nice even next my old Kleins. I think she's scared of me doing a lot of panel work.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

I am an electrician and only purchase Knipex cutters, pliers etc superb quality tools. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Enlightened

Bit of a bump....

Anyone who has the 150mm plier wrench able to confirm if it will open to 30mm at a push? Even if the handles don't close fully.

I don't really need something as big as the 180mm wrench (pocket-ability!) But occasionally need to deal with a propane bottle regulator at 30mm! If I have to I'll probably get the larger ones now and the 125mm later, but if the 150's will stretch to 30mm they're a perfect compromise.

If you can live with a Cobra pump plier the 150mm size will do it.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...501&artID=3006

If it has to be a plier wrench you´ll have to pick the 180mm version, everything else is tinkering.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...500&artID=2939

Cheers

RBR

Unenlightened

I find the Pliers Wrench very handy for little sheet metal projects. Like a little hand held vise

Quote Originally Posted by parnass View Post
    The Knipex Plier Wrench goes well with the Knipex Cobra Pliers. I have both in a couple of different sizes, though the 5 inch versions are the smallest I have.

those are the exact two I have as well. I carry one of them next to my Victorinox Swisstool everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by busseguy View Post
    those are the exact two I have as well. I carry one of them next to my Victorinox Swisstool everyday!
    Could you compare these two?

I have had bigger Cobras pump pliers for years but have never tried the plier wrench type. I am looking to get one of the 5" versions for carrying around all the time. If you had to pick one or the other - which would you chose?

Despite the similar appearance, they are really fairly different tools .... Do you need a pliers, or a wrench ? Pinching, or turning ?

The cobra is an amazing pliers, but the pliers-wrench is more of an adjustable wrench.
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-23-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Despite the similar appearance, they are really fairly different tools .... Do you need a pliers, or a wrench ? Pinching, or turning ?

The cobra is an amazing pliers, but the pliers-wrench is more of an adjustable wrench.
    Hi archimedes,

Thanks for the reply! I have the 180mm "cobra" pliers and the 300mm "alligator" pliers. I have to say that, not counting knives and flashlights, the 180mm Cobra is my favorite of all the tools I own. Amazingly versatile. Compact yet with a huge jaw capacity with multiple uses. Weighs very little but quite strong.

I just wanted to buy a new smaller Knipex for EDC and wondered if I should also look at the Silver Plier Wrench. Since this will be for EDC I am looking for a wrench that can do as much as possible: Pinching, turning bolts, turning round stock, etc. It sounds like I should stick with the Cobra if I want a tool with as many uses as possible?

Yes, cobra would be my choice for that.
    ... is the archimedes peak