Niteye EYE10 vs JETBeam RRT01?

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to replace my Sunwayman V11R that has become unreliable :(. I know that these 2 are practically the same, so is there any reason to choose one over the other?

I'm also open to other suggestions, I've ruled out the Nitecore SRT3 because it's bigger than I care to carry in my pocket.
Requirements:
1. Control ring for brightness
2. Needs to accept my IMRs
3. 500+ lumens
4. No larger than the V11R, it's the largest I can comfortably carry.

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish I could say I have both to compare, but I have the RRT01 and it is one amazing light. I usually run it on an 18350 IMR and max output is ridiculous. Goes lower than you could ever use, and has the perfect amount of travel IMO. But who knows, the Niteye could be identical in which case it is awesome too..;)

cyclesport

Enlightened
I have both and they're essentially the same light except the EYE 10 has 11 detents (spring loaded ball bearings locking in relieved divots) basically giving the EYE 10 eleven preset levels...even though it is really a true IV design. The RRT-01's ring spins freely.

A couple of things...

My EYE 10 is one of the first gen lights with a very robust build and an older XM-L emitter with approx a 6500/6800K tint. Iv'e had several of the RRT-01's and the older XM-L versions were similar in build quality and tint as the older EYE 10. The newest RRT-01 is a XM-L2 emitter with a slightly warmer (still cool) tint maybe in the 6000K range by my eye, however the build quality seems a little flimsier that the older model with a very free spinning ring that IMO could/should be damped with a heavier grease, but it otherwise operates fine.

Also with a little judicious searching, you can find these for around $55/$65 occasionally...otherwise you could pay as much as $89/$90 depending on the source.

EDIT: One other thing...the EYE 10 seems to be visibly driven harder that any of the RRT01's I've had. It just screams using 18350 IMRs and is easily brighter that the newest XM-L2 RRT-01. I think selfbuilt measured the original EYE 10 at 662 lumens on max if memory serves.

Last edited:

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
Cyclesport, the detents are actually the deciding factor for me. My V11R originally came well greased, but it went away over time, and felt too loose like what you describe with the RRT-01.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. Main differences:

1. Eye10's ring has detentes throughout the range of the ring's motion. Turning the ring makes a loud clicking sound like unzipping a zipper. (in contrast turning the RRT-01's ring is silent) Even though the EYE 10's driver can operate as true infinitely variable, the detentes effectively give the light preset levels.
2. Eye 10's control ring is only knurled on one side, making it harder to turn. In contrast the RRT-01 has a fully knurled ring for better grip.
3. Eye 10 is driven harder and has higher output.
4. Comparing the output on my XML RRT-01 and XML EYE10, the EYE10's output looks a bit more pure white. Both are cool tint though.
5. The Eye 10 has a hidden strobe and SOS. The RRT-01 only has hidden SOS.

Of the 2, I prefer the RRT-01 because of its quieter and grippier control ring.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
I have stock and Vinh modified versions of the RRT01 (XML2, XML2 5000K, Nichia219) and a stock version of the Eye10. All of these are great lights, particularly with 18350s. They are similar in many ways with the largest difference being a largely smooth ring on the RRT01 and a multi detent ring on the Eye10.

The Eye10 inspires more confidence for EDC because of the detent ring. It seems like there is a lot less danger of accidental activation. While I was always nervous about carrying the smooth ring on the RRT01, in reality I've never experienced an accidental activation so maybe it's slight off detent is sufficient.

As as it turns out I prefer the RRT01 and use them often as utility lights so I get the exact brightness I want for a given situation. The 11 levels on the Eye10 turns out to be a lot less versatile for me but others may be perfectly happy with that many levels. Both are good lights and ultimately it's your choice.

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
I have both. Main differences:

1. Eye10's ring has detentes throughout the range of the ring's motion. Turning the ring makes a loud clicking sound like unzipping a zipper. (in contrast turning the RRT-01's ring is silent) Even though the EYE 10's driver can operate as true infinitely variable, the detentes effectively give the light preset levels.

Of the 2, I prefer the RRT-01 because of its quieter and grippier control ring.

Ok, so you went and complicated it for me. Reading this made me go and find a video of the EYE10, and I think the clicking will drive me crazy. I think I'm back to the RRT01. I'm glad now that I haven't checked out at Amazon yet :) I think I'll ruminate some more...

aau007

Enlightened
BTW, someone over at cpfmp is selling an extension tube for the rrt01 so you can use unprotected 18650 (or any 18650 shorter than 67 I believe) battery in the light.