Stream light

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, absolutely. Streamlight and Surefire both have reputations for being very reliable and dependable. They are not ever at the top of the lumens game but they are more than close enough and have useful features for various needs. Many cops and firefighters use Streamlights everyday and they have proven themselves reliable in those markets.

GoVegan

Enlightened
I love Streamlight's simple UI and cost. I've been pocket EDCing a Protac 1AA and a Microstream for well over 1 year, and they are my two favorite lights.

However they have some serious quality control issues.
Almost every Streamlight I have purchased has had issues:

Microstream (28 lumens model) - purchased 2013/02 - perfect no issues.

Nano - purchased 2013/02 - absolute rubbish. When on a keychain and a key touches the front of the head it makes a contact and turns on the light (many people have reported the same issue in the Amazon.com reviews. I purchased 2 more for gifts, don't know if they have the same issue or not.

Microstream (28 lumens model) - purchased 2013/03 - gifted, AFAIK no issues.

Protac 1AA (70 lumens model) - purchased 2013/05 - after a couple of months (may have been there from day 1) I noticed intermittent flicker, tried cleaning etc, happens on high and low for several seconds after being on. I've tested and it seems to be the head. Finally I've decided to send in under warranty.

Microstream (35 lumens model) - purchased 2014/04 - brand new but had a couple of small corroded areas inside the battery tube, Amazon.com replaced, only the replacement has some type of glue or something over most of the LED, and that does affect the beam pattern, so returning that too.

So 4 out of my 5 Streamlights have had issues which is really not acceptable. Admittedly I've had a brand new Quark QPA with head issues too, but none of my Fenix lights (E01 x 5, LD20, TK41) have ever had any issues and they have taken a beating.

Overall, I still believe they make great lights but they really need better QC, and I think they should bring back their manufacturing to the US. Note some of their bigger lights such as Stinger and Strion are still made in the US.

Last edited:

sccanissan

Newly Enlightened
I love mine. I have a Stinger DS 190L that I use while on duty and it has never let me down rain or shine.

The only issue I have ever had is some times when I go to turn it on it will go straight to strobe.

Then I have to click the switch a few times.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Reliability depends on the models being discussed. While my Nano failed miserably, my Streamlight Stylus (AAAA) pen-light with its momentary-on switch is still going strong quite a few years later.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Streamlight's simple UI and cost. I've been pocket EDCing a Protac 1AA and a Microstream for well over 1 year, and they are my two favorite lights.

However they have some serious quality control issues.
Almost every Streamlight I have purchased has had issues:

Microstream (28 lumens model) - purchased 2013/02 - perfect no issues.

Nano - purchased 2013/02 - absolute rubbish. When on a keychain and a key touches the front of the head it makes a contact and turns on the light (many people have reported the same issue in the Amazon.com reviews. I purchased 2 more for gifts, don't know if they have the same issue or not.

Microstream (28 lumens model) - purchased 2013/03 - gifted, AFAIK no issues.

Protac 1AA (70 lumens model) - purchased 2013/05 - after a couple of months (may have been there from day 1) I noticed intermittent flicker, tried cleaning etc, happens on high and low for several seconds after being on. I've tested and it seems to be the head. Finally I've decided to send in under warranty.

Microstream (35 lumens model) - purchased 2014/04 - brand new but had a couple of small corroded areas inside the battery tube, Amazon.com replaced, only the replacement has some type of glue or something over most of the LED, and that does affect the beam pattern, so returning that too.

So 4 out of my 5 Streamlights have had issues which is really not acceptable. Admittedly I've had a brand new Quark QPA with head issues too, but none of my Fenix lights (E01 x 5, LD20, TK41) have ever had any issues and they have taken a beating.

Overall, I still believe they make great lights but they really need better QC, and I think they should bring back their manufacturing to the US. Note some of their bigger lights such as Stinger and Strion are still made in the US.

I see no reason to bring back manufacturing to the US&A unless I can buy them cheaper,it does not bother me in the least where or who makes them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I see no reason to bring back manufacturing to the US&A unless I can buy them cheaper,it does not bother me in the least where or who makes them.

Keep in mind that many others have the very opposite opinion. I have no qualms about paying a bit more for products made in-country by workers who are actually paid a decent standard of living. Especially since those products will be made to a higher standard as well.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that many others have the very opposite opinion. I have no qualms about paying a bit more for products made in-country by workers who are actually paid a decent standard of living. Especially since those products will be made to a higher standard as well.

I keep in mind all sorts on public forums and welcome everyone's opinion and keep in mind i also have an opinion and i am not prepared to pay a few shekels extra but prefer to pay a little less which may well be opposite others.I totally disagree about the idea that the product will be made to a higher quality either but again that is just my opinion.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Streamlights are generally dependable. Some fail, but so do some Surefires, etc. When you sell hundreds of thousands of ANYTHING, some will fail, that's just the nature of manufacturing.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I keep in mind all sorts on public forums and welcome everyone's opinion and keep in mind i also have an opinion and i am not prepared to pay a few shekels extra but prefer to pay a little less which may well be opposite others.I totally disagree about the idea that the product will be made to a higher quality either but again that is just my opinion.

I shall keep in mind that you are keeping in mind that others keep different opinions in mind.

Snellvillegalighter

Newly Enlightened
Not recommended. I got a rechargable wall mount streamlight a while back (+5years). I used it once every other month if that. It suddenly die for no apparent reason after 3 years. contact Streamlight CS and they pretty much told me to go buy another one because mind is old. I sure did buy a few dozen more flashlights but non are streamlight.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Very reliable with lifetime warranty.

Everyone always mistakenly says that but actually it's a Limited Lifetime Warranty, their webpage states:

"Streamlight warrants its products to be free of defects for a lifetime of use except for batteries and bulbs, abuse and normal wear*. We will repair, replace or refund the purchase price of this product should we determine it to be defective. This limited lifetime warranty also excludes rechargeable batteries, chargers, switches and electronics which have a 2 year warranty with proof of purchase."

So in actual fact on paper you get better warranty from Fenix and Foursevens, although to be honest I know some people have reported of Streamlight repairing faulty switches after 2 years.

durallymax

Newly Enlightened

Made to a higher standard? Please, I'm let down by more American products than anything. Made in America is nothing more than marketing to many companies, to save money they hire mouth breathers but the package can still say Made in USA so everyone feels good inside. People act like workers in China live in a sespool and get beat with whips. Not really how it works. They can actually create very high quality work if that is what you specify, however most execs specify a deadline and price point. The Chinese aim to please and will meet your deadline and price but sacrifice quality to get there. Quantity, Quality, Deadline, Price. You can pick two of them and forget the other two as they will be sacrificed to meet your primary demands.

As for Streamlight, they are okay. I used to use them because all of the tool trucks had them. Used their Stylus Pro pen lights and thought they were great until I found better products. I suggest a Four Sevens Preon instead. Much brighter, multiple levels and better finish. But I do like streamlights button better.

The Anodizing is very poor. After a couple months of hard use the streamlight would have little color left and the lens would no longer be clear. I switched to using a V11R Sunwayman and there isn't even a speck missing and the lens is still very clear. I beat it up as much as the streamlight. The Preon I don't use as much but its finish has held up better as well.

The finish doesn't make it work, but is important to some people. The lens is an issue, comparing my Stylus to a buddies newer one was pretty sad how much light was lost through the cloudy lens.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would respond with a well-detailed post. But.... Your baiting post smells a bit old and fishy. No thanks. ;)