Maglite switch stuck after battery leak

Noobynator

Newly Enlightened
Hello Guys,

lately I wanted to replace the batteries on my 4D maglite because I remembered that for some reason it was switched on in my backpack and the batteries went empty. While removing them I noticed the last one was stuck in the barrel. After banging it on my desk a few times it came out. Looking into the barrel I saw a greyish substance on the barrel walls. It didn't take that long for me to realise that the batteries had leaked. To clean the maglite, I want to take out the switch assembly so I can pour in some citric acid (it were alkalines) to dissolve and remove the grey remains. I however have some trouble getting the switch out. My maglite contains a D in front of the serial number and I've found out that you have to put a hex wrench down the switch to unscrew a screw inside and loosen the switch. This is where I encounter trouble. The hex key doesn't seem to grip onto something. I can turn it around without feeling any resistance which is strange when unscrewing something. I just tried to turn it and hoped it would come out. It see,s however that the battery fluid leaked around it, jamming it inside the barrel. Thinking that the screw was loosened, I tried banging it gently from the top using a hammer and a screwdriver, but it didn't move at all. Now the question, is the screw still in place, or is the switch too jammed to be removed (I would think that banging it with a hammer should make it come out). How should I actually remove the switch assembly and what should I feel when I'm unscrewing the switch correctly. Any resistance on the hex key or something?

Conte

Enlightened
Did you try screwing it the other way to see if it would tighten? Are you sure you have the correct size Allen Key?

Its hard to miss the screw cause the hole guides you right to it. When you get it, you'll know.

Noobynator

Newly Enlightened
I have used an 2mm allen key, which I believe is a 5/64 on imperial scale.
I believe I have tried to turn it the other way but didn't notice anything.

Conte

Enlightened
Yeah, that's the right sized key.

Hmmm. Just to help you troubleshoot, I'm going to get the depth on my mag.

With the switch turned off and the screw in tight,
my allen key goes about 35.11mm deep into the hole to engage the screw. (1.382inches)

Check to see if your allen is going in that deep, maybe you are not reaching the screw. Maybe the leak got up into it and is blocking the screw.

One thing is for sure, assuming your mag was correctly assembled at the factory and has not been tampered with since,
there is definitely a screw, and it's definitely tight, and until you loosen it, it is going to be very difficult to remove the switch tower.

The screw has a point that bites into the side of the mag body. If you try and bang it out with the screw tight, you're going to cut a pretty deep gouge all along the body on the way out providing you don't just end up breaking the plastic tower assembly first.

Noobynator

Newly Enlightened
Mine got in around 33 mm. Which is 2mm short compared to you.
Is there some way to look through the switch hole to see where the screw is at?

Conte

Enlightened
Oh yeah ?

Well I don't expect the tolerances to be that off so that should be a good judge that you are not reaching the screw.

Finding the screw is not a problem, you don't have to hunt for it. The channel thru' the switch will guide you right too it, so you don't have to worry that you are missing it.

The problem we've found here is that the path to the screw is obstructed.
Maybe if you used a needle, or piece of wire, or paperclip, you can dig around and see if you can clear the obstruction.

If you scrape around there and some of that white crap falls out then that will be clear that the leak got up in there.
In which case, you can maybe dig the crap out enough to engage the screw.

I measured a mag screw, the allen hole is about 2mm deep, so I think you're right on top of it.

Conte

Enlightened
They changed the screw ?

Damn, I had no idea.
I guess I missed that thread.

Latest posts