Foursevens Atom AO - When is it due for a refresh?

passive101

Enlightened
It looks like the Atom AO has been out for a while. When will FourSeven's release their new updated lights? This looks to be about the smallest AAA light I can get and it will look nice on my keychain. but if there is a new model coming out in the next few months I can hold out as I have a Micro Freedom that is working fine right now.

weez82

Enlightened
With electronics it's best to just get what you want now and not worry about updates. Get what you want and dont look back :)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Atom PO used to be the Preon PO. The Atom line now includes CR2, CR123 and AAA models. These have a new UI (progressive twisty) and follow the same minimalist design. A titanium Atom AO was available for a short time and is gone. The Atom AO does not have the progressive twisty UI and I don't know if there are plans to change it or even if it is worth waiting for - twist on/off/on for a 2-mode light seems reasonable to me and is very reliable. The Atom AO has a magnet on the tail, which some find annoying on a key chain. (You can demagnetize by heating with a lighter.) The Atoms are mule type lights - no reflector and very floody. This is very useful for close tasks and walking and you should be aware of this design (which isn't highlighted on product description).

Another very small AAA light is the DQG AAA (twisty). This uses a TIR and provides a floody beam with slightly more throw than the AO. DQG recently introduced a reverse clicky model of the AAA. The DQGs are available with neutral or cool white emitters.

passive101

Enlightened
I can't find any photos of the Atom PO and the DQG III next to each other. Is there a big difference between them for size or run time? What is DQG's website?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the way to the left. And yes, I have a problem with AAA lights...

image.jpg

Check the CPF Market Place (you need to register) or try google. You can also search CPF to find references to the DQG AAA.

Etsu

Enlightened
The Atom AO does not have the progressive twisty UI and I don't know if there are plans to change it or even if it is worth waiting for - twist on/off/on for a 2-mode light seems reasonable to me and is very reliable.

Not so much for the Atom A0. I find it often flickers on high, unless you really tighten it well. Also, mode skipping happens way too often as you're tightening it.

I know it can be done properly; the L3 Illuminations L10 does it very well. I think the Atom A0 sacrificed quality in order to get to the smallest size possible.

I still like it (because of its small size and floody beam), but also find it my most annoying light. I think it's due for a refresh, if nothing more than to fix the annoying mode issues.

ven

Flashaholic
All the way to the left. And yes, I have a problem with AAA lights...

image.jpg

Check the CPF Market Place (you need to register) or try google. You can also search CPF to find references to the DQG AAA.

I love that pic WOW fantastic family there,agree you do have a problem..................I see more room for lights,too much empty space!!!!!!

:laughing:

:thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
With electronics it's best to just get what you want now and not worry about updates. Get what you want and dont look back :)

I like that,very well said:D after all we could wait forever for the next best light and from what i have seen,updates dont always mean better !

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is an old family picture and there are some new members. The DQG AAA clickie needs to be in the picture for sure. Long weekend here in Switzerland and I may gather the family members for a new picture.

I love that pic WOW fantastic family there,agree you do have a problem..................I see more room for lights,too much empty space!!!!!!

:laughing:

:thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
It is an old family picture and there are some new members. The DQG AAA clickie needs to be in the picture for sure. Long weekend here in Switzerland and I may gather the family members for a new picture.

:twothumbs:twothumbs

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For its purpose, I don't think it needs a refresh. I have the Preon P0, and I think the Atom A0 is supposed to be the exact same thing. I don't use it much, but I can't think of anything it really needs to improve it as a keychain light. It's about as small as it can be, it has a moonlight mode and a reasonable high mode. The mode-switching works and is intuitive. The full-spill works well for a keychain light. I like the magnet and the GITD. Style and finish look nice.

The only thing wrong with mine is that it eats o-rings. I don't have anymore for it, so I use it without. It works even better (much easier to turn on and change modes one-handed) without an o-ring, although I give up waterproof.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice collection Yoyoman, I definitely use my DQG ti AAA more than the P0. Advantages- neutral white option, optics, titanium, reversible clip (great for clipping to my hat), both have magnetic tail, supports li ion cells.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DQG AAA twisty and clickie have nice neutral tints and tir beams. The magnet and pure flood beam on the PO/AO are also very useful.
image.jpg