My daughter sent me some Dorcy Spyder Lights...

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
...she's a GOOD GIRL!!!

I was talking to her on the phone a few weeks ago (she lives in Vegas), and she just happened to mention that they have Costco stores out there. As soon as she mentioned that, the wheels started to turn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif (...there's no Costcos here in Pensacola). Anyway, I got them in the mail the other day, and for the cost (somewhere around 28 bucks for two lights, four Duracell Ultra 123's and two corduron holsters), I think they're a GREAT deal! They have smooth reflectors so the beam quality leaves a little bit to be desired, but they are extremely bright. In fact, they're every bit as bright and throw a little better than my Legend LX. The tail switch is on/off only (no intermittent), but the click is extremely quiet and FAR easier to activate than the LX's switch. It's also slightly recessed to avoid accidental activation.

As far as size is concerned, they're exactly the same length as my E2/KL1, and the bezel diameter is somewhere in between a KL1 and the Legend LX (KL1: 1"; Spyder: 1.25"; LX: 1.5" approx). The body is fitted with a nice rubber grip, and the whole package feels pretty robust.

Will these lights end up in the Flashoholic Hall of Fame? NOT!!! But for the $$$, IMHO, they're a GREAT deal. Like I said, they're extremely bright, they seem quite durable, they've got excellent throw, and for two of 'em the price is hard to beat. I think it's a shame that these lights aren't more available (Costco only, as far as I know...), because they make great glove box lights, and they seem to have excellent modding potential. I think I'm gonna keep one "stock", and the other one will undoubtedly end up with a luxeon of some sort. If you can get your hands on a pair of these, for the price, I highly recommend them! FYI...

PJD

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: My daughter sent me some Dorcy Spyder Lights..

Are they showing up in Costco regularly now? They're on Ebay but they tend to go for considerablymore than 14 bucks each. How does the battery tube thickness compare with the E2's? How does the weight compare? What kind of bulb is used, and is there a spare? Yes, they've gotten good reviews and attracted a lot of interest here when they came out, but they seemed to be scarce so we haven't been hearing so much about them since then.

celler

Newly Enlightened

Congratulations! I hope I fair as well this Christmas. I had not seen this flashlight before, so I surfed over to Dorcy's website to check out their offerings. Pretty impressive. Wonder who carryies the full line?

At any rate, I took a look at the Spyder (nice light) and noticed there was a recall related to the Fugi CR123A batteries. It does not seem to have anything to do with the flashlight itself and since yours came with Duracell batteries, you should be good to go. I did a search and did not see where this recall had been posted before so I thought other Dorcey owners might want to know.

Happy Holidays!!

Craig.

Tombeis

Enlightened

The local Costco still has about 80 packages of the Spyder. They all have Duracell batteries.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

These lights under the name of Dorcy Xenon are available at our BJ's warehouse shop for 27 or 28 bucks. I think it's the same deal. I'm tempted whenever I'm in there. They're probably gone now.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr...battery tube thickness appears to be about the same as the E2's. The bulb is bi-pin, and appears identical to the bulb of the Legend LX. The package stated something like 112.3 lumens (we all know about manufacturer's specs...), and also stated the volts/amps, although I forgot to make note of it before discarding the package. They don't come with a spare bulb, but since I'll be modding one of them to LED, I just use the mod candidate's bulb as my spare. The included batteries are Duracell Ultras, so I have no complaints there. Weight-wise, it seems just a tad heavier than the E2, but the difference was insignificant at best IMO. Anyway, I think anyone who plunks down 28 bucks for a pair of these lights won't be disappointed!

PJD