Maglite Shoulder Strap Mystery

DeepCCoug

Newly Enlightened
I've got a real puzzler on my hands and I'm coming to the pros for help. I just bought a 6D Maglite with the TerraLUX TLE-6Ex drop-in, XCape "contact" bezel and glass-breaking end cap. This thing is going to be a decently bright light (I have an Olight SR90 if need to turn night into day). However, it's heavy and I would like to put a shoulder strap on it for ease of carry.

That is where the mystery comes in. I've owned rechargeable Maglites for years and they always came with a shoulder strap. The strap came with the light in the factory-sealed box. However, when I looked on the Maglite web site, there are no shoulder straps available. I wrote to Maglite about this and asked them where to find their shoulder straps. Maglite replied that they do not make or sell shoulder straps.

I wrote back to them and told them that I've bought at least 3 rechargeable Maglites in Korea and they all had shoulder straps in the factory sealed box. The customer service rep from Maglite wrote back that she had worked for Maglite for 29 years and Maglite had NEVER provided shoulder straps.

So, I've got two questions. First, does anyone else remember buying rechargeable Maglites with shoulder straps? Second, does anyone have a suggestion about where to get a suitable shoulder strap/mounting arrangement for this Maglite 6D? I don't like the belt ring Maglite sells for something this long.

Any light someone could shine on this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

DeepCCoug

Newly Enlightened
Hello Norman,

I looked at Holkin before I raised the issue here. Holkin lists the SMGD6 as one of their products. Unfortunately, their website doesn't actually allow buying it!

If anyone has a good solution for a shoulder strap for a 6D Maglite I would be very glad to read it!

Norman

Newly Enlightened
Ah, sorry, I guess I missed that part.

How are you with a sewing machine (or just needle & thread)? Looking at the pictures, the strap's design appears to be quite basic, with that black zip tie (most visible on the red Mag) likely keeping each D-ring mount from sliding too much. The webbing connecting the two D-ring mounts keeps them from sliding apart. The shoulder strap itself, I've seen almost the exact same thing in a camping or old military surplus-type store.

Perhaps it's your local importer that added the strap to help encourage you to purchase locally instead of internationally?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, buy a camera strap you like and two velcro straps that would allow you to wrap the barrel of the mag and the ends of the camera straps, and call it a day.

:D