Surefire m951 help....please?

MisterGrubbs

Newly Enlightened
Everyone is at least somewhat familiar with these guys. So, I was tired of the 65lumen halogen bulb and decided to search for a new led replacement.

My goal was to match the output of my TLR-1 HL. Wonderful little weapon light, BTW. Anywho, I amazon hunted for a while and settled on an XML-T6 that would drop in. P60 head. Got it in today(bought multiples for my 951s) and I'm not very impressed. The T6 in the 951 is not quite as floody, but still doesn't throw as far...if that even makes sense. It is similar in output to a non HL TLR-1(300 lumen). Has anyone had better results out of a cheap drop in? This was rated for 650, even though I should have known better I hoped it would be similar to other XML-T6 lights I had.

Cheers fellas

Ryan

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Moved this to LED Flashlights Discussion Forum for, as it does concern LED drop-ins.

Bill

donws2

Newly Enlightened
I'm very much in the same boat as MisterGrubbs. I purchased a couple new old stock GI M952's and want to up grade to a LED drop in unit that has a good throw with some spill. All of the lights are going on rifles for predator and hog control so a long beam would be my first priority but some side illumination would be nice as well for hunting in brush and such.

MisterGrubbs

Newly Enlightened
I'm very much in the same boat as MisterGrubbs. I purchased a couple new old stock GI M952's and want to up grade to a LED drop in unit that has a good throw with some spill. All of the lights are going on rifles for predator and hog control so a long beam would be my first priority but some side illumination would be nice as well for hunting in brush and such.

I will be using one for night vision hog hunting as well. I did the XML upgrade from cree on amazon. Its stronger than the factory bulbs, but it isn't impressive altogether. Better battery life and slightly brighter, less throw though.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Can't believe no one has done something good with this light!

Well there are some decent options if you need a M9xx series LED drop in. Look for me on Ebay under the same handle. I specialize in Surefire weapon light drop in's. Whether its for the M951/952 or the M961/M962. Just do a search there and I should pop up. If not send me a PM and I can send you a link.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I will be using one for night vision hog hunting as well. I did the XML upgrade from cree on amazon. Its stronger than the factory bulbs, but it isn't impressive altogether. Better battery life and slightly brighter, less throw though.

That's because you should be using an XPG powered LED with a smooth reflector. Will out throw any XML unless you have a custom made deep reflector. And that's not going to be cheap.

MisterGrubbs

Newly Enlightened
That's because you should be using an XPG powered LED with a smooth reflector. Will out throw any XML unless you have a custom made deep reflector. And that's not going to be cheap.

I'm still fairly ignorant here, so bare with me!

M4a1 I'll look you up brother. I think I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I'm after 450-500 otf with reasonable throw