Any UI's with Momentary Max from ON?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious if you guys know of any lights that have a momentary max function from ON - ie, from any lower mode in use. Something that can be operated single-handed and with enough fine control to signal Morse Code. Not interested in MM from OFF as most tactical lights tend to be. Pocketable single cell up to 18650 would be ideal.

I've been using such a "function" for a while now and it has become my favorite UI "feature," but it's a work-around and is not an intended function - just wondering if someone has purposely designed a light with this UI function.

Usage examples: spotting my dog off leash at a distance, signaling cars that pedestrians are ahead, spotting the next trail marker hiking, investigating that "bump" in the woods.

Thanks

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS lights. My light is programmed to be able to have momentary max from any of the other 3 settings.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Surefire LX2 (E-series threads mean you can switch for an aftermarket 18650 body).

Elzetta with high/low tailcap can be used with momentary if you keep the tailcap barely in low mode - just press the outer edge of the tailcap with your thumb to momentarily make contact for high output. Oveready bores them for 18650.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If I am understanding you correctly, any two-stage "tactical" momentary should do this ... such as SureFire L1, L2, A2, LX2, and others, as well as Peak momentary with QTC, and the McGizmo Aleph McE2S.

Although slightly different in mechanical / electronic switch function, effectively the HDS/Ra can do this too (as noted above), and also the two-level McGizmo McLux III / PD series (PD, PD-S, PD Mule, PD Ti, LS20, LS27, etc).

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I overlooked the 18650 preference. Hopefully HDS has 18650 tubes or at least the 17670 tubes. It's been discussed for a while in the HD thread.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome guys, thanks...

shelm, just saw Selfbuilt's review of the TX25C2... looks like it requires a press and hold to access the momentary, so you really can't fire a quick succession of momentary flashes, nor does morse code signaling look possible (except maybe very slow morse)

Cerealand, I mentioned "up to" 18650, so an HDS is in the running - my favorite cell is a 14500, but 16340 is no problem and I've been itching for an HDS. So the light can be programmed to be used @ 5 lumens (for example) and then be able to activate max from a millisecond to 10 sec, just by holding down the clicky for the same time? Can you signal morse code alternating between Max and 5 lms? Didn't think a single clicky would be able to do this... how does it distinguish between a fast dot-dot-dot morse code and a triple click to change modes? or are we talking a rotary version?

KeeblerElf... haha... the sideways pressure on a tight/loose bezel UI is exactly the work-around I'm using now.. works great, but want to try a dedicated function.

Arch, OK I think the Peak w/momentary works.... I can set the low I want via head twist, and dial up max (well any level really) via the momentary switch... the only small thing is that the light would appear to ramp quickly instead of a hard change over..... the later tends to be more noticeable, but not a big deal. How does the SF 2-stage momentary work? From what I've heard, you hold the button halfway for low and all the way for max.... can you click/fix low in (so I don't have to hold it) and then just use/press the button further for momentary max when you need it?

Great suggestions.. thanks guys.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a newer HDS, but on the (very) old ones, while it's true you can program the light to go to momentary max from on, the response time for me was too slow to be ideal for normal-speed morse code, if that's what you truly want. Without that restriction, it's great though.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
I had a suspicion you were already using that work-around, but thought I'd mention it anyway! It's worth pointing out that the Elzetta uses the tight/loose tailcap (rather than bezel), which makes one-handed momentary activation very easy.

The Surefire LX2 is a "tactically correct" two-stage twisty: press slightly for momentary low; press more for momentary max; twist slightly for constant low; twist more for constant max. I'm sure there are other Surefire lights with this kind of tailcap.

Good question about the HDS's ability to distinguish between multiple clicks versus multiple momentary activations to max. Here's the work-around: hold the switch just long enough to go into max mode, then quickly release and repeat. I believe this will allow you to do multiple momentary max bursts in succession, but the delay in activation could make this process less than ideal. I think that's what Joe Talmadge was referring to.

For what it's worth, I thought the Klarus XT11 had a feature similar to the one you're seeking - or maybe it was momentary strobe activation? I never owned one, but thought it had some special UI feature like that.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
How does the SF 2-stage momentary work? From what I've heard, you hold the button halfway for low and all the way for max.... can you click/fix low in (so I don't have to hold it) and then just use/press the button further for momentary max when you need it?

Yes, you can twist slightly for constant low, and from there push the button for momentary max.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp for navigation, 18650 single mode thrower in hand. Or, if you want to exercise your hands and arms while walking, a torch in each hand instead of a headlamp, one of them direct drive or single mode. Or if you're as crazy as me; one on the head and one in each hand.

Also, the Nitecore TM26 can go to 3500 lumens (3800 for XML2) from any of the lower 4 modes with a half press of the switch. A half press takes you back to the level you were before. No morse code capability (as far as I can tell) other than the built in SOS. And it is a sizable light.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
These won't run on 18650, but are what you seek:
LX2
L1
EB1-T
EB2-T
A2L
A2

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the Surefires and Peaks may be the best for this application so far. I don't know morse code or anything, but know I really like the free, unrestricted, and especially "unthinking" ability fire max repeatedly and quickly, slowly, or as many times as I need. The ability to signal morse between low and max just seemed like the right way to describe the functionality and rule out any UIs that required hold/pause for 0.3 secs, stand-on-one-leg-and-hop, etc. UIs. It now sounds like the HDS requires a certain pause too.

Headlamps and monster or multiple lights are out - I already have this functionality in a small 14500 pocket EDC.. Just seeing if I can get a few more variations.

KeeblerElf, yeah I understand how a tailcap twisty, being closer to your thumb with an overhand grip works well, but even the bezel twisty works perfectly with an overhand grip if you locate your pinkie under the bezel for the sideways leverage.

Subwoofer, not sure if I was clear, but this is activating momentary max FROM any lower mode in use - just like car high beam flashers. So if I'm using a constant-on 5 lumen low, I'd like a momentary "switch" for 400 lumens that reverts back to 5 lms when not activated. Maybe I don't understand the UIs of your suggestions, but I thought the SRT series (for example) were just infinitely variable rings with foward clicky - not sure how it goes from low to max and back to low without having to turn the dial?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, as mentioned before the SF L1 has perhaps the best UI for this application. Which is why it was discontinued.

reppans, my friend, you should really try to find a SureFire L1-RD right away ... I think you will be thrilled with the low (red) output, very long (looooooong) runtime, and low/high "tactical" UI :devil:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/316124

It simply hadn't occurred to me that you might not be familiar with this particular flashlight.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Arch... I mostly stick to Eneloop/14500 lights for compatibility with my other gadgets, so I don't know the CR123 market well, but would be OK with a 16340/17670 light.

Since the L1 seems to be discontinued (not a fan of used lights), I'll take a look at the models cland72 has listed.. there's enough retail presence to try them out.

Thanks for the suggestions folks :)

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I have my Armytek Predator programmed so that when the head is fully tightened it only has one level, max. Then when I loosen the head it has 2 levels. So as long as the bezel is fully tightened it has momentary max.

I actually really like how my Spark headlamp works. I think this is closest to what you are wanting. I assume their handheld lights are similar. When the light is off, or turned on to any level, double clicking the button will put it on max. So I can be on a hike with the light on low, and when I want to see something farther away just double click the button to change it to max. This works from any brightness, including off.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but an electronic clicky double click (or clicky and hold, etc) won't be fast enough for the signaling I like doing - I can currently fire 3-4 millisecond flashes in a second, and normally use two quick flashes to warn car pedestrians are ahead. Another way to describe it, besides being morse code capable, is to have something at least equivalent to a car's high beam flashers.

If the Armytek has a loose-tight bezel UI, then the work around KeeblerElf and I use may be possible though :).