Not Sure.....Brain Overload

sccanissan

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,

I have been looking all over for a new small tactical light to carry on my duty belt. I have been having trouble figuring out which one I want or whats best.

I am looking for a good beam not so floody and for around 50ish bucks(i can go a little over) I normal have a Streamlight Stinger DS on belt or in the car.

So far the lights I am looking into are:

1) Thurnite TN12-2014
2) Thurnite T30s
3) or one of the Streamlight or Surefire Tactical light but the are a little more then I want to pay.

So If you guys could weight in a little or suggest another light I would greatly appreciate it

I am stuck in limbo and just need a little push/reassurance lol

Thanks for the help.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2X Pro is a good light and falls within a $50 budget. However, I'd recommend the G2X Tactical (not the Pro version) if one is looking for a true tactical light.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
When you say "Not so floody", what do you mean in terms of something that can be translated into a spec?

Did you want a tight beam with no spill that puts a small, concentrated dot of light on something, or, a large circle of light on something, but on little else?

If you could mentally picture what you had in mind, are you looking for a beam that shined in a perps face, showed only his face? Or maybe put enough lux in the perps eyes to blind them but also showed their hands in case they were reaching for something/trying to chuck evidence, etc? Or enough to also see what the two guys next to him were doing as well, etc?

And, how far away might you be?

Or, are you patrolling a warehouse/park, etc, and need to see someone hiding/a break in a fence at a particular range? (etc)

If you could describe the scenario(s) you had in mind, it could help narrow your options a bit.

:D

sccanissan

Newly Enlightened
I would like a good hotspot with a little flood say to put the spot in someones face and still see the rest of there body or at least the hands I think I am looking for a high candela.

I was looking at the TN12-2014 but it is a EDC light which primarily a flood type light. I am not really sure on the distance I would need

because I also carry a Streamlight Stinger DS. I dont always carry I sometimes leave it in the car if I dont think I will need it.

I also looked into the T30s which I think somewhat fits the bill but I have read and watch some poor reviews on it.

So I am a little stuck and just need a little push thanks for the help guys....

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Surefire is probably your best bang for the buck since the quality in my opinion is superior to other brands like Streamlight, and Surefire's customer service is outstanding.

As mentioned, the G2X Tactical seems to fit your needs perfectly since it has an intense 320 lumen beam with good spill, and it can be had for around $50 if you shop around.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly.... I don't think I'd go with the G2X (pro or tactical).

I LITERALLY just came back from a 2 mile night walk and was carrying my Yellow G2X pro, my Fenix E40, my trusty TK11, and an E50. Yes I'm a nerd, let's get that out of the way :) Sometimes I like to really look at the beams of different lights though and directly compare so I can make opinions that are from actual use.

Anyway. My pick would be the new Fenix TK09. I like the G2X pro, but honestly it doesn't sit in the hand very well. Not having a grip ring like the TK series of Fenix lights makes it a bit slippery in some ways. The tint on the newest G2X lights is very good, a neutral nichia of some sort, but it is still slightly more magenta than my neutral Fenix E50. The beam of the G2X is honestly overall kind of floody, but that may just be me using the laser E40 at the same time :) . There is something else that bugs me using the G2X if you are in a very dark environment. Since the plastic lens is held in by that black ring with the bumps at the front of the bezel it lets out a ring of light OUTSIDE of that black ring that creates this weird ring of light artifact around the main beam. Not a big deal, but it somehow cheapens the light to me compared to something like the Fenix lights or even other SF lights that don't have that retaining ring. I feel like SF needs to change their "lower" end lights to have glass lenses and do away with this nonsense.

And so to what I'd go with... I've owned the TK11 for 1-2 years now at least and it just works. Mine is permanently loc-tited to the max 258 lumen mode, but it just always works. The beam is good and a decent combination of throw and flood. I really want to get a TK09 as I hear the tint is better, higher output with a bigger hotspot, and it sounds like a cool mixture of true tactical light mixed with the mode function of the original LD20 (I lost mine a long time ago *sniff*). 400+ lumens seems like the perfect beam to me. I read the TK09 is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the TK11 which is crazy. They must have made the walls thinner, but I'm assuming it's still a very strong light. The tube of the TK11 is ridiculously thick.

And with going with the TK09 you get 18650 usage without having to go with an awkward 16650 cell or whatever smaller. I will say thought a single pair of cr123's (the ones that came with my yellow G2X pro) have been cranking for several weeks of mixed usage. I've been using the 320 mode for only short bursts a lot, but it's still putting out the max lumens. I even also left it on the 15 lumen mode over night and these cells still haven't dropped in voltage so it does have good run times. But you can run cr123's in the TK09 too so... I kind of want to go get a TK09 now lol. I wish they released it in a grey like the special TK22.

Last edited: