100,000 + cd with decent spill under $100

recDNA

Flashaholic
Ok, I could go a little over if necessary. I don't want a pinpoint nor a flood. Something in between with decent midrange spill. At one time 100,000 cd was HID or quarter sized beam at 100 yards with no spill. Now lots of lights offer spill and throw. Looking for a decent one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. No mods please including Maglite mods. Looking for a factory model, preferably just low, med, High but other modes tolerable as long as blinky modes hidden. Prefer at least the option of cr123 use. I don't like li ions in car during heat of summer nor cold of winter. Thanks for your suggestions.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Will have to look it up. To be honest I've never heard of it. Thanks

easilyled

Flashaholic
The Thrunite TN32 throws 191,000 cd. The beam is certainly that of a thrower but I believe it has some spill too.

The Thrunite TN35 throws 67,000 cd but in doing so has a massive spill and lights everything up in a broad field of view whilst throwing this distance. Its output is 2650 lumens!

I would imagine that one of these lights would fulfil your criteria well. From selfbuilt's reviews they are very high quality and a lot of bang for the buck although they're over $100.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Dereelight nm800 is aspheric. = pinpoint spot and 0 spill, I believe its probably something you were asking to avoid.

Yes, thanks. No interest in aspherics. Go with bigger head to get spill and lux. I think the tk75 might meet my specs but there must be others.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The Thrunite TN32 throws 191,000 cd. The beam is certainly that of a thrower but I believe it has some spill too.

The Thrunite TN35 throws 67,000 cd but in doing so has a massive spill and lights everything up in a broad field of view whilst throwing this distance. Its output is 2650 lumens!

I would imagine that one of these lights would fulfil your criteria well. From selfbuilt's reviews they are very high quality and a lot of bang for the buck although they're over $100.

No, I'd need both of them to fill my needs. I want spill and distance.

recDNA

Flashaholic
That's going to be a very tall order then.
The TN32 does have some spill and the TN35 throws pretty far considering how much spill it has.

I've copied the tk75 specs and beamshot shows good spill. Perhaps it is unique.
7epyte7a.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
imho the tk75 has got to be one of the best all round lights,good throw and flood,light for its size too.
As suggested the tn35 has good throw and flood but from 1 led the mtg2 so a more neutral tint.

Why would you not consider mods,the tk75vn(4400lm) and tn35vn (3500lm)would certainly fulfil your requirements,vinhs works is excellent along with customer service(no 6+week wait if any issue back to china! ) just some thing to bare in mind .The tk75vn KT version is pretty much everyone's fav vinh light,de-domed so around 300kcd as well as floody. Its not just current bumps,better heat sinking,beefed up carrier too so an all round better package. Only thoughts:tinfoil:

The tk61 does have some flood even though its a thrower,not too sure on the standard tk61 but the tk61vn is a beast.

I do think you will struggle within budget being honest.............unless get a bargain in the marketplace.

tk75vn in misty conditions and camera on auto so balances the light.............down :laughing: so a lot brighter in real life

tk61vn at around 1700lm,awesome throw,but usable flood too

close up pic of the tk61vn

Cant comment on the tn32 as dont own,but the tk75 and tn35 i am sure would satisfy your needs,just maybe not in the cost department.

If i had to pick out of the tk75 and tn35 the tk75 pips it for me........just.
Different UI, so control ring on the tn35,power and mode buttons on the tk75.

Its the budget that restricts and no mods,as i would say tk75vn KT would be the perfect light for you.:)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you can get TK75's for under $100, go get'm, nice lights.

:D

BTW - Do you MEAN "spill" or do you mean that you want the BEAM to have some width to it?

Spill is simply the UNFOCUSED light that misses the reflector and "spills" out in a small pool surrounding the flashlight.

The CORONA is the part that looks like a donut surrounding the hot spot on a white wall, but, which outdoors, is simply the fat part of the beam that lights up stuff between you and the distance where only the hot spot is still hitting.

Spill in of itself is not that useful....but the corona can be very useful as it fills in details on the way out to the hot spot's range.

Do you really mean corona?

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Obviously the mod is better but then no warranty at all. It also takes price even further away from $ goal. I never send to China. I send to dealer. My lights tend to break in the first few weeks or not at all

No tk75 knock offs?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Obviously the mod is better but then no warranty at all. It also takes price even further away from $ goal. I never send to China. I send to dealer. My lights tend to break in the first few weeks or not at all

No tk75 knock offs?

Sweet, if I drop the poorly made ones, they tend to break, no matter how long since purchased.

If yours don't break when dropped after a given time, you are very lucky.

On the plus side, the TK's are pretty tough, and, tend not to break when dropped within reason (The larger the light, the harder it hits when it lands, so, the harder it is to survive drops)

If considering a Vinh light, as he TOUGHENS the light by upgrading components, adding solder and stronger connections, thicker wires, etc....AND he fixes them w/o a question if there's a problem, I trust HIS "warranty" more than a factory one.

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you can get TK75's for under $100, go get'm, nice lights.

BTW - Do you MEAN "spill" or do you mean that you want the BEAM to have some width to it?

Spill is simply the UNFOCUSED light that misses the reflector and "spills" out in a small pool surrounding the flashlight.

The CORONA is the part that looks like a donut surrounding the hot spot on a white wall, but, which outdoors, is simply the fat part of the beam that lights up stuff between you and the distance where only the hot spot is still hitting.

Spill in of itself is not that useful....but the corona can be very useful as it fills in details on the way out to the hot spot's range.

Do you really mean corona?

I can't. Hoping for a cheaper alternatve

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I rarely drop a light. Vin light adds $.

He adds VALUE, but, if you are staying under $100, that light, stock or modified, is not an option.

Is it a strong corona and hot spot you're looking for? (Like a TK75?)

The older (Larger) TK70 MIGHT be around, and it has MORE throw than the TK75, and a very similar beam pattern...and is discounted as its a discontinued model.

Also - A used light would be a great option for you, as its also discounted.

ven

Flashaholic

No tk75 knock offs?

Vinh backs his work up better than fenix by a long way,you have an issue,he sorts it. I have 100% confidence in vinh,probably 50% dealing with Fenix tbh,less with other brands...........

Skyrays are cheap,trying to get a good one or genuine if there is one are good value for money.Around $40-$50 ish,more like a tm11,more biased towards flood over throw but still impressive between 1500-2000 guestimated lumens from the 3 leds in shallow reflectors.

There is the blackshadow terminator,sure there is a more updated recent version.........
Around the 3500lm mark,how accurate that is i dont know
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?353485-Blackshadow-Terminator-Review

Similar..........ish to a tm26 without oled .

Struggling a little after those lights......

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Getting a true 100k cd is the limiting factor at that price point.... if you want a floody beam to go that far.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Ok, I could go a little over if necessary. I don't want a pinpoint nor a flood. Something in between with decent midrange spill. At one time 100,000 cd was HID or quarter sized beam at 100 yards with no spill. Now lots of lights offer spill and throw. Looking for a decent one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. No mods please including Maglite mods. Looking for a factory model, preferably just low, med, High but other modes tolerable as long as blinky modes hidden. Prefer at least the option of cr123 use. I don't like li ions in car during heat of summer nor cold of winter. Thanks for your suggestions.

100Kcd is still a lot ... have you considered the Dereelight NightMaster NM800 ?

Dereelight nm800 is aspheric. = pinpoint spot and 0 spill, I believe its probably something you were asking to avoid.

Yes, thanks. No interest in aspherics. Go with bigger head to get spill and lux. I think the tk75 might meet my specs but there must be others.

I was thinking defocused aspheric, yes, sorry.

So ... you are wanting >100,000 cd (throw) ... and "decent spill" (flood) ... and < $100 ... and stock NOT modded ... NOT Li-Ion ... NOT HID ... NOT optic / aspheric (huge reflector only) ... ???

Perhaps not impossible, but I agree that may be a challenge :eek: