Cliplight work light

sjc

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the ten dollar "Larry lights" at an auto supply store, which are like penlights with a 60 lumen array of LED's on the side to use as a work light. Then I searched Amazon and found this "Cliplight." I don't own it and can't speak for it, but reviews are good. Uses 3 AAA batteries and provides 140 lumens and has a magnet on the side. Seems like it could be useful to clip to the pocket or collar of your T-shirt. Downside is that it does not seem to have a low or medium setting. Anyone have experience with it?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sell them as part of our range of Automotive lights and have one as a stock sample.They are much better than the previous version which were ok but the price on that link is way to much imo.

For $10 they are a very handy light,make sure you get the swivel magnet type.(the clip twists)

Illum

Flashaholic
I thought it was pretty good

Magnet was not strong enough for anything that has a textured surface. The LED chip appears to be a COB type, 15 emitters all in one row and covered over under one uniform layer of phosphor, so the output is more even than those that uses separate 5mm LEDs. The enclosure is pretty sturdy, but its not even splashproof. Clicky switch, on off only. No modes. The entire circuit is resistor driven. The LED is mounted on an aluminum plate, which does get HOT. correctly heatsinked its a very useful tent light.

I gutted mine and stuck the LED/reflector/window in a DIY enclosure.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was pretty good

Magnet was not strong enough for anything that has a textured surface. The LED chip appears to be a COB type, 15 emitters all in one row and covered over under one uniform layer of phosphor, so the output is more even than those that uses separate 5mm LEDs. The enclosure is pretty sturdy, but its not even splashproof. Clicky switch, on off only. No modes. The entire circuit is resistor driven. The LED is mounted on an aluminum plate, which does get HOT. correctly heatsinked its a very useful tent light.

I gutted mine and stuck the LED/reflector/window in a DIY enclosure.

There are many looking the same but build quality is different,many of the Chinese ones can be bought in 5000 and 10000 lots for little money,better Chinese ones can be bought in 1000 unit lots (talking wholesale buying)

sjc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. Seems like you could be creative with this light, like wear around the neck on a lanyard, hook it to a pants or shirt pocket, belt or even put it in your mouth (tasty) for a makeshift headlamp. Sounds like magnet could be improved - perhaps place a rare earth magnet on the existing magnet or even super glue it to the stick. Thanks for tip about Amazon's price being high. Will check some local auto supply stores.

Illum

Flashaholic
oh, thought to mention.... don't run it on li-ion. 3AAA (~4.5V peak) cannot be replaced with a single Li-ion (~4.2V peak). the light takes advantage of the voltage sag on the AAAs. Li-ion doesn't sag at all under these current conditions, and the LED goes :poof: rather quickly.

Kinda learned this the hard way, rebuilding this light into a 14500 driven one with a built in USB charger. Thank god I remembered to use a fuse, as these LEDs fail short. :(