Attention Walmart shoppers! New lights!

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
I was at Walmart yesterday and, of course, had to stop by the flashlight isle. I was surprised to see so many new ones there, and some were quite interesting! Bushnell had something called a "hat light" that uses 1AAA battery, has Cree, and puts out 65 lumens, for only $10.97: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-20035-Bushnell-65-Lumen-Multi-Color-Hat-Light/34349990

Even better is a headlamp made by Ozark Trail. It puts out 117 lumens, has 5 modes and is $14.97. Probably isn't Cree since it's not mentioned on the package: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-HL1O-Ozark-Trail-LED-Tactical-Headlamp-117-Lumens/35762491

There were others too, but I didn't have much time to look very closely. I think Bushnell had some 2AA lights that looked good initially, until I discovered that it's "multi-mode" operation included red and blue light. Others were like that too. I was also interested in the 2AA ROV Indestructible I've heard so much about, but they only had the C version and 3AAA, and also a 3AA version(!). I never heard of that one before. When I google it, I only find a 3AA headlamp. Maybe that's what I saw, but I thought for sure it was a regular flashlight.

So anyway, Walmart has some new stuff.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at a W-mart last week. I'm pretty sure they have some lights from Bushnell using xm-l2's actually. They had a light with a claimed 1000 lumens using 8 aa's. I honestly doubt they got it to 1000, but maybe for a tiny breif period if using completely fresh 1.5 volt alkalines. They had a 500 lumen version with 4 I think too. If it had a low mode of only several hundred lumens it might actually be a pretty decent light.

Of course what W-mart banks on is that most people don't know that for the 50-70 bucks or more they are charging there you can get a way better light online from the much higher end dedicated light companies. The newest LD41 is probably as bright as that "1000" lumen light at max output and after taxes in store probably costs the same.

I will say though. Just the fact that some high ouput xm-l2 options are in Walmart is impressive I'm surprised that emitter is even finding it's way into mid range to lower end stuff so fast. I guess I'd categorize the Bushnell lights there as mid range though. I just bought a 1aa xp-e2 light from there a few weeks ago that is actually pretty good and has a very nice pleasing beam of 130 lumens or so. I did a little review on it:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?383615-Bushnell-TRKR-T125L-1AA-light

The xp-e2 is an emitter I can get behind. I would love if Fenix made a new E40 using it. I don't know if they could get it to 300 lumens, but I'd buy it just for the better tint.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll admit - I have been pleasantly surprised by the things I see at Wally World these days with an XM-L at its heart.

Remember, for us it's a hobby, but for other people (okay, and some of us too) it's safety equipment responsible for keeping people from getting hurt. Here's hoping that the people who need light in a dangerous job shell out for something that will help them keep their fingers where they ought to be.

And, y'know, maybe make them look into "this Elektrolumens thing" or "that McLeash guy". ;-)

LEDrock

Enlightened
I will say though. Just the fact that some high ouput xm-l2 options are in Walmart is impressive I'm surprised that emitter is even finding it's way into mid range to lower end stuff so fast. I guess I'd categorize the Bushnell lights there as mid range though. I just bought a 1aa xp-e2 light from there a few weeks ago that is actually pretty good and has a very nice pleasing beam of 130 lumens or so. I did a little review on it:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?383615-Bushnell-TRKR-T125L-1AA-light

This one caught my eye while I was there, but was turned off by the red and blue modes. I was really hoping this light was finally going to be a pocketable light that had high, medium and low modes. If it would have been that, I would have bought it. I have no use for red, and even less for blue.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one caught my eye while I was there, but was turned off by the red and blue modes. I was really hoping this light was finally going to be a pocketable light that had high, medium and low modes. If it would have been that, I would have bought it. I have no use for red, and even less for blue.

Same thing with me, otherwise they look like nice lights. I would actually buy a few of the Bushnell's if they even had a few modes of just white light. Funny thing though, a few years back , Target had some nice lights (Inova's to name one) and Walmart had mostly junk. Now it seems just the opposite. I love the Ozark Trail and the larger Coleman lights at Walmart!

LEDrock

Enlightened
I love the Ozark Trail and the larger Coleman lights at Walmart!

That's another thing I don't understand--those large lights! What I'd love is if they'd take those XML emitters and put them into a standard-sized 2AA light, give it 3 light levels with no more than 25 lumens at the low end, and I'd be a happy camper! Those big lights are good only for the home or car. I feel that a light that can be carried in a pocket or belt is of far more utility.

LEDrock

Enlightened
They should also have the Mini Maglite Pro.

Oh no, not another version of the minimag! I gave up when I tried their first MinimagLED. Then was further disappointed when my 2 mini mag incans stopped working with their nite-ize upgrades. Then I replaced the switches on both of them twice, and they kept failing too! My favorite light of the past was the 2AA minimag, but now I carry a 1 watt ROV Sportsman Extreme. The minimags are in my giveaway stash for when some big disaster happens.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I snagged a Bushnell 65 lumen hat light. I wanted something like that for my ballcap that didn't require coin cells. I like the light coming out of it, but the buttons are horrible. They are very hard to push down far enough for it to click on. It will be a real pain to click on and off once it's on a hat. You really have to mash the rubber button down to get it to click.

LEDrock

Enlightened
I snagged a Bushnell 65 lumen hat light. I wanted something like that for my ballcap that didn't require coin cells. I like the light coming out of it, but the buttons are horrible. They are very hard to push down far enough for it to click on. It will be a real pain to click on and off once it's on a hat. You really have to mash the rubber button down to get it to click.

I kinda thought that might be the case with those buttons when I was looking at it. Otherwise, I thought it was one of the better deals. Doesn't sound like such a good deal anymore.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got out and used it on my ball cap to do some night time metal detecting. It is usable, I could work the buttons while on my hat. Not the easiest to press, but you can get by. It seemed to dim pretty fast on an alkaline AAA, so I threw an eneloop in there to use going forward.

Gin & Tonic

Newly Enlightened
My handy phone is only a prepaid flip-phone. No camera. Sorry! :eek:

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one still using a prepaid flip-phone.

Well, I got out and used it on my ball cap to do some night time metal detecting. It is usable, I could work the buttons while on my hat. Not the easiest to press, but you can get by. It seemed to dim pretty fast on an alkaline AAA, so I threw an eneloop in there to use going forward.

I really like the concept of a cap light because I always wear a ball cap but I dislike coin cells and have been looking for one that will take AAA's. If the buttons are hard to use it really will be a deal breaker for me though because I need something I can use while wearing gloves. I want something I can use at work first thing in the morning when the yard is dark and all the equipment needs to be started and warmed up.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was there last night lookin at the ligts and the coast 550 I looked at was close to the 1000 lumens it claims. I had my tk45 with me and the coast was brigter than the tk45 when shined on the ceiling

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
I was there last night lookin at the ligts and the coast 550 I looked at was close to the 1000 lumens it claims. I had my tk45 with me and the coast was brigter than the tk45 when shined on the ceiling

This is one I like too-the Coast 550. It has a forward clicky, is extremely bright, but also has a low setting of 53 lumens letting it run for something like over 100 hours. I just wish it didn't cost $60 and take 9AA batteries. D batteries would seem to make more sense.

Gin & Tonic

Newly Enlightened
D cells would be a deal breaker for me, I think I bought my last ones 10 years ago. Doubt I'll ever buy anymore.

scitzz

Newly Enlightened
I have a bushnell one that I use for my part time pizza delivery gig. Pretty handy, doesn't weigh much, is bright enough to walk in the dark with. The main reason I have it is to count money, or allow customers to see a credit card slip in low light situations. It does drain the battery quickly, but is, IMO, a quality light. Been using it for ~8-9 months I guess.

Latest posts