Is Nichia GS any better than a 5mm LED?

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
I took a look at the Fenix E01 to see why it's so popular. Apparently, it's the portability and runtime on a single AAA battery. I wondered why the battery would last so long, being a AAA. So I checked what kind of emitter it used, and it's a Nichia GS. I'm not familiar with that one, so I did a google image search of it, and was surprised to see that it looks just like the 5mm LEDs used in very cheap lights. Am I missing something here? Is the the GS any different in efficiency, if not in appearance to the cheapo 5mm?

As a side question, does anyone know of any other light that is basically like the Fenix E01, but uses a single AA instead of AAA?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The GS is a standard 5 mm LED but is one of the brightest (if not THE brightest, long time since I've checked the 5mm LED...). They have an ugly purple color but can reach at least 10 lumens, which is quite good for a 5mm LED.

For an AA, there is no new models AFAIK. You can always try to find an ARC AA or a CMG Infinity but they are rather old, the E01 or the other AAA offerings from Sunwayman or Nitecore are brighter... Don't know about the runtime though but it might be similar since they use more efficient drivers than these ''oldies'' AA's.

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
The GS is a standard 5 mm LED but is one of the brightest (if not THE brightest, long time since I've checked the 5mm LED...). They have an ugly purple color but can reach at least 10 lumens, which is quite good for a 5mm LED.

For an AA, there is no new models AFAIK. You can always try to find an ARC AA or a CMG Infinity but they are rather old, the E01 or the other AAA offerings from Sunwayman or Nitecore are brighter... Don't know about the runtime though but it might be similar since they use more efficient drivers than these ''oldies'' AA's.

Thanks! It would be nice if the E01 used something better than a 5mm. Then it would have potentially phenomenal performance! It could be brighter AND have even longer runtime that way.

It's a shame 1AA lights aren't more popular, or at least more widely made. I have been considering the Fenix E12 lately, mostly for it's stated runtime of 40 hours on low (although its packaging which I saw posted recently states a low level runtime of something like 23 hours, which isn't bad either for 1AA).

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that an AA version would be nice. The E01 however fits a market. It's an highly reliable lightning tool, not intended for brightness but for reliability, portability, affordability, ease of use and runtime. You can get more than 20 hours out of a single AAA, quite impressing. It has an ugly tint, bad beam, only one level but you can depend on this light. I, like many others here, own many expensive and bright lights but I always carry an E01 in my bag, just in case... Put a lithium AAA in it, store it in a pocket of your backpack and you'll never be left in darkness.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened to the 25+ lumen 5mm Nichias under development I read about a while back? Those would be great for a 1xAAA key light. Or a battery vamp setup.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
As a side question, does anyone know of any other light that is basically like the Fenix E01, but uses a single AA instead of AAA?

I have never used an E01, but I can vouch for L3 Illuminations L08. It puts out an impressive amount of light for a AAA battery. I have one with the Nichia 219 led and 4 levels. It's a great little light. I would like to try a L10 next. I got mine from sbflashlights.com.

fyrstormer

Banned
The Nichia GS *is* a 5mm LED. I prefer the Nichia DS, though; it's available in cool and warm tints, and the beam is much smoother. Slightly dimmer than the GS, but the other features make up for it.

Here's a comparison of the Nichia DS in cool and warm tints:

CIMG5284b.png

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the E01 was first released, the Nichia GS was the most efficient LED at it's ideal drive level. It seems Nichia's focus has shifted away from 5mm LED's, there is a Nichia HS, but I never really see it being talked about too much. I wonder if Arc and Fenix have any plans to use it. I for one hope so.

fyrstormer

Banned
Arc is dead on its feet. I wouldn't expect anything from them ever again. As for Fenix, I doubt the E01 is a big seller for them anymore, considering how much brighter the E05 is, and at a smaller size too.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc is dead on its feet. I wouldn't expect anything from them ever again. As for Fenix, I doubt the E01 is a big seller for them anymore, considering how much brighter the E05 is, and at a smaller size too.

I'd expect if Fenix were to do an E01 update, they'd do a body change and call it something new, like before the E01 was the E0. If I remember the specs right, a Nichia HS in an E01 would at least make it 20 lumens which would make the brightness difference much smaller, but the runtime on the HS light would be significantly better, much like the E01 vs the old E1.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
The E01 was pretty efficient back in the day but newer LEDs and circuits have eclipsed it. In real world testing most E01's only put out around 6 or 7 out-the-front lumens iirc. The Olight i3S will put out 20 or so lumens for 8 hours on a AAA which is a lot more light overall and it's not an angry blue/purple color either. More money yes, but a much more useful flashlight. I'd go as far as saying more reliable as well. The twist design on the E01 was flawed in that only a small portion of the head contacts touched the battery tube during activation which caused excessive wear. Both of mine became very unreliable after a while. As others have stated, 5mm LED progress has been pretty stagnant for the past 6 years or so. I'd be looking at a Cree-based light that suits your needs if I were you.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 was pretty efficient back in the day but newer LEDs and circuits have eclipsed it. In real world testing most E01's only put out around 6 or 7 out-the-front lumens iirc. The Olight i3S will put out 20 or so lumens for 8 hours on a AAA which is a lot more light overall and it's not an angry blue/purple color either. More money yes, but a much more useful flashlight. I'd go as far as saying more reliable as well. The twist design on the E01 was flawed in that only a small portion of the head contacts touched the battery tube during activation which caused excessive wear. Both of mine became very unreliable after a while. As others have stated, 5mm LED progress has been pretty stagnant for the past 6 years or so. I'd be looking at a Cree-based light that suits your needs if I were you.

They were tested by a CPF user to put out 7ish lumens when they were first released and were rated at 10 lumens at the emitter, but they are now 13 lumens ANSI, so it's quite likely they already are brighter, still using just tge GS. My E01 has been EDC'd almost every day I have had it and that's been since the colored versions were released, still as reliable since day 1. Wish I could say the same about my iTP EOS which died from 1 drop. Gotta love those potted electronics!

LEDrock

Enlightened
fyrstormer;4451421 As for Fenix said:
Nah! E05 costs twice as much, and has less than 3 hours of runtime versus 21 for the E01. Sure, it's brighter, but IMHO, there are better deals for that price.