Nitecore P16 window breaker

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Just noticed Nitecore advertises that the bezel on their P16 can be used as a window breaker. From pictures is certainly doesn't look like there is any type of carbide or harder point on the bezel... Can anyone confirm that there is something that works or doesn't?

For those unfamiliar with the issue, there are an inordinate number of products on the market today CLAIMING they can be used to break glass that just don't work/do what they say.* Very few products can break the front windshield of a car (especially if you were seat-belted in a car upside down rapidly filling with water) but many can be used to break the side window of a car. At the same time there are many interesting youtube videos testing claims of different emergency glass breakers and it would seem only about 50% work - and that in a nice, safe, controlled environment.

*My off topic rant that has nothing to do with Nitecore as I don't know if their product works or not! There's probably no better scam potential than selling an "emergency" product that will probably never be needed/used. If it IS needed and fails the owner possibly wont be around to go back to Wal Mart to get his $8.49 refund for the "seat belt cutter/windshield breaker multi tool" that didn't work, and if he is, he still probably wont go back to get his refund because possibly a. he feels stupid for only spending $8.49 on a "life saving" device without knowing if it works or b. the logical its $15 gas/$50 lost labor time to get his $8.49 refund.
My mom buys these kinds of products by the hundreds to give to all her family, friends and clients to have in the house/care "just in case!" :)

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fet8AeM.jpg

what do you expect it's a nitecore! for tactical and professional airsoft users, like the brochure says

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marketing fluff! Soon they'll invent bezels to flush toilets!

If you need a tool to break glass get a real glass breaker.

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
Not sure why a company would market any type of window-breaking tool for breaking windshields. If you're in an extreme situation in which time matters, the windshield is not the window to be breaking to escape. It may not necessarily be difficult to "break" a windshield, but it is extremely difficult to either get through (or completely kick out) one in order get get out of a vehicle.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Do the ads specify auto glass?

No - "Window breaker." Here's what I saw:

Overclocker I hadn't seen that pic but that is hilarious! I've bought 3 products from them I can remember and found the durability significantly lower than other large Chinese brands (that I wasn't too impressed with.)
But they hook me as they are one of the only brands I can walk into a store and buy so hanging on to a hope they are getting better!

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A center-punch works far better for breaking auto-glass than any flashlight.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overclocker I hadn't seen that pic but that is hilarious! I've bought 3 products from them I can remember and found the durability significantly lower than other large Chinese brands (that I wasn't too impressed with.)
But they hook me as they are one of the only brands I can walk into a store and buy so hanging on to a hope they are getting better!

xgV3rzm.jpg

my dead nitecores so far. by far the most unreliable among the major brands. my sample size is >1000 so i think i'm qualified to draw this conclusion ;)

what they have in common is COMPLEXITY (nitecores are always way too gimmicky). as complexity goes up, reliability goes down. that fancy blinking translucent side button can be another thing to leak, and that's exactly what happened to this EC25. the magnetic ring w/ a million detents was the downfall of this SRT3...

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I agree on with the "too gimmicky" part.
I got my 12 year old daughter an SRT 5 I think and she really likes it.
She wants to know why I don't and I told her it's a bit complicated to be used under duress... which of course raised the obvious question of what is duress.

Both my wide and she thought that was silly-of course they could turn it on at whatever mode they wanted when under duress.

Just for fun I created some "artificial duress" to test their claim.
That was a disaster - while yelling at them in the dark what mode to turn it on in and yelling at them to hurry they couldn't turn it on (my wife got it to come on in high AFTER she pointed the bezel at her face).
Flashing blue for high (AFTER 5 seconds), having the light on but thinking it's off because the ring is in standby mode, turning it off twisting the ring from one side to the other, thinking it's the flakey tail cap so playing with that.....
There are just way too many different ways to screw up!