Sunwayman V11R Reset Problem

vilerk

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, so I've had my SWM V11R for about 2 weeks now. It's been working stellar with Battery Station CR123s. The only mod I've done to it was to add some Superlube grease inside the control ring and add a shim to the ring to remove play and to not let grease leak out anymore. Anyways, a problem just cropped up today. This occurred with a 2.9V BS CR123 and a new BS CR123.

It seems that when the light is given a sharp jolt, like flicking the wrist with light in hand, the light turns off, then turns back on. Now what's interesting is, that when it is at max lumens, it works perfectly and never resets. However, as the control ring is adjusted lower, it becomes easier for the light to reset, meaning it takes less force to reset the light as the lumens decrease. When the light resets, it usually takes about 1-2 second for the light to reach its normal brightness.

The only time I dropped the light was today, about 1.5 feet onto hardwood flooring onto its side. Could this be the reason why this is happening? If so, that's disappointing about the light's quality.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks for your time.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...I just tried flicking my own V11R and there was no interruption in power. I would assume that the fall may have just had perfect placement and loosened something inside the head. I have dropped mine as well and considerably further than 1.5 feet to no worse result than scratches in the finish. Keep in mind that it has only one spring to maintain contact with the battery. Is it possible that you merely caused the battery to lose contact for a moment?

vilerk

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it's the battery that's losing contact because it never resets when it's on max.

I got the chance to switch parts with an M11R Sirius. With the Sirius head and control ring, and V11R switch/body, there are no issues. With the V11R head/control ring and M11R body, there are also no issues.

I'll try opening the light to see if anything's broken. This issue is leaving me pretty stumped.

EDIT: Turns out the coil on the control board snapped on of its solder joints. It was probably a cold solder joint that broke during the fall. I soldered it back together and now it works fine. Also, one of the magnets in the control ring had gotten loose, so for safe measure I reoriented both of them sideways and super-glued them in. Hopefully no more problems crop up.

Last edited: