Surefire P3X Mod

Skelt11

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I made a trade with a friend for a like new Surefire P3X Fury. Good news is the head comes off no problem so I can bore it. What I don't know is if it can run on three 18350s if I do get it bored. Any recommendations for batteries besides 18350s?

Redhat703

Enlightened
I'm not sure about three 18350s but I know it will work fine with two 18500s.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
After boring stock barrel, pair of 18500 will fit nicely but if you want to run with pair of IMR 18350, you will need readily available 2x18350 barrel in custom B/S/T of this forum.

Last edited:

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
I run two 17500s and it runs just as bright and quite a bit longer. I've read of a number of others doing the same. You also don't need to modify the light and I'm not sure why anyone would go through the trouble or expense.

Hey guys,

I made a trade with a friend for a like new Surefire P3X Fury. Good news is the head comes off no problem so I can bore it. What I don't know is if it can run on three 18350s if I do get it bored. Any recommendations for batteries besides 18350s?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run two 17500s and it runs just as bright and quite a bit longer. I've read of a number of others doing the same. You also don't need to modify the light and I'm not sure why anyone would go through the trouble or expense.

17500 cell has capacity of 1100 mAh and according to post #332 here current draw of P3X is way higher than allowable 2C
18500 has capacity of 1500 mAh and it's 2C (3 Amps) is closer to turbo mode of P3X also will run considerably longer.
Majority of people concern about their safety and go through trouble (if it is) and expense.
Using pair of newer protected 18650 will be absolutely safe and will run 3 times longer than 17500

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if you could run 3x18350, you wouldn't want to. The P3X is expecting 9v max, so 2x18500 would be a safer solution (to ensure you don't fry the LED), not to mention you'll get better runtime than with 3x18350.

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
I fully admit that my understanding of batteries is not optimal, but on a previous CPF post, there a photo of the P3X being gauged in the 6+ amp range. Assuming that is an accurate representation of its draw, why would two protected AW 17500 3.7 V batteries be unsafe? That would seem to satisfy the light's draw ceiling and also push the light adequately. If this wasn't the case, wouldn't the protection circuit kick in anyway? I'm asking because I run these 17500's regularly in this light and I don't want to compromise on safety. Please let me know where I'm misunderstanding this.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fully admit that my understanding of batteries is not optimal, but on a previous CPF post, there a photo of the P3X being gauged in the 6+ amp range. Assuming that is an accurate representation of its draw, why would two protected AW 17500 3.7 V batteries be unsafe? That would seem to satisfy the light's draw ceiling and also push the light adequately. If this wasn't the case, wouldn't the protection circuit kick in anyway? I'm asking because I run these 17500's regularly in this light and I don't want to compromise on safety. Please let me know where I'm misunderstanding this.

17500s have capacity of approx 1100mah. 2C is twice the capacity, but viewed as a rate of discharge. So, safe discharge rate of 2C is 2 x 1100 which equals 2.2amps. Anything over that is unsafe since it exceeds the battery's capabilities.

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
17500s have capacity of approx 1100mah. 2C is twice the capacity, but viewed as a rate of discharge. So, safe discharge rate of 2C is 2 x 1100 which equals 2.2amps. Anything over that is unsafe since it exceeds the battery's capabilities.

I appreciate your explanation. What could happen (worst case) with protected batteries that exceed this threshold?

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
Also, I forgot to ask: Assuming current rating for 123 batteries are around 1500 mah, and there are 3 cells with an aggregate of 4.5 mah, wouldn't the 6 amp draw of the P3X still be a problem based on this equation?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I appreciate your explanation. What could happen (worst case) with protected batteries that exceed this threshold?

The protection circuit trips and the light shuts off. Or, more likely, the batteries are going to have their life span significantly decreased. I suppose absolute worst case is they violently vent (explode) in the light.

Also, I forgot to ask: Assuming current rating for 123 batteries are around 1500 mah, and there are 3 cells with an aggregate of 4.5 mah, wouldn't the 6 amp draw of the P3X still be a problem based on this equation?

Yes, still a problem, but apparently an acceptable risk according to Surefire's assessment.

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the information, so where can i get my P3X bored at a reasonable price?