Older Mini-Maglite Disassembly

billn

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,

I'm trying to take apart an older type AA Maglite and I can't seem to remove the focusing assembly. I see that there's a lock spring in there that keeps the focuser on and the bulb assembly in place. Problem is I can't seem to get it out. Here's a shot of the stripped down flashlight head on.

5wgK3Ry.jpg

The spring doesn't seem to have enough room to allow me to get it out. I'm sure there's a trick or tool they used to get it in there. Or the ring above it is LockTite'ed in there.

Thanks for any help!
-Bill

Last edited:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure it is real Mag?
My 25yrs old minimag did not look like that.
More pictures please. :)

Try this one.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had many mini maglites apart and not one looked like that.

do what download suggests, then lift that side of the clip.next, slide the whole clip to the other side, releasing the second part. Now lift it out.

i'd like to see the head assembly.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen something like this too...:thinking: and I can assure you I've seen a lot of them. :D

billn

Newly Enlightened
Well folks...

First, download, that was awesome of you to go and edit my pic with instructions! Way kewl.

So, I did get it apart and here it is:
eBW1Geh.jpg

The general thought from your kind responses is that this is probably a knock-off. I'd have to agree. This has been in my collection for at least 20 years and I have no idea where I got it. But there are NO identifying marks anywhere on any of the components. So this is now a "project" piece. :) I'll root around and pull an led from something and give this new life.

Thanks for your responses and a great intro to CPF!
-Bill

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
Think I have one of those. The very light knurling on the tube looks familiar. Brynite(?). Focuses much like the larger Maglites.