Fenix TK22 is upgraded,max 920 lumens.

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK22 2014 edition is released,
uses Cree XM-L2 (U2) LED,
the max output is 920 lumens ,while the elder version is 680 lumens.

2014_zpsce93ef29.jpg

TK22-3_zps9c65643d.jpg

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I wonder what's the idea with this upgrade. Even the 680lm version is bad regulated and imagine then 920lm. It will be something like 920lm for 5 minutes and the it drops down to 680 or lower. We know that a single 18650 can't handle such a high outputs more than very short time. Sounds to me like another lumen-race misleading advert.

kj2

Flashaholic
But I wonder what's the idea with this upgrade. Even the 680lm version is bad regulated and imagine then 920lm. It will be something like 920lm for 5 minutes and the it drops down to 680 or lower. We know that a single 18650 can't handle such a high outputs more than very short time. Sounds to me like another lumen-race misleading advert.
Well, as long they mention on the box or in the manual there is a time-limit for the Turbo-mode, it isn't misleading IMO.
And people who are buying their first 'high-power' flashlight should ask about the runtime. Sure it isn't something that's pops to your mind the first time, but doing research is something
you have to do these days. And the flashlight-store can play a key-part in this role, when people are buying their first.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
Nice run times

10 - 150 h
120 - 15:45 h <<<<<<<<
400 - 3:45 h
920 - 1:30 h

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the fact that they raised two medium modes. I prefer 85 and 265 lm instead of 120 and 400 lm.

Throw is almost the same. That's probably because of the fact that "regular" 680lm version with XM-L2 never got close to rated numbers. A couple of independent reviewers got around 13klux/1m, much lower than advertised 18 225lux/1m.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 680 lumen version never sold well so they must pulled out the big lumen figures, probably increased the stepdown or made the max output last only a few minutes, increased medium modes (was it really needed?), screwed runtimes... what an upgrade!

GoVegan

Enlightened
I think I'll pass, as it can't tail stand and it doesn't have a moonlight mode. ;)
Well those are the two complaints about Fenix lights I always hear from some on this forum.

No, joking aside, not sure why but I've never been too interested in 18650 Li-ion/2 CR123A lights, maybe too large for me (despite me owning a TK41).

But I have to say, I disagree with side mode buttons especially on tactical lights, control should be from rear tailcap with High/Low like Surefire, to guarantee that the light will always come on in high mode first.

kj2

Flashaholic
If you use two CR123A batteries ,it will be 1000 lumens.
yeah, but it's kinda weird that Fenix advertises with max 920 lumens. The light can reach a thousand only on different batteries.
Normally a manufacturer shows the highest brightness as max.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as long they mention on the box or in the manual there is a time-limit for the Turbo-mode, it isn't misleading IMO.
And people who are buying their first 'high-power' flashlight should ask about the runtime. Sure it isn't something that's pops to your mind the first time, but doing research is something
you have to do these days. And the flashlight-store can play a key-part in this role, when people are buying their first.

it's not just a timer stepdown issue. nearly all of these single-cell 900+ lumen flashlights are very poorly regulated. once the cell voltage goes below a certain point the flashlight is simply unable to attain the advertised lumens and it all goes downhill from there

and this point comes sooner than most people think. just run the light for about 5 minutes or so and it would be unable to hit the max lumens, even if you restart the light

just look at selfbuilt's runtime graphs. mostly downward slopes w/ few exceptions, the buck/boost lights

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK22 2014 edition is released,
uses Cree XM-L2 (U2) LED,
the max output is 920 lumens ,while the elder version is 680 lumens.

2014_zpsce93ef29.jpg

TK22-3_zps9c65643d.jpg

"lossless" marketing garbage

side button. can't preselect output before turn-on. a no no on a supposedly "tactical" light

still no moonlight

totally mediocre. pass

kj2

Flashaholic
it's not just a timer stepdown issue. nearly all of these single-cell 900+ lumen flashlights are very poorly regulated. once the cell voltage goes below a certain point the flashlight is simply unable to attain the advertised lumens and it all goes downhill from there

and this point comes sooner than most people think. just run the light for about 5 minutes or so and it would be unable to hit the max lumens, even if you restart the light

just look at selfbuilt's runtime graphs. mostly downward slopes w/ few exceptions, the buck/boost lights

In that case I suggest you stick with ArmyTek Pro lights :)

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use two CR123A batteries ,it will be 1000 lumens.
It means one thing - absolutely no regulation on 18650 cell. It can't even reach full brightness with single Li-Ion. 680lm version was semi regulated, this one is much worse.

wjv

Enlightened
They need a NW, Special Edition version of this light. . . . And maybe a NW UE version. . . . That way they can have 5 versions of the same light. . . .

Taz80

Enlightened
They need a NW, Special Edition version of this light. . . . And maybe a NW UE version. . . . That way they can have 5 versions of the same light. . . .

And a battery extension tube, so you can get the full output with decent runtime and regulation. Like the E50. Of course not everybody likes a long light, Although there seems to be plenty of Malkoff MD4 users here.