Sunwayman V25C vs. V20C

harro

Enlightened
Hi,
Does anyone here own both the aforementioned lights ? I have a V20C and use it just about every other day, for varied tasks. The only thing it lacks ( for me anyway ) is maximum output. Is the extra couple of hundred lumens noticeable in real world use ? Is the magnetic ring adjustment still stepless ah-la V20C ? Does it still have the treacle smooth beam of its older sibling ?
Many thanks for your thoughts,
Mike.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modder Vinh can mod the V25C to increase output to 1500 LED lumens at 4.5 A. And the ones with the dome off the LED actually throws quite well as you can see from the beamshots.

link to modified V25C sales thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?378711-WTS-V25Cvn-1500L-Infinitely-Variable
link to ask to mod your own light: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Need-Modded-Work-2013-)-(Taking-Orders-Again)

One complaint about the Sunwayman V25C in general is that there is no step anywhere - when coming up to max, it just immediately drops to low again as you turn the ring a smidgen past max - and the ring keeps going around and around without any stops. Not good. If I were you, I would keep the V20C and have it modified if you want more lumens. Also, the V25C doesn't have a grip ring - and therefore, no threads for a grip ring either. And with such a smooth body, a grip ring is almost mandatory. If I recall, on Vinh's mod, he even went the extra mile and removed and lubed the clicky switch - a nice touch since he noticed that most clicky switches factory-direct were rather dry. My stock V20C switch feels dry also.

Last edited:

Valmet62

Newly Enlightened
I that's what I did. Just got my V20C back from Vihn. He did a LED swap , upgraded the wires and increased the overall output. I still have the low lumens for in the house, but it is blinding on max !!! ( Even with a 2900K LED which tends to have less output compared to cool white)

Valmet62

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a few questions:

1) Is the low as low as before?

2) Don't mean to insult vn's work in any way - he has a great reputation - but does the light look as though it were disassembled? Its just that the Sunwayman HA finish is just soooo nice!

3) On my unmodded light I notice that the ramping up of the light intensity is not smooth - it actually goes dimmer for a bit before going brighter. Does yours still do that after the mod?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Valmet62

Newly Enlightened
Just a few questions:

1) Is the low as low as before? Yes, low is exactly the same

2) Don't mean to insult vn's work in any way - he has a great reputation - but does the light look as though it were disassembled? Its just that the Sunwayman HA finish is just soooo nice! The light looks perfect, I bought it new for the mod work, not a scratch on it, can't tell it's been modded ( until you turn it on and rotate to higher levels ) :)

3) On my unmodded light I notice that the ramping up of the light intensity is not smooth - it actually goes dimmer for a bit before going brighter. Does yours still do that after the mod? I haven't noticed that, but when ramping mine down, right before the light goes off to the stand-by detent, there is a minor spike, so that tells me I am at the minimal brightness level.

I took the light out last night for a hike and I was very
impressed. I rarely needed that much output, but it is nice to know I have it if I need it. I purchased a solarforce clip for the light and it fits nicely on top of the cigar ring. I have also ordered a clip from LumaPower, I understand they will fit too.

Vamet62

Thanks for your input.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light looks exactly like stock except the led is dedomed if you choose that option.

My ramping also has a slight spike at about 25%. At that spot it goes a bit dimmer, then after I pass it, it's back to smooth increase in power. Doesn't happen from high to low, only on the ramp up.

The low is definitely as low as stock. There's no way it could get lower. I can make the emitter barely glow at all. Just like if the led was hooked to a variable power supply.
It's by far my lowest low of any light even after the mod.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks to valmet and tmack for your input. glad to hear its a mod job done well. i may consider dedome for more throw if the tint is not too warm - i heard a dedome job makes the tint warmer. maybe if i ask to dedome a cool tint emitter, i will get a neutral tint in the end.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Obviously the stock V25 is much stronger than the V20 - After Vinh mod's them are they both in the same power range?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a couple of issues that I did not like about the V25.
Post #9 I talk about some issues.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?380359-Sunwayman-V25C-Variable-Ring-(XM-L2-1x18650-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAM&p=4377220&highlight=#post4377220

1) Very low or moon light mode is hard to adjust. It goes from off to about 12 lumens in a very short span of distance of the dial (hard to adjust in this area as there is no resolution). It's not anywhere like the V11R that is gradual. I don't have a V20 so can't compare.

2) It has a 360 degree ring which is horrible as you can't tell where you are at when the light is off.

3) The other problem with the 360 degree ring is that its not very linear and for about 300 degrees on to 360 it was already at its maximum output. So why have a 360 degree ring I thought?

But for the pros of this light, the tint for cool white was good. The beam pattern good. And the output is high like they say it is. But those positives couldn't out weigh the negatives and I sold it.

harro

Enlightened
Thanks all for your thoughts. With what most of you are saying, modding sounds like a good option. I don't know if he will service Australia, but a message will answer that one.
The 360 degrees high then back to minimum could be a bit of a worry.
Actually looking on his thread, I don't think I saw a complaint !! That just about says it all.
Thanks again everyone.

:twothumbs