Opinions on Peak's Professional Series Adjustable Models?

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
After perusing some of Peak's offerings again, I noticed that they offer some larger lights in their professional series (Night Patrol and First Responder). Interestingly, some of these larger lights have variable output - something I really love (and a pretty rare feature for a larger light). It appears that the lights are also electrically quite versatile - I think they run from 3 to 14V, with regulation from 5 to 14V.

Does anyone have an opinion to share about these lights? How smooth is the ramping? Do they have the typical Peak indestructible feel? Any comments on beam quality, tint, or shape, or general usability?

Also, any opinions on the Judco switch that comes with them? Never used one before - can it be lego'd out for something else?

I'm hoping to spark some discussion about these lights, as I really haven't heard much about them (and information is pretty scarce when searching - there doesn't seem to be anything from the past couple years).

For more info about the lights, check the em-mgt website.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting timing. I have been wondering about those lights as well and have been trying to learn more about them. We hear a lot (or at least more) about the smaller keychain sized lights but nothing about the full size versions.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have a very old Peak Night Patrol (the aluminum NP400S model, I believe) with an extended battery tube, although I rarely use it. It is a spare vehicle light, as backup to the backup ... :)

Although the emitter is outdated now, it still seems like a pretty tough light. This one is the single-level version only.

Mine is similar to the one reviewed here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?235063-Night-Patrol-350S-small-review

I had considered getting a stainless steel NP600A (adjustable-type), when I saw one of these pop up on CPFMP maybe a couple years ago....

Last edited:

Phry

Banned
I have a Peak NP600A in stainless steel and it is pretty darn good. Solid, reliable and very well machined.

In terms of the ramping of the light, it is the best I have ever used without doubt. Smooth and even ramp, it goes very low, probably too low, and there is no flickering or jumping or any odd behavior that I have seen on magnetic ring lights, and especially in QTC lights. Can be used really easily with one hand. The switch is plastic and can be removed or slid up and down to allow for tail standing or easier use.

Peak customer service? That's another story. Little or no replies, poor website, unreliable. Bob at RMSK? A bit better if you are in the USA, international buyers he doesn't care about.

4Peaks_zps0c86c0a4.jpg

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
After perusing some of Peak's offerings again, I noticed that they offer some larger lights in their professional series (Night Patrol and First Responder). Interestingly, some of these larger lights have variable output - something I really love (and a pretty rare feature for a larger light). It appears that the lights are also electrically quite versatile - I think they run from 3 to 14V, with regulation from 5 to 14V.

I have an original First Responder w/3xSSC P4 emitters, and I believe the only real difference to the current models are the emitters used. I believe the current models use XP-Gs. The versatility is pretty amazing. I have the "tactical" body with the Judco switch and the shorter 18650 body with the typical Peak SS momentary switch. With those bodies, I can run the following cell combinations:

2xAA
2x14500
2xCR123
2x16340
2x18340
1x18650

There are other bodies available, and cell extenders available also.

Does anyone have an opinion to share about these lights? How smooth is the ramping? Do they have the typical Peak indestructible feel? Any comments on beam quality, tint, or shape, or general usability?

The ramping is extremely smooth and infinitely variable. The variability is better with higher voltage sources, as the circuit allows for lower lumen settings. A least with my older model, lower voltage sources such as 2xAA will jump from 0 lumens straight to about 30 lumens as you turn the dial, then smooth to max. With 6 volts or more, low low lumen settings are available. However, this may have been improved with newer versions of the light. The dial to change the output is perfectly accessible to your thumb when using an underhand grip.

The quality and feel of the light is typical Peak. The beam on mine is very floody with wide spill and moderate central punch, nicely blended, similar to a Malkoff M61. I would expect the newer, smaller-die emitters would have more punch/throw.

Also, any opinions on the Judco switch that comes with them? Never used one before - can it be lego'd out for something else?

I personally love the Judco. It is a firm, "tactile", feeling switch but is much more audible than, say, a McClicky. I use the smaller body with the momentary switch most of the time.

Last edited:

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
There's some really useful information coming in - great replies! :thumbsup:

I'm also exchanging some PMs with another CPFer about these lights; I'll see if he doesn't mind if I post here what he shared.

Phry

Banned
Here is a size comparison with the popular Zebralight SC600 II for ya...

8a30d367-96a3-4236-bd3b-37f4bd05d5ab_zps681a52cf.jpg

BriteLite2

Enlightened
Actually yuou should get very quick response from Peak these days.

You need to go to the lady who gets things done at Peak. Robyn. She is the nicest person you will ever have the pleasure of dealing with. Peaks CS has improved dramatically!! She really cares about the customer and bends over backwards to accomdate you . To me dealing direct with Peak beats RMSK anyday.

Phry

Banned
Actually yuou should get very quick response from Peak these days.

You need to go to the lady who gets things done at Peak. Robyn. She is the nicest person you will ever have the pleasure of dealing with. Peaks CS has improved dramatically!! She really cares about the customer and bends over backwards to accomdate you . To me dealing direct with Peak beats RMSK anyday.
Yeah I have had about 4 very friendly emails with Robyn who had repeatedly assured me they would send two switches.

The last email was 6 months ago, the first well over a year and still I have had nothing.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is really odd, based on my experience. Robyn always replies to my emails immediately (same day, anyway), and has always taken care of my flashlight and parts needs in a timely fashion.