Can I still recover my light?

dschia

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody. I bought a Spark SD6-500CW few years back and used for about a year. Then I realised I prefer a little more throw so I bought a Spark ST6-500CW, then kept my SD6 aside and only took it out today which is about a year plus later. The battery was not remove during the long period of storage (my bad:hairpull:). So today when i try to light it up, it doesn't work anymore. I tried a few fully charged battery but still nothing... Is there sometimes I can try to do to save it or is it RIP?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
What battery(s) were in it? Any leaks, or was it just parasitic drain from an electronic clicky? Any voltage left in the cell(s)?

Perhaps just try and clean all the contact points with Deoxit?.... otherwise, I'm not sure you have many options with electronic clickies... including warranty :(

dschia

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. It uses 18650 which is fully drained. I try to do some cleaning and see how it goes. I still has the user manual that states not to leave battery inside when not using for extended period :banghead:

What battery(s) were in it? Any leaks, or was it just parasitic drain from an electronic clicky? Any voltage left in the cell(s)?

Perhaps just try and clean all the contact points with Deoxit?.... otherwise, I'm not sure you have many options with electronic clickies... including warranty :(

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK... careful with that 18650. There's a good chance the protection circuit kicked in so that you can reset it (via charger or parallel jump) and at least keep the cell. But if the voltage had dropped below ~2.5v, it should be discarded too.

LGT

Enlightened
dschia4453352 said:
Hello everybody. I bought a Spark SD6-500CW few years backand used for about a year. Then I realised I prefer a little more throw so I bought a Spark ST6-500CW, then kept my SD6 aside and only took it out today which is about a year plus later. The battery was not remove during the long period of storage (my bad:hairpull:). So today when i try to light it up, it doesn't work anymore. I tried a few fully charged battery but still nothing... Is there sometimes I can try to do to save it or is it RIP?
Hope you get It working again, and do you loosen the end cap to the point that It won't turn on while not in use? I say this because I have an ST6-460NW that is not used frequently, but I leave the battery in and loosen the end cap, and have never had the battery drain. Anyways I would suggest you do this with your ST6-500CW.

dschia

Newly Enlightened
OK... careful with that 18650. There's a good chance the protection circuit kicked in so that you can reset it (via charger or parallel jump) and at least keep the cell. But if the voltage had dropped below ~2.5v, it should be discarded too.

Noted, I will test the voltage. Thanks for the advice.

Hope you get It working again, and do you loosen the end cap to the point that It won't turn on while not in use? I say this because I have an ST6-460NW that is not used frequently, but I leave the battery in and loosen the end cap, and have never had the battery drain. Anyways I would suggest you do this with your ST6-500CW.

Thanks for the advice. I did loosen the end cap as I had that habit all the while. Perhaps leaving a cell in the torch for a year plus to 2 years without use is just way too long a period. :ohgeez: