MN20 in the M3T?

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Is it O.K. to swap out the turbo head off of my M6 and put it on my M3 along with the 250 LOLA from the M6? I tried it out along with some fresh batteries and it is extremely bright and nicely focused. I just didn't know if I was under driving the Lamp, even though it doesn't look like it. The only reason I didn't keep the M3 lamps in it is because they don't have a long enough "shaft" from the spring to the bulb to properly focus the light. Thanks for any input in advance.

[Moderator Edit: Size15s edited the thread title to better identify the thread topic]

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF woodsman

In order to maximise the life and reliability of your SureFire I advise that you only use the Lamp Assemblies designed for the M6 in the M6 and not in the M3T.

The correct Lamp Assemblies for the M3T are the MN15 and MN16. The N2 can also be used for general use (however the spring contacts are different)

I have no experience of running the MN20 in the M3T - I guess that with fresh SF123As it would work however within a few minutes the output would have dropped. Under-powering bulbs can shorten the effective useful life in my experience.

Al

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
I also switched out the M3 head and put it on the M6 body. Along with the M3's MN11 lamp. I just took them out for a walk and they were both pretty nice. The 225 lumen mn11 lamp was WAY over driven I think. It put out what looked like more light than the tightly focused M3T with the 250 lumen M6 lamp. Since it is not good for the bulbs I will switch them back now. Thanks for the reply.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's not the bulbs I'm that concerned with really since these can be replaced. It's that there is a chance that bulbs could explode if powered by combinations they aren't designed for (such as the MN11 on the M6) and ruin the reflector which means the whole bezel/TurboHead is ruin. This is a far more expensive part to replace.

Al

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I know how that is. I had a M6 bulb explode after using it only a very short time. I had to send it in and they fixed it but the reflector is smoother now. I guess they buffed it somehow. Thanks for the heads up.