Ultimate EDC? Customized Olight S10; "Oh lite!"

saypat

Enlightened
​​What does one get when they combine a nice host like the Olight S10, with some additional parts, like R,G,B, and UV LEDs, and a custom driver with a very unique user interface? For me, it was a dream light. Amazing how all that can fit in a tiny little host only 2.7" long. This is the 2nd light I have acquired from Everett. I want to add that Everett's genius for electronics is really exceeded by his character, humility, and patience. Here is a link to Everett's blog and other projects for those interested (highly technical): http://tterev3.blogspot.com/

This light runs off of one CR123 or RCR123 cell. Here are a few pictures of the light:

file.html
[/URL] [/IMG]
file.html
[/URL][/IMG]
file.html
[/URL][/IMG]
file.html
[/URL][/IMG]
file.html
[/URL][/IMG]
(showing the LEDs: RGB are XQ-E; W is XB-H; UV is Luxeon )

the light comes with a fairly strong magnetic tailcap and a nice clip. All that fluffy stuff aside, the heart of this unique light, and the fun, is the custom driver and firmware! It is programmable, 12 different modes one can program through the side switch. Besides these extra 12 programmable features, this light has all the modes one would ever need. Press the switch and the light comes on. Hold down the switch and the brightness ramps, pausing at HIGH and LOW before reversing. Double click from off gets you to MAX HIGH. All modes have momentary! From on, a triple click will get you to the strobes, where the strobe speed can be ramped from 0.25-60Hz, take your pick, incredible! Another sequence of clicks gets you to the UV mode, yes UV! If you figure out what you can do with UV, please let ME know. All I know is that it is like a blacklight and makes things glow (fluoresce). A click click press of the switch gets you to those color LEDs and their modes, these can be fun, and practical. One feature I like is click click click press gets you into the battery check mode, which measures the voltage and reports it in blinks back to you. One of the programmable modes I like is the 'red beacon'. When finished programming this, when the light is in the off position it will blink red every 4 seconds so you can locate it. And I like that you can program a lock-out mode so that next time the light is shut off it will be locked out, only to be turned back on by a triple click of the switch. I cannot go into every feature of this incredible light. It took me a couple of days to get familiar with the user interface. Here is a video of Everett demonstrating the UI. While there is an Olight S10 on the table, he is using a Novatac host for the demonstration.

Of course this light is not for everybody. Some like simple. Some like bright. Some dislike strobes. I happen to like a lot of modes, programs, gimmicks, etc. On this light, it's all there if you need it. Or if you just simply want high, med, and low, you can certainly use this light like that. Very adaptable. But when you bring out the colored beacons, or the UV, be prepared for someone to exclaim HUH???

I usually buy a light and get tired of it right away, setting it aside. That has not happened with this one. This is a keeper for me! It's fun and it's functional! If I can answer any questions you might have, please ask , or PM Everett or myself. Hope you enjoyed the OH LITE!

contact info here at CPF: everett

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Let me be the first to say here... DAMN does that look cool. :) Blog progress is amazingly technical, but I tried to follow along.

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Wow, wow, wow!! This has to be the most complicated UI I have ever seen but the most amazing and fun to learn, incredible! To have all this in an S10 host is simply awesome... Where do I get one, how much??! :goodjob:

saypat

Enlightened
Yessir, mighty cool indeed! I love it! Haven't tired of it at all. Isn't that blog crazy, I don't understand anything there. Everett is on another plane, seriously. Stay tuned, he'll have an updated video of the UI soon, always adding to it, trying to come up with the perfect user interface. I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

patrick

saypat

Enlightened
Howdy. The UI takes a while to figure out, and memorize. But then there are 12 additional programmable modes also! Carry a cribsheet :twothumbs And all programming done through (1) sideswitch! The S10 is a perfect size in my opinion.

You'll have to get in touch with Everett for pricing and availability. He goes by EVERETT here at CPF. PM me if u can't get in touch with him, not sure how often he comes here.

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
Astounding. That takes some skills AND a wee bit of imagination.

I cannot imagine it being in my shallow end of the pool price wise.

Thanks for such an interesting thread.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
​​
If you figure out what you can do with UV, please let ME know. All I know is that it is like a blacklight and makes things glow (fluoresce).

Pretty much why I have UV lights. That and looking for pee stains ... other uses could be for curing and charging up GITD things or even checking money. Well, depending on the UV wavelength that is. 365nm is the best if you can get it.

This MELD board is amazing, the guys is a gun! Kind of think that this is what the F40A falcon should be. If he can squeeze in an IR LED, he would be a genius. (not to say that he isn't already)

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
UV is great for looking for scorpions at night, for some reason they flouresce under UV light. I always take my Solarforce P60 with UV drop-in when traveling to countries with them but this would solve the extra carry!