Minimag drop in recommendations for 2014?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion on these is it is not worth trying to make them chase the modern level of performance, so I make them into something unique. I put in a direct drive MJLED, which does require drilling the reflector hole up a bit, but other than that, just cut the legs to 10 mm. Bend them in a bit and find the polarity by trial and error, plugs in place of the original bulb. Focuses good, very useful brightness on two alkalines, and runs for, well, darn near ever. They were a popular upgrade with Energizer lithiums, but the recommendation was to take the edge off the voltage of the cells by running them for 5-10 minutes in another device when new, or they were a bit hard on the LED.

This mod works by virtue of an unusually low forward voltage for a 5 mm LED. It won't be as impressive with most other 5 mm LED's. Still, it is no barn burner, it's a long running utility light, and a good one.

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=568

Wayne's shipping is VERY reasonable.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Hondo,

I did just that. I enlarged the hole on the reflector to fit an 5mm LED. I replaced the spare bulb with a 5mm LED. But I also purchased the drop-in I mentioned above to use as general light. If it ever dies on me, I can just use the 5mm LED i stored in the tailcap for emergency. Can't find another light that can give me this option.