ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OLIGHT SR52 Intimidator (3x18650,XM-L2,1200Lm,Built In Charger) REVIEW

Default Re: OLIGHT SR52 Intimidator (3x18650,XM-L2,1200Lm,Built In Charger) REVIEW

Thanks for the info
    do you like your sr50 or sr51 better
    i have 2 sr51's and love them but want a sr50 too
    Quote Originally Posted by Oztorchfreak View Post
    I still have my Olight SR50 and SR51 and now I have the SR52.

The throw is much better and brighter than the older ones.

I love everything about this light.

There is nothing to really criticize about this light so far.

USB charging is a great plus in my book.

I am not stuck with proprietary batteries so I can have a fresh set of 3 x 18650 batteries in my pocket if needed as well as being able to use 6 x CR123 batteries as well.

This light can run on one 18650 if need be although the runtime is obviously going to be short.

It is a bit heavier than the SR50 and SR51.

The beam is a nice clean white being a Cool White LED and the beam has no obvious artifacts in it.

I can't see any green or blue in the beam.

The beam is mainly aimed at throwing but the spill is very useful.

The light is a bit shorter than the other older lights by about an inch or more.

I will do some beamshots ASAP.

CHEERS

Default Re: OLIGHT SR52 Intimidator (3x18650,XM-L2,1200Lm,Built In Charger) REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by ncvarmint View Post
    Thanks for the info
    do you like your sr50 or sr51 better
    i have 2 sr51's and love them but want a sr50 too

I prefer the SR50 rather than the SR51 as it has a cooler nicer white for my use and has a narrower beam.

I like the SR52 a lot now and the other older ones will be gathering dust just as they have for the last year as I have quite a few Thrunite TN30 and TN31 lights both stock and modded.

I have many other lights that perform far better than the SR50 and SR51.

I think the SR52 is going to be a big seller IMHO.

For someone that wants a light that looks and handles like the older generation lights with a single button at the front it is a really good starting point.

It suits beginners that want a better performing light than the ones for sale at Walmart, Bunnings and other hardware stores.

It also pleases us flashaholics as well as we can see value and performance when it comes along and this is a winner in my book.

The only thing extra that I would like in the UI is a battery level indicator button sequence showing 1 to 4 quick flashes as used in the Zebralight SC600 XM-L2 and SC52 XM-L2 to show the battery level in quarters of the full stored power available.

Some battery indicators flash the actual battery voltage which means very little to those wanting an easy to use light and know nothing about the Li-ion cells inside.

At the moment the indicator LED on the light goes red when the batteries are getting very low.

CHEERS
    Last edited by Oztorchfreak; 06-26-2014 at 07:43 AM.
    ONCE YOU START COLLECTING LIGHTS THERE IS NO END IN SIGHT.

Thanks for the info Oztorchfreak !

So far I have found one issue that is important to point out.

I am having trouble finding the on/off button in the dark.

Sometimes it is very frustrating and takes quite a few seconds to locate when first picked up in the dark.

I am thinking it needs to have some glow in the dark feature or a locator LED under the button.

Sure enough this button would be hard to be accidentally pressed as it is hard enough to find in the dark with it's low profile.

Maybe I will make up some glue with glow particles added to place on top of the rubber button.

CHEERS

Flashaholic

So far I have found one issue that is important to point out. I am having trouble finding the on/off button in the dark. Sometimes it is very frustrating and takes quite a few seconds to locate when first picked up in the dark. I am thinking it needs to have some glow in the dark feature or a locator LED under the button. Sure enough this button would be hard to be accidentally pressed as it is hard enough to find in the dark with it's low profile. Maybe I will make up some glue with glow particles added to place on top of the rubber button. CHEERS
    I've spent a lot of quality time with lights at night where I couldn't see them, so I'll tell you how I find side switches at night: Put your thumb and forefinger around the part of the light with the switch. You should instantly be able to feel where it is and find it to activate it. I find this method a lot faster than turning the light around and feeling for the switch.

On many lights you can squeeze at the same time and turn the light on. The squeezing method is a bit harder to do on the SR52 because of the relatively low profile of the switch, but squeezing works really well with the larger SR9x series.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGear.com View Post
    I've spent a lot of quality time with lights at night where I couldn't see them, so I'll tell you how I find side switches at night: Put your thumb and forefinger around the part of the light with the switch. You should instantly be able to feel where it is and find it to activate it. I find this method a lot faster than turning the light around and feeling for the switch.

On many lights you can squeeze at the same time and turn the light on. The squeezing method is a bit harder to do on the SR52 because of the relatively low profile of the switch, but squeezing works really well with the larger SR9x series.

I have tried your way of finding the button and it works a lot better.

The body of the light is too big in diameter to wrap my fingers right around but it beats holding the light in my hand and trying to find the button with my thumb.

The button could have been raised slightly to make it easier to find in the dark.

I am still considering raising the rubber button with something on top of it.

The buttons on the SR50, SR51 and the SR90/95 series are much higher and easier to find.

I love the Goingprepared flashlight comparison videos that are done out on the farm, keep them coming if possible!

CHEERS

At the moment the indicator LED on the light goes red when the batteries are getting very low.

CHEERS
    This is interesting, i did not tested that because my SR52 flashes, after that i put the 18650s in a Charger with LCD display and it showed 3.4V but thats not under load! It means the red flashing LED starts under 3.4V. My SR52 is also changed from the ones i see here which is strange. Mine eats flat top cells for breakfast

Last edited by FlashLion; 07-13-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Hello,
    I have bought a sr52 intimidator from a retailer. It was new. I did not have batteries for it. So I bought some from eBay. When I put them in the flashlight did not turn on. When I plug the cable in it does work. So I tested the batteries at a local shop and the batteries were fine , even bought different type of batteries, still did not work with them in. I need to know what I do wrong? I have tried everything nothing works

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Quote Originally Posted by Iglooo2 View Post
    Hello,
    I have bought a sr52 intimidator from a retailer. It was new. I did not have batteries for it. So I bought some from eBay. When I put them in the flashlight did not turn on. When I plug the cable in it does work. So I tested the batteries at a local shop and the batteries were fine , even bought different type of batteries, still did not work with them in. I need to know what I do wrong? I have tried everything nothing works

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums
    Button or flat-top. First batch need button. There is talk Olight 'updated' it, so the positive end will also take flat-tops.

OMG.... Arrrrgh... I have been considering a 2-3 18650 thrower recently. After carefully going over this excellent review I almost like it more than the catapult V5-----except no neutral tint version it seems. LOL there is always a catch.

martinaee, you can always get an SR52vn in whatever tint you like: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t-Have-Thrower
    It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. -- Confucius

Thumbs up Re: OLIGHT SR52 Intimidator (3x18650,XM-L2,1200Lm,Built In Charger) REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by martinaee View Post
    OMG.... Arrrrgh... I have been considering a 2-3 18650 thrower recently. After carefully going over this excellent review I almost like it more than the catapult V5-----except no neutral tint version it seems. LOL there is always a catch.
    Thanks for reading my reviews martinaee !
    Would be great if all manufacturers offer their top flashlights with a Neutral white LED,as ThruNite with their Catapult V5 and TN32. Unfortunately they do not.
    As cistallus suggests,modded flashlight by Vinh is a good option if you like the SR52 form factor and prefer a neutral white light.

YAY i just ordered this from GoingGear.com, there the BEST, i should get iton Monday, i also ordered the Thrunite TN32.....

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by joshjp View Post
    YAY i just ordered this from GoingGear.com, there the BEST, i should get iton Monday, i also ordered the Thrunite TN32.....
    Ohh NO! Another man caught in this addiction. However, do the best of the situation and enjoy your lights!
    I have TN32 and love it. One advantage if you get both these lights is that you can use the same set up of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Ohh NO! Another man caught in this addiction. However, do the best of the situation and enjoy your lights!
    I have TN32 and love it. One advantage if you get both these lights is that you can use the same set up of batteries.
    Im SOOO addicted to lights, i just got the TN32 and WOW its NUTS, i need it to be dark out, gotta wait 8HRS or so, but the SR52 should be great to.

Flashaholic*

Im SOOO addicted to lights, i just got the TN32 and WOW its NUTS, i need it to be dark out, gotta wait 8HRS or so, but the SR52 should be great to.
    I think even SR52 is great, and it's smaller size. More comfortable to hold, I guess. Did you get the cool white or neutral white of TN32?

I think even SR52 is great, and it's smaller size. More comfortable to hold, I guess. Did you get the cool white or neutral white of TN32?
    Yea it looks much smaler, i ordered the Cool White, i got the Thrunite TN12 Natural White and dnt like the color to much, i got the Cool White one also but it had dust were the LED was..GRRR

Does your TN32 flicker.when you turn it on? Mine does and then it turns on, I hope its normal or I'm never getting a thrunite
    product ever again.

Flashaholic*

Does your TN32 flicker.when you turn it on? Mine does and then it turns on, I hope its normal or I'm never getting a thrunite
    product ever again.
    No my TN 32 does not flicker, neither my TN35. Maybe you are very unlucky and got a faulty sample. Don't give up, this is a great light. No flashlight brand is completely free from problem. Contact the dealer.

No my TN 32 does not flicker, neither my TN35. Maybe you are very unlucky and got a faulty sample. Don't give up, this is a great light. No flashlight brand is completely free from problem. Contact the dealer.
    Hmmmm well im uploading a video on Youtube, i will try to post it here in the aThrunite TN32 Thread, if you can look there that will be great.

Flashaholic*

Hmmmm well im uploading a video on Youtube, i will try to post it here in the aThrunite TN32 Thread, if you can look there that will be great.
    Sure, I want!

Sure, I want!
    Great TY, i posted it there now.

I have been happily using my sr52 for four years. Always nice to see that Clean 1200 lumen light so readily available. Those original review is whatade me buy it.

Everytime I look at other lights online....I realize I don't need another one...but for some reason I want one.

The SR52 is STILL the most well designed and built high output LED 3x18650 size light I have ever had let alone even USE. I am STILL rocking my 4+ year old original XML2! I keep it very clean including the glass. It will STILL light up another entire HOUSE a block away.

Of course I got the SR52UT as well. Just as well built. These things are TANKS. Despite the fact that the SR52UT throws SO MUCH FARTHER the XP-L HI emitter in it jut does not put out one of the BEST beam profiles ever which in my opinion is still the XML2 SR52. PLENTY of throw, PLENTY of output and one of the FIRST lights to have such LONG run time abilities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12