Prometheus Beta-QR Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prometheus Beta-QR

Keychain lights: my biggest example of " Don't leave home without it".

Prometheus Beta-QR

Meat and Potatoes

Whenever I encounter anyone who has yet to understand the benefits of flashlight daily carry, I generally point them to a keychain light. These are small and easily ported, and therefore nearly always at hand. It's the light that's most likely to be on your person in an emergency. For me, it was this easy access that taught me the importance of carrying light.

Once I upgraded away from my initial button cell light, I started carrying the ever popular Fenix E01. I'd been in love with the reliability of that light for a while, so it took quite a bit for me to replace it, but eventually the FOURSEVENS Preon P0 took its place on my main keyring. The E01 was relegated to my backup keys and only used in weekends.

Then came an interesting review opportunity. Jason Hui of DarkSucks had expanded the Prometheus line into this coveted 1xAAA keychain light territory, and was offering me the amazing Triumvirate package of their new Beta-QR. To those unfamiliar with this tiny company, they have been in business lately making custom flashlights, and recently started selling a semi-custom ready-made variant of their original Alpha torch. The Triumvirate package is actually just a trio of the new Beta-QR lights, one in each of Anodized aluminum, Nickel plated, and a solid copper premium variant.

Prometheus Beta-QR

The Beta-QR is an attempt at the quintessential keychain light. With 1xAAA sending regulated power to a Nichia 219 high CRI LED, it made promises about light quality that I desperately hoped it would be able to back up. Let me start off by saying it definitely did. The beautiful creamy white goodness coming from this emitter is simply fantastic to someone who is rather accustomed to the stark blue-white of standard LEDs. I'm going to have a hard time going back to anything else after this.

Nichia 219′s

You aren't going to get mind blowing tactical brightness out of a light like this for a while yet, but in the mean time, the 60 lumen top end of the Beta (85 lumens on the copper model) is quite the stunning achievement. The diode pumping this light out is sitting in a very lightly stippled reflector directing it into forward a smooth usable beam. Obviously, small pocket lights are most suited to close range tasks, so the focus is relatively floody. I personally think it could trend just a little further in that direction, but that is preference, rather than requirement.

User interface on the Beta is fairly straight forward for this style of light. It's a 2 mode (Low-High) twist activation, with mode memory being thankfully absent. The premium copper model differs only by the inclusion of a 1 lumen moon mode. This setup is perfect, because a keychain light is not going to be used as a Tactical light. Predictably starting with the lowest amount of illumination possible, with the ability to increase as necessary is ideal.

The light itself is the Beta model of the Prometheus line. The QR suffix comes from the unique Quick Release function that has been built into it. Most, if not all, keychain flashlights are a compromise between always having the light handy, and having to deal with a handful of keys whenever you need to use it. The Beta fixes that dilemma. Each Prometheus Beta ships with a brass quick release device that securely attaches it to your keys, and yet allows allows it to operate as a stand alone torch at a moments notice. At first I genuinely doubted the reliability of this QR, but after carrying all three of these on my key or directly in my pocket for weeks now without a single failure, I'm a believer. They absolutely perform as advertised.

Quick Release

Constructive criticism

Fit and finish of the Beta are simply spectacular. Both the anodized and nickel plated aluminum models are flawless, and the court premium variant was so exquisitely beautiful it took a work of extreme determination to pocket it and begin to mar its finish. All three of these flavors will develop a use patina over time, so it's best to remember that ahead of time. I definitely haven't babied my lights at all (check out those dents!), so this should begin to show you what you can expect. Wait, if I like their fit and finish so much, why is this under the criticism section? One reason: size. The Beta is significantly larger than any light I've been willing to strap to my keys thus far and it is definitely a noticeable increase in keychain volume and heft. While I'm betting these will remain in my pocket for some time before they are meet with a worthy challenger, I sure would appreciate it if they were a touch more svelte.

Chunky light

I had an interesting discovery during my testing of the Beta. While the anodized and nickel played versions use constant current regulation to moderate power output, the higher quality premium version uses a high frequency PWM. I assume this has something to do with the ability to maintain efficiency in the low 1 lumen mode, but it was still surprising to say the least. I keep expecting that we as a flashlight community have moved past annoying pwm, but it doesn't appear to be the case. It keeps rearing it's ugly head. Thankfully, the Beta's frequency is high enough not to be noticeable during everyday use, but I would prefer to see it removed.

Conclusions

Powerful keychain lights, with amazing color clarity and stunning good looks that inherently develop character over time. The Beta-QR is here to stay for a while.

Usage Patina

Provided for review by the kind folks at DarkSucks.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the copper as well as the nickel plated ones, and like you I was surprised to see PWM rearing its head on the low and medium output of the copper version. I like the 3 output selection on the copper version and felt that I could live with the thankfully high frequency PWM so it is here to stay. As for the nickel plated version, the simplicity of the two output makes it easier to operate for people who don't care for low output. I really would wish to see these offered in titanium.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, I wasn't even aware of these. I absolutely love the Nichia 219 and I am glad to see it showing up more often. The quick disconnect feature is cool and reminds me of the Dunlop Straplocks on my guitar. These are very attractive lights, too.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I am glad to see reviews on the Beta QR's. I have all 3 and use the copper version the most, and it now shows many character marks. I don't notice the PWM at all. I also use the QD feature often.

The only thing I would like to see is a pocket clip option.

neco

Enlightened

Left to Right (Muyshondt Aeon, Arc AAA-P, TEC-s323, Prometheus Beta-QR, TEC-s323, 4sevens MLR2, 4sevens Preon ReVo)

I like quality of the Nichia 219 and the nickel plated finish however compared to my other EDC keychain lights the package is just too long in my opinion.
Threads could also be smoother and my quick release isn't the most perfect fit.
For my other flashlights that need a quick release I attach a McGizmo Nano clip (20mm).

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice review. I've been eyeing these for awhile, as well as the ready made version of the Alpha. The Beta is obviously more affordable, and would see much more use. With your helpful reminder that the light comes with that nifty quick release doohicky (having my keys dangling from my EZCR2 when I need it bugs me no end) and there is a Nichia 219 in it, well, I think my well-worn NiteCore is going to be relegated to back-up duty.

neco

Enlightened
Ooh, I like those TEC-s323's. I might need to look into those.

I found the easiest place to get them from was from Merkava on CPFMarketplace under "WTS: Other Personal". That way you get the fob and tritium all at the same time.