Help on converting a Lam-1000/peq14 to led

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
Hello I was wondering if anyone had and experience or would like to help me in converting my lam-1000/peq 14 to a led light. I have search pretty well with nothing to show. Any help would be great. Thanks for reading.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Is there a particular reason you want to convert it to a visible light instead of the IR it currently in? There are some design obstacles to address. Also is it an Insight or a Wilcox? One of the problems of going from IR to visible is the driver in an IR LED typically is pretty low power compared to the visible. I don't remember the spec's on the PEQ14 but I bet its in a low millwatt range. BTW welcome to CPF.

Last edited:

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
I just want to convert the visable indacancent light to led. the ir is separate from the visible. Also thanks glad to be here.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Converting the incandescent to LED should be simple. If it has a lamp module, like a P60, the rest is modification. Any chance you know what lamp assembly the LAM1000 takes? I'm pretty sure this is a straight forward adaptation. And I'm no stranger to doing this type of re-engineering. AFAIK I am the only modder who does LED conversions for the Insight Technologies VL1 light or the Pentagon Lights X2, X3 lights and the MS2 so your project should be simple.

Last edited:

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
here is a link to the type of bulb. Hopefully later today I can get some pics but its a rather small assemble with not allot of room.

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of trying the mini mag light led conversion but I don't know if it can handle 6v.

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
by the way the lamp assembly doesn't just screw in its a push and twist.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Nice pic's! And thanks for the reference quarter. A quarter is 24mm so that really helps. Looks like the lamp module is bayonet style. Nothing new there. The inner housing looks to be close to the quarter in diameter so that means the reflector is smaller. Probably 19 or 20mm. I have a selection of those on hand. I'm hoping a 15mm AMC7135 based driver will fit. It looks like it will from the pic's but scale is not 100%. Looks promising at this point.

But if you think the mini mag option will work by all means give it a try. Wont cost much to find out.

Last edited:

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
I would rather get advice from some one who knows what there doing lol. Can the mini mag light conversion handle 6v. What do you think would be the better way to go? Also if you need more pics please let me know.

Bada Bing

Newly Enlightened
I also would like to explore the opportunities for upgrading the LAM-1000.

I bought a standard Insight M3 bulb to replace the blown original. Worked for a day until it blew, it was weak in terms of lumens. The little red light on a television left on standby provided better light.

I've looked into getting the LED upgrade kit for the M3 as the modules appear identical. I couldnt find any in stock that were below $150. So i have ordered a whole M3 LED illuminator.

I'll report my findings once i get my mitts on it. Expensive way to go about it :thumbsdow

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
yes sound like a very expensive. So what do you think m4a1usr. It sounds like you already have an idea so please share and send link and or explain what I would have to do. Thanks again

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I kinda reread what I wrote and I sounded like a **** lol when I meant someone who knew what they are doing I meant you m4a1usr.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Sorry I kinda reread what I wrote and I sounded like a **** lol when I meant someone who knew what they are doing I meant you m4a1usr.

No offense taken. I'm always open to new projects and this one sounds like it needs some particular skills. Not that I'm bragging but I have miles to go in proving myself to fellow CPF'ers so taking on challenging projects is one method of overcoming perceptions. I don't see your project as terribly difficult. It just needs some custom modifications to commonly available parts and I have a jewelers lathe and a mill. So don't worry. I wouldn't modify your parts. You would get them back as original. My intent would be to take/manufacture custom parts that fit with what you have.

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
well i am back from vacation and I would love for you to take this as a project and help me out. Let me know what you need me to do.

nuke0070

Newly Enlightened
well m4 I am awaiting your suggestions do I ship out what you need or do I not I would like some help from a skilled craftsmans to make it happen. Please let me know

m4a1usr

Enlightened
well m4 I am awaiting your suggestions do I ship out what you need or do I not I would like some help from a skilled craftsmans to make it happen. Please let me know

You know I have been so busy doing Surefire Conversions in the last month I totally spaced this one out. Send me a PM with what you would like done and we can get the ball rolling. I'm going to have to machine a custom adapter from what I see in your pictures but it will be more than obvious once in my hands.

wskteo

Newly Enlightened
I'm also interested in getting an led upgrade if you happen to work this out, thanks.

Latest posts