"Go Bags" Whacha got in yours?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"Go Bags\" Whacha got in yours?

Pertaining to all this possible terrorist activity, many have mentioned the use of "go bags" that have items used in an emergency to grab and go. What do all of you store or carry in these bags?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

I'm interested in learning what people have and what I should put in a go bag. I've heard of it, but currently I only have a mix-mash of stuff I threw into an overnight bag. A change of clothes including underwear, extra socks. I change what clothes is in there depending on my landry situation and the current season. A small portable radio, a couple of small flashlights and batteries. One multitool, my passport, a bottle of water and a granola bar. What else SHOULD I put in there?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: \"Go Bags\" Whacha got in yours?

Don't especially got one, just got my normal bag. Where would I "go" in the event of a terrorist attack? Unless my building got smashed, I'd probably try to stay put through whatever was happening.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashlights (L4, E1e w/KL1, Inova 24/7, I have EDC on me an Arc LSH-P, AAA-LE and AA as well), multitool (Craftsman branded Kershaw) spare folding knife (CRKT Lightfoot M1, I carry a Strider GB) sharpeners (Diafolds in four grits and Eze-lap rod) small AM/FM radio (Sangean SR-1) spare batteries for all lights and radio, bandana, bandaids, hand sanitizer, sunglasses, spare scarf, gloves and hat and snap off hood to my coat, ear plugs, cell phone, paracord lengths, whistle, disposable lighters, two energy bars (I will add an MRE and Case Hobo for situations like the hightened alert),and finally cash. If I didn't already wear waterproof coats I would add a poncho.

That is just the primary bag too. I have another backpack with extended gear and I have contingency for my pets as well, both for travel and if I MUST leave them behind to give them a chance to survive till I can return. I keep stuff on hand for in place subsistance too.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re:

i have one big bag and in that bag is 3 other bags, one bag is blue. the other is green.and one is leather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tsg68 said:
... I keep stuff on hand for in place subsistance too.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well why don't you go over to this thread and tell us what's in that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Don't especially got one, just got my normal bag. Where would I "go" in the event of a terrorist attack? Unless my building got smashed, I'd probably try to stay put through whatever was happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things - One, your plan to "stay where you are" os a basically good plan 90% of the time, and even has a name in disaster services planning - it's called "Shelter in place"

The OTHER thing is, you have a huge hole in your preps is ALL you are thinking about is "terrorist attack". Think "Mundane" - the kind of evacs that happen hundreds to thousands of times every year in the US

You have a highway near your house? How about trains? What happens if a truck/train car full of "XXXX" gets in an accident and starts leaking, say, at 2:00am. The police department knocks on your door and says "You have 5 minutes to leave - you'll be gone for a couple of days, take what you need" Would you be in a panic thinking about what you need, or could you calmly reach over, grab a bag or two, throw it in your car, and go?

The term "Go Bag" was originally meant for "responders" - you know, the folks heading towards whatever everyone else is running from. What most folks need is a layered 72 hour kit. Let's face it, if your going to shelter in place for 72 hours, it's probably NOT that big a deal, unless I told you that the water was off, and you have to survive on what you have. If I told you that you have to leave your house, and live in a shelter for 72 plus hours, and there would be VERY limited supplies for the first 72 hours, that's a lot harder - but that is a common scenario!!! (it takes all the major disaster groups 72 hours to get a full response going)

Now, if I told you that you are 15 miles from home, and something hits, then that's something else - you might have some stuff in your car. Heck, do you have a first aid kit, a fire extingusher, and some water in your car? How about a small amount of food, a blanket and the like? I don't know where you live, but, let's say it's snowing today, and your car was to break down in the "worst spot" during your commute. What would you do? I'd be OK, for about 48 hours between the stuff in my truck, and my "go bag"

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Go Bags

The original question mentioned terrorist attack so I answered in that context. Basically though I still don't have a "go bag". I'd just take my usual belt pack and grab a few spare clothes on the way out.

Re staying at home for 72 hours with no supplies: I think I could do that. I have a few gallons of water stashed under the sink (might be funky by now, maybe I should sample it or replace it). Plus I usually have some food around, though the main staples (e.g. Ramen noodles) require cooking and I don't have a camp stove, so I'm hosed if the gas is out. I might go pick up a can or two of Sterno for that purpose (don't feel like buying a real stove right now).

I think if there was a large scale emergency, getting anywhere from here by car would be hopeless. Traffic is snarled enough on normal days. If bridges or tunnels were out, forget it. I'd have better chances with my mountain bike. But as we're discussing, my best strategy is probably stay put.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you backpack, you have a bug out bag already. This should cover 80-90% of your emergency/survival preparations. Add some cash, a passport, and other ID to your backpack, and add some additional stuff for your home: kerosene heater, water, food, etc., and be done with it. Think dual mode system: Preparations for the home, with the option of bugging out, as mentioned above.

On other thing: I started years ago with a duffle bag as a bug out bag. Try walking a mile with a duffle bag full of stuff, and you'll be looking for a backpack to replace it real quick. And don't ever assume you can travel everywhere by vehicle, plane train, etc. You simply do not know what may happen, and you may very well have to travel at times on foot.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

On top of my edc, I am becoming somewhat of a "bag" freak. I've started buying differend kinds of bags and storage containers for everything. So if anything does happen that I have to pick up and go I'm ready but I also have a place to put things. I now have a toolbag for the truck as well as a go bag with everything from a rechargeable razor for job job interview preparation to a compass for wilderness survival. My laptop has its own bag since it contains my life, it would go with me. I have a bag for the cd burner, bag for my electronic tools, bag for some spare electronic components, etc. It does make it nice now that I know where things are, they are not just in that pile in the spare room anymore.

ewick

Enlightened

Good thread. My BOB is my hiking pack. Anything I'll absolutely NEED during an emergency is in there. I try to pack light, so there aren't any luxury items like camp stoves, PDAs, etc. But there's enough to get me through the first 72 hours reasonably comfortably.

Granted, urban survival is a different animal than wilderness survival, but I don't think the basics are that different. In a real emergency, you'll need to cover 3 basic areas: shelter, fire, and food/water (water being the more critical of the two). 72 hours without water will hurt more than 72 hours without food. Anything else is a creature comfort IMO.

I can't list all my contents off the top of my head, so I'll try to get a list together tonight.

guncollector

Enlightened

The big difference between surviving in urban vs. wilderness settings is the need for information.

In any urban setting, remember to keep a small AM/FM radio, and plenty of extra batteries to keep updated on events, emergency relief, traffic, etc.

--------------------
For everyone's convenience, here's my "Preparedness Philosophy" and sample "pack lists" as follows (BTW, never mind the "brand new" or "model" of the gear, as it changes for me quite often as I "tweak". Use it more for the generic outline of the category of items included):

3-Layered Urban Survival Kit approach

I have a 3-Layered Urban Survival Kit approach.

'Why 3 layers', you ask?

Well, my job doesn't permit me to carry my ALICE pack of Urban Survival gear with me everywhere I go. And, I'd be willing to wager a good percentage of you couldn't carry one with you everywhere either. And even if you could carry your kit with you (i.e. in your car, truck), you wouldn't be carrying it with you into a restaurant, bank, or business appointment--thus having no immediate accessibility to your kit.

So, I hedge my survivability odds with a 3-layered approach as follows:

Layer 1) ALWAYS on my person
Layer 2) ALWAYS accessible
(i.e., within "easy" reach)
Layer 3) OPTIMALLY accessible (i.e., available to me in best-case scenario)

So, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Layer 1: ALWAYS on my person
- bandana
- cell phone
- folding knife (CRK Sebenza)
- glowring (on keychain) (by traser, 10 year radiance, and enough light to read by in pitch dark)
- info "cheat sheet": bank acct numbers, important tel. numbers, insurance acct./tel. info, etc.)
- money (plenty of cash)/ID/credit cards
- phone card, pre-paid
- photon-II micro light (on keychain)
- sas compass (in wallet, fully functional and only 5mm wide, 15mm diameter!)

Layer 2: always accessible (i.e. "within easy reach"; in my briefcase, coat pocket, etc.)
- ham radio ht (yaesu vx-5r with spare li-batt & aa-batt)
- multi-tool (leatherman wave)
- Urban Survival Mini Kit (in altoids tin as container for following)
. butane lighter (bic mini)
. condom (for water storage)
. bandaids (9 assorted sizes)
. duct tape (2"x3" taped to outside, 10 ft. 1/2" strip "sealing" the tin around the perimeter)
. iodine sterilization pads (4 pc.)
. iodine water tablets (6 pc.)
. jig saw blade, high carbon (3" section)
. internal strands from paracord (5 - 7-ft. lengths)
. matches, waterproof (with striker) (7 pc.)
. paper (waterproof) (3 3"x5" pg.) & pencil
. reflective mylar (from kiddie balloon, taped to inside lid of
. tin top for use as signal mirror)

Layer 3: optimally accessible
- This is the "full" Bugout Bag (commonly referred to as a BoB), that everyone should have at their ready--whether at home or in the office (ideally multiple, redundant units of such). I don't want to start another thread on this well-covered topic; but a search under "Bugout Bag" or "Urban Survival Kit" will turn up dozens, if not hundreds of hits.

Hope that helps! Stay Safe! And Be Prepared!

--------------------
So, for the perpetually curious, here's what in my Home Bug Out Bag (packed in two packs actually, one each for my wife and I to carry).:

Clothing
Clothing (1 chg. per family member)
Footwear & Socks
Communications
AM/FM radio
Batteries, extra for radio
First Aid
First Aid Kit (supplemented with a couple sutures kits)
Ibuprofen
Hygiene/Toiletries
Camp Suds
Towlettes, moist
Diaper(s) (for infants/toddlers)
Misc
Duct Tape
Lighter, Butane (2)
Insurance Policy (most recent copy)
Compass
Para-Cord, 100 ft.
Pen & Paper, waterproof
Plastic Bag, 50 ga., 3mm (so many uses)
Shelter
Poncho & Liner
Sleeping Bag, Snugpak (2) TP500+TS1 Liner (super compact)
Sustenance
Food, MRE's & Backpacking-type Dehydrated meals
Water, Bottled (6 x 16.9 oz.)
Water, Carrier
Water, Filter Safewater Expedition
Water, Purification Tablet
Self-Defense
<per your requirements /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif>
Tools
Knife, Cold Steel Recon Scout
Knife Sharpener, Gatco Triceps Diamond
Light, Flashlight (2), Arc LS, Surefire 6Z
Light, Headlamp Petzl Tikka (AAA)
Multi-tool, Leatherman Micra
Multi-tool, Leatherman Wave

HTH!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

guncollector,

I've got one of those info cheat sheets in my wallet too. Comes in real handy at times. Also, what's an sas compass? Is that a brand name? Been looking for a decent small compass myself.

Eugene,

Are you into Nalgene bottles? I converted a lot of my kitchen storage stuff to Nalgene - both Lexan and HDPE. Works for spices, bulk grains, nuts, liquids, etc., and they won't leak, puncture, admit water/moisture, hazardous gases or bugs. And yeah, you can throw it all into a couple of sacks and into your trunk on your way out. Instant 3 month supply of food! I have some really beefy nylon sacks my brother gave me that he used to use at his job. Been looking for a few more like those. They're great for moving too.

MichiganMan

Enlightened

BTW, a lot of people don't know that any old cell phone is capable of calling 911 whether it has a contract or not. So take that old cell phone that you've replaced with a newer model, but couldn't bring yourself to pitch, and add it to your bag along with a car adapter.

Being one of those that are religiously opposed to submitting to the leash of a cell phone, this little trick increased my piece of mind substantially.

paulr

Flashaholic

SAS compass is a tiny and very expensive compass sold by tadgear.com among others. Countycomm has a keychain compass for one dollar that's not as high class, but works well enough, so I have that instead. These are basically similar to the dinky compasses that strap to watch bands.

I use 1 gallon "clear" spring water bottles (they have a nice wide screw top) for storing rice. They work really well for that, since it's easy to pour from them into a cup for cooking. I also have a bunch of them under the sink filled with tap water. For hiking I usually carry water in re-used bottled water bottles (0.5-1.5 liters). They're not as durable as nalgene, but who cares, they're free, and easy to replace when they get worn.

Ziplock bags work fine for carrying water in emergencies too. Using condoms for that is imaginative I guess, but jeez.

guncollector

Enlightened

Lux,

The SAS Compass is a tiny, fully-functional compass that I got long ago from Triple Aught Design. It came as part of a survival kit (of which I procured a couple and retailored to my uses) they offered for about $25.00.

MM,

That's right. By law, all cell phone must be able to dial 911 or 112 (in Europe), etc.

The best "old cell phones" would be the phones that function on the older analog (AMPS) networks, which have excellent coverage even in rural areas.

HTH!

AlphaTea

Enlightened

Well...
$100 cash
$10 quarters
Passports, Birth Certs, Shot records, Copy of CCW
Laminated sheet with addresses, phone numbers, various account numbers, policy numbers etc, CPR and first aid instructions.
First aid kit
4 20 oz bottles of water
1 pound Beef Jerky
6 surgical masks
12 latex gloves
Mini roll of toilet paper
2 30 minute flares
Leatherman Wave
SAK
100 extra rds 9mm (152 total)
2 space blankets
12'x12' sheet of plastic
25' Duct tape
mirror
Brunton Glorb mini lantern with enough fuel for 12 hours
2 Bic lighters
Blast match
100' nylon rope
8 10P nails
Misc "female" products for wife
1 pint vodka 150 proof
tooth brushes, unwaxed floss (2)
Fish hooks
Safety Pins
E2E with KL-1 and 12 SF123A
4 Photon II's (2 white, 2 red)
2 Glowrings
Solar/NiMH/Hand crank Multi band radio
Spare set of Keys to everything
2 Pair Tube Socks
1 pair of sheer stockings
1 Tube Super glue
Wistle
Disposable camera
Deck of cards
Black Sharpie

Lighthouse

Enlightened

Quite a bunch of great posts in response to your question. When you have a moment,go check out www.equipped.org Lot's of outstanding information, links and really good forums to review with plenty of information being shared.

Also, check out www.emergencyessentials.com for dehydrated and freeze dried food information. It's amazing where a google search will take you using words like emergency preparedness, MRE, dehydrated foods, freeze dried foods.

Caution Note: You will come across some survival forums that can quickly get into religion / politics / end of the world scenarios, a little too radical for my taste, but even some of them have nuggets of solid information.

Lighthouse

Latest posts