Last Fenix D Cell Lights

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I have a new TK60 on the way from Battery Junction who have had it on sale for a while, presumably a clearance item. I have had a TK50 since it first came out and really like it so decided to get it's big brother before they all disappear as Fenix has stopped production of ALL of their D cell lights, unfortunately from my perspective. They may be bulky but IMO have some advantages.

I like the long run time of the TK50 on D size NiMH batteries and note the same to be true of the TK60 even in turbo mode with 4 NiMh batteries per it's specifications. I also have a set of 3AA to D cell adapters so if necessary can run it on 9 or 12 AA NiMH cells. With two of the adapters loaded with AA standard Eneloops the TK50 runs for 3 hours in Turbo mode.

In addition to the TK60 that is coming I have a 4 cell Mag-Lite that has the Terralux TLE 310M-EX drop-in installed. It gives an almost all flood beam and while it claims up to 1000 Lumens I judge it to be about half that or a little more with 4 NiMH batteries in the light. The paperwork with the Terralux module notes that the 1000 Lumens is per LED makers claims so is certainly LED Lumens rather than OTF light output which means a best case OTF output of 700 Lumens or so. Be interesting to compare the lights when the TK60 arrives, a thrower versus a almost pure flood beam. I also ordered the diffusor for the TK60 so it can be a pure flood beam too.

If you want a Fenix D cell light get it soon as they are getting scarce and there is nothing directly comparable n the market that I know of.

ven

Flashaholic
Congrats on your lights:thumbsup:
I purchased a tk50 a few month back,wanted a D cell light for work but its too throwy and flood is more useful for my work. Used a diffuser(60mm nitecore) and worked fine. Just a little too big when climbing in machines so its retired from work duty.....

I love the UI(same as tk75vn and tk61vn) easy to use,great feel/design and what i call a "proper flashlight" in looks/size.

Run mine of nimh D cells

Next to the tk51

tk75vn/tk50/tk51/tk61vn

Couple of comp pics
tk50 on turbo

tk61vn

Quite a difference but obv expected,still i love it:) that tk60 is a beast:eek:

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Colight;

If you are not joking:

A "D" cell is also known as a "D" size battery and was the first compact hand held flashlight battery produced, about 1900 or a bit earlier IIRC. The large alkaline batteries found for sale in virtually all American drug stores and supermarkets. Also available in NiMH rechargeable versions. Until about 15 to 20 years ago the commonest battery used in larger incandescent bulb flashlights such as Mag-Lite flashlights. Mag-Lite still makes versions in 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D and 6D sizes and used to do a 7D version. Big flashlights made out of machined aluminum. The battery itself is about 33 mm in diameter and 60 mm long. and is 1.5 volts output except for the NiMH ones which are 1.2V, like all other NiMH batteries. The best NiMH versions can supply up to 10 amps of current per a manufacturer's specification sheet I have seen.

The largest of the standard cylindrical alkaline and carbon-zinc primary flashlight batteries which are still made in sizes AAAA, AAA, AA, C and D sizes.

The 2D incandescent bulb flashlight sized about like the Fenix TK50 used to be the "standard size" utility flashlight and was ubiquitous in most of the world for 90+ years.

colight

Enlightened
Colight;

If you are not joking:

A "D" cell is also known as a "D" size battery and was the first compact hand held flashlight battery produced, about 1900 or a bit earlier IIRC. The large alkaline batteries found for sale in virtually all American drug stores and supermarkets. Also available in NiMH rechargeable versions. Until about 15 to 20 years ago the commonest battery used in larger incandescent bulb flashlights such as Mag-Lite flashlights. Mag-Lite still makes versions in 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D and 6D sizes and used to do a 7D version. Big flashlights made out of machined aluminum. The battery itself is about 33 mm in diameter and 60 mm long. and is 1.5 volts output except for the NiMH ones which are 1.2V, like all other NiMH batteries. The best NiMH versions can supply up to 10 amps of current per a manufacturer's specification sheet I have seen.

The largest of the standard cylindrical alkaline and carbon-zinc primary flashlight batteries which are still made in sizes AAAA, AAA, AA, C and D sizes.

The 2D incandescent bulb flashlight sized about like the Fenix TK50 used to be the "standard size" utility flashlight and was ubiquitous in most of the world for 90+ years.

Thank you for your detailed explantion,I was not joking,I don't know what D cell light means.I own my first light last year,I don't know much about the history of flashlight and its development.Thanks for sharing this.

eff

Enlightened
Excuse me,what is the D cell light?

A D cell light is a light that uses LR20/HR20/D batteries. D cells allow for long runtimes, and with the nimh version, the possibility of using them in lights with a high current draw.
Fenix used to produce quality D cell lights like the TK50 (shown in the pictures above), TK60 or TK70.
You can still find them on amazon or on specialized websites.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
... or TK70.
You can still find them on amazon or on specialized websites.
Man, I love that light :D Big and Powerful.
Once a guy thought a truck came towards him. But it wasn't.. it was me with my TK70 :D

eff

Enlightened
Man, I love that light :D Big and Powerful.
Once a guy thought a truck came towards him. But it wasn't.. it was me with my TK70 :D
Nice, lol :D
I also have the TK70. I'm pampering it, only feeding it with quality nimh cells. :)
What I love about this light, is the possibility of running it on turbo for more than 1h (1h31mn on tenergy cells), without any stepdown :D

Last edited:

Latest posts