New Home Defense Nightstand Light Suggestions

gnu

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is an older Quark123 which I like for it's size and power. I got a 10 pack of Fenix 123's years ago and still have 5 or so left.
My dog walking light is their Quark Pro QPA. I prefer this due to it's size and AA availability. I have a dozen or so Eneloops so this guy is in my go bag.
I now want a blinding Zombie Apocalypse nightstand light. I want more throw and more lumens. I want stopping power, well, more then I have now.
My budget is $70-$80.
I'm most familiar with Fenix and Foursevens.
I am undecided about battery type. AA, 123 or USB rechargeable is fine.
My current charger is Panasonic AA BQ-390.
I'm not looking to have to get a new charger.
I like the low moonlight low's and an easily accessible strobe.
Suggestions?

Taz80

Enlightened
Take a look at the Sunwayman D40A. It has strobe and moonlight (.5lm) accessable from off, and takes 4 AA batteries. High is 980lm

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are already familiar with Quarks, why not get a QP2L-X or QT2L-X with burst mode? Uses 2 CR123s, and puts out at least 780 lumens. It also has the moonlight mode you like.

gnu

Newly Enlightened
I am pleased with my Quarks but didn't want to limit my search just to their products. I am also looking for more throw then I currently own. I've found the D40A for ~$60, meets my specs, I like the AA form factor, just not sure about the beefy size. Guess it doesn't matter if I'm night standing it. They appear to have a lot of good reviews on here, and it'd give me an excuse to buy some new eneloops...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the AA cells, you might want to look at the Eagletac GX25A3 or SX25A6. No moonlight mode but goes down to 9 lumens and up over 1000 lumens.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm sorry but IMO $70-80 isn't a good price point for a home defense nightstand light.
My light in this category has an emitter module from a production run that has never had a failed unit.
The tailswitch is the SureFire Z41 tailcap which I think is the most reliable flashlight switch ever made.
Combining true 100% reliability with maximum performance does not come cheaply.
Best of luck with your search,

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Right. Call it want you want. I have specific requirements and budget. 100% reliability would also be nice but I don't think that can be guaranteed at any price. Understanding that you get what you pay for,...

dss_777

Enlightened
Given the most realistic uses of a nightstand light, get a small light and a big stick. The light for seeing near and far, and the stick for, well... whatever a big stick is good for.

Do you really need a big soup-can sized light to find the bathroom? ;)

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Given the most realistic uses of a nightstand light, get a small light and a big stick. The light for seeing near and far, and the stick for, well... whatever a big stick is good for.;)
I got a stick. I call her Glock19.

No. However Need and Want are 2 diff things. ;)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the most realistic uses of a nightstand light, get a small light and a big stick. The light for seeing near and far, and the stick for, well... whatever a big stick is good for.

I use a Zebralight SC52 as my nightstand light. I doubt it would be much use for defense! Perhaps if I could throw really hard...?

dss_777

Enlightened
I got a stick. I call her Glock19.

No. However Need and Want are 2 diff things. ;)

Good for you! I WAS going to suggest an X300U attached under something able to throw a little more mass than photons, but was trying to work with your budget. :)

My bedside light is a Malkof MD2 with high low switch. And a gen 2 version of your other option, without the rail unfortunately. The 6P variants will definitely leave a mark... ;)

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've modified this nitecore mh25 to better suit home defense needs.

y6u2e9ub.jpg

Little heavier than stock, but effective.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lean toward this (<) side of the practical <> tactical continuum and collect a bit in sub-lumen/AA/14500 lights. I have the D40A and love it as great AA power thrower but it's not the first light I would grab for a nightstand home defense light, unless I intended to throw it. The side buttons are kinda small, difficult to locate, and UI a bit complex - all less than ideal if you've just woken from sleep and/or are in some sort of panic mode.

I started out with Quarks, and after falling in love with its moonlight mode, tried just about everything else out there in the AA/sub-lumen niche in an attempt to beat them - but for my flashlight priorities (extreme versatility), I can not. In your home defense example, my single most important "feature" would a single-handed momentary max from ON so I could scan the house on moonlight or low (night-adapted eyes), and then instantly blast Max if necessary - Quark Pros are the only lights I own that can do it**, and with enough finesse to signal Morse. I personally couldn't imagine trying to clear a house with a true tactical UI that only gives you momentary max from OFF, or requires two hands to switch from a practical low to a tactical max.

I also find throwy lights to be detrimental indoors - the tight high-lux hotspots, and relatively dim spill, hurt night vision and make it more difficult for me to evaluate distance and discern objects at close distances. I suppose the higher lux is better for blinding an adversary, but a narrow beam also means it's harder to hit your target (eyes).

For the fun of it, I'm currently running a QP2L-X Burst Mode head on a 1xAA tube with IMR 14500 which is quite devastating at ~800 lumens (more or less the same as my D40A by my lightbox), but my mainstay is the QP2A-X on a 1xAA tube running a 3V CRAA primary or ICR 14500 for ~400 lumens at max. In a Zombie Apocalypse, I like that I can power the later with anything from a 9V and AAA to anything between a CR123 and 18650 with a piece of tinfoil.

** note: momentary max from any lower mode in use is a work-around, not a designed function.

credo

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the D40A. It's a very capable light with 4 flashing modes and moonight - 980 lumens. It tailstands very well and can take a Nitecore diffuser to make an excellent lamp.

Last edited: