Osram Led Tracer light

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I just saw this in one of the hardware stores here, and it looks pretty sleek. Not sure if anyone else has one and if so how's the beam? The form factor looks pretty cool, altho not many websites have information in English. Here's a link that has the light and at the bottom of the page is a preview of one of Siemens' concept (I think) of using white Leds as a flash for phone cameras... looks pretty and all, but wonder if it'll work? Other search results from Google resulted in lots of German sites, I was just too lazy to translate it with Babelfish...

The Led Tracer itself looks like a mini 'Energizer double barrel', with a switch on top, and the lens has a 'spot' in the centre, likely magnified optics for more throw. Not sure if such a tiny hotspot will be of any help, but one good point I foresee is that it allows for some flood as well. Think I might just have to get me one of those and see...

Anyway, if anyone has any more info on the Led Tracer please share! Thanks in advance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jumi

Enlightened
Hi. I bought mine from gas station a month ago for 13$.
It has aluminium barrels with plastic head and end. It is manufactured by Lomak. It works with 2 AAA batteries and has 4 component step up circuit.
I wasn't happy with light output so I changed the led to Nichias 5.6cd product. Now the output is reasonable for one led product and also current draw dropped.

Juha

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumi, thanks for the info! Sounds like the Led in there isn't worth paying the price for? Hmmm.. I might drop by the store again and take a closer look at it again. Over here they're going for about what you paid, approx USD$12+ or so... So, did the change of led take much soldering/technical skills?

Jumi

Enlightened
Hi. Changing the led is easy, just take the reflector away. Unscrew 2 small screws and take board away and remove old led and solder new one (good) in. Remember leds polarity.

I keep mine in work if we lose electricity or something.
Not in everyday use, too big to carry.

Juha

and Merry Christmas.

T

The_Phantom

Hello,
This is my first time to say anything in a forum. I hope I do it right. I bought a Osram tracer at Conrad a few months ago (paid 9.95 euro for it) and am of course dissapointed with the light output I don´t know where to get LED´s other than by Conrad. does anyone know if the Conrad No. 15 39 08-33 is better than the original?

The Phantom

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guten Tag, Phantom! Vie Geht's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry, no idea on the Leds you're talking about. Well, if you do a quick search around CPF you will be able to find a few LED dealers who do international shipping at a reasonable price. If you're looking for Led lights, I'd suggest you start with a Arc AAA, its mighty bright for its size! Else I think a SL 4aa 7Led could also easily outshine the Osram Tracer... For the price of the Tracer here, I think I'd hold on to my $ and buy a better light...

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
conrad´s 15 39 08-33 is a Nichia LED. They are IMO the best LEDs around: bright and good color rendition:) This is a good and normal priced web store in Germany www.dotlight.de. They sell better nichias (better rank) at 1.5euro...:) 5euro for a 5mm LED...tjeezzz:)

T

The_Phantom

Thanks to both of you. I will let you know what I decide to do. dotlight looks like just what I have been looking for. Hope I did this right,danke.
The Phantom

Jumi

Enlightened
Hi. If you decide to buy the light, change the led to better one and solder wire between 20 Ohm resistor. Make sure that it is the right resistor because core looks the same as resistor.
I tried luxeon star emitter in it but it wasn't bright enought.

Juha