R.I.P: Beloved Nitecore D10 GDP

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
I picked up my Nitecore D10 GDP in 2008 after posting this thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?213305-Recommend-me-a-Single-AA-Light

This light barely left my pocket in the following 6 years and has been wonderful. The D10 has been reliable, bright, and always there when I needed it. Every time I thought about upgrading, I ended up changing my mind and sticking with the D10.

However, last night, I pulled the D10 from pocket only to find that head had sheared off about 6mm above the thread and was hanging on by a small twist of metal, which then gave up and the two ends parted ways, forever :(

IMG_20140619_070515_355.jpg

I'm sad to see it go, and now have to go through the process of finding a successor.

~Patrick

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I would contact Nitecore, maybe you get a replacement..or even an upgrade ;) I would consider the EC1

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such kind of material failure is covered by Eagletac 10 yrs warranty. Get a D25-series titanium light as replacement! ;)

BriteLite2

Enlightened
This was a known flaw in the first D10s. they subsequently beefed up that area

I am amazed it lasted as long as it did!!! Unfortunately the fix is probably not worth the wait or price

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to say only one thing you can do...move forward :) Begin the hunt for a replacement. Any thoughts?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such kind of material failure is covered by Eagletac 10 yrs warranty. Get a D25-series titanium light as replacement! ;)

Be nice if they covered the driver under that 10 yr warranty ;)

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Contact member "jhanko" he made custom Ti lights from the D10's and had a stockpile of the original bodies he made them from. The later versions are thicker.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I love to see this kind of loyalty to a flashlight, especially in our throwaway society and when led's are advancing so rapidly and everyone want the "next best thing". You have earned to treat yourself to a McGizmo with that kind of loyalty.

Hellz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and support, I knew you guys would understand ;)

If a repair is not appropriate (still looking into it, thanks for suggestions) then I am considering the following:

1. Zebralight SC52W
2. Eagletac D25 Clicky (titanium)
3. Sunwayman V11R (with AA adapter)

I am already leaning towards the SC52W, but am still open to suggestions.

Thanks again,
~Patrick

pblanch

Enlightened
Initially I would weep.

Then I look at getting a new one (yeah)

I have the SC52 and it never leaves my pocket.

Happy Hunting.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would fix the D10, and get the SC52W. They're both a couple of my all-time favorite EDC lights and have the most unique, convenient UIs in the business.

blademan

Enlightened
I see D10 bodies for sale so I would post a WTB ad on CPF marketplace if I were you. This light is my all time favorite!

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Initially I would weep.

Then I look at getting a new one (yeah)

I have the SC52 and it never leaves my pocket.

Happy Hunting.

Agreed, SC52 is a solid choice. I've carried mine everyday for a year and a half. Still looks nearly new. I was slightly skeptical of the UI after coming from my Quark Tactical but it is an excellent EDC interface.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
2. Eagletac D25 Clicky (titanium)
3. Sunwayman V11R (with AA adapter)

I have both of these and they are both great lights.

The D25C Ti is blingy but I actually prefer the HA. Better heat dispersion and a bit lighter weight. HA is plenty strong enough for my needs.

The variable ring on the V11R is excellent but I dislike having an additional tail switch. Some folks prefer that to reduce accidental activation but I prefer no switch. The SWM M11R is better for me in that regard but is stepped rather than continuously variable. I actually prefer the Niteye Eye10 or Jetbeam RRT01 to either of these SWM lights.

Ken