Sunwayman V10r Ti or V10r Ti+

• I prefer the previous gen V10r Ti

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I prefer the newer gen V10r Ti+

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light seems to fit the bill for me for a sub-$200 Ti light. Variable output, tail switch, good size/output. I was thinking about getting the "+" version, but I've read comments about people feeling that the earlier non "+" version was of a higher quality.

So if you don't mind, please vote so we can see what the general consensus on this is. Thanks!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older Ti version is XP-G. The Ti+ is XM-L.

I voted for the older Ti as it makes for a more overall useful light indoors and out. The extra throw means you can use it outside.
The Ti+ seems more limited to being a general indoor light as outdoors the flood dissipates quickly.

mikeyx

Enlightened
The older XP-G is just about the perfect EDC. Much nicer beam than the TI+, more than enough lumens and a super low moonlight mode, and overall quality is better (no machining marks on the titanium).

Mike

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys. Curious to see how this poll ends up..

gunga

Flashaholic
Hi Rich. I was going to PM you but you seem to have a poll going anyways. Keep the Ti, not the +. The clip bolt spacing on the + doesn't fit anything else and the clip is weak. Finishing is better on the older version. The older version has more throw etc. If you really want XML2, I have spare XML reflectors and isolating discs and can swap for you if you like. I find the broad spot useful, but yes, you lose throw and outside reach. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same light. Don't change lights for the (lousy) stock clip. Get you light drilled and tapped for any good aftermarket clip.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
I've owned the V10R Ti+ for about a year now.. I stopped using it about 2 months ago because the control ring is unserviceable..

Just an FYI, I think, the control ring all of the VR series of lights is a very poor, cheap design. There are no spring detents, there are no rubber seals, basically the ring's friction is controlled solely by heavy-duty grease. After about 10 months of normal use (maybe once/day) the grease has worn/migrated out/evaporated leaving absolutely no friction, the ring just moves about freely.. Since Sunwayman decided to use some very unfriendly lock-tight on the threads I can't even get the thing apart without creating some special jig to hold it, while heating it (possibly discoloring the Ti in the process) and possibly damaging the LED, to get it apart, only to find out that no one yet (AFAIK) has found a suitable replacement grease.

Never again. $200 for a light that lasts less than a year - no way... Very poor, cheap design for such an expensive light.

I didn't vote for either because of this issue.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Sorry to hear about your experience. I agree that they are terribly tough to get opened, but many here have cracked them. Your best bet for a replacement grease is 1500 helical grease. Amazing feel to the control ring.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rich. I was going to PM you but you seem to have a poll going anyways. Keep the Ti, not the +. The clip bolt spacing on the + doesn't fit anything else and the clip is weak. Finishing is better on the older version. The older version has more throw etc. If you really want XML2, I have spare XML reflectors and isolating discs and can swap for you if you like. I find the broad spot useful, but yes, you lose throw and outside reach. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same light. Don't change lights for the (lousy) stock clip. Get you light drilled and tapped for any good aftermarket clip.

Thanks so much gunga. Based on that I am definitely going to stick with the older version so I can throw on a McGizmo clip (best clip ever IMO). I was actually thinking that a Nichia 219B would be nice in this. Is that something you would be able to do?

Dan FO

Enlightened
The second run of the V10r Ti was the most reliable, I have had zero issues with mine. They fixed the issues the first run had.