Should I Play the Zebralight Tint Lottery Again?

holygeez03

Enlightened
I have a very early model of the SC52w that has the infamous green tint... I wouldn't consider the tint too bad if I weren't comparing it directly to my old SC51w that had a very nice yellow tint... I now have the H52Fw that I often use alongside the SC52w and the H52Fw has a much more rosy red/purple tint... I actually prefer a more yellow/orange tint than the the rosy H52Fw tint, but prefer either over the SC green.

I happened to find an in-stock "new" version of the SC52w in the winter (with the darker anodizing and more fins)... but the tint wasn't much, if any, better and I also didn't like the feel of the switch as much... so I kept my original and gifted the newer version.

Now that the SC52w's seem to be in-stock more regularly, is there any consensus on whether or not Zebralight is using a newer batch of emitters? I would LOVE to have a SC52w that matches up closer to my H52Fw...

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
my sc52w l2 has a rosy/purple tint. no green, no yellow. no orange.

i luv it.

sc52w l2 tint is lottery :huh:

markr6

Flashaholic
I have a very early model of the SC52w that has the infamous green tint... I wouldn't consider the tint too bad if I weren't comparing it directly to my old SC51w that had a very nice yellow tint... I now have the H52Fw that I often use alongside the SC52w and the H52Fw has a much more rosy red/purple tint... I actually prefer a more yellow/orange tint than the the rosy H52Fw tint, but prefer either over the SC green.

I happened to find an in-stock "new" version of the SC52w in the winter (with the darker anodizing and more fins)... but the tint wasn't much, if any, better and I also didn't like the feel of the switch as much... so I kept my original and gifted the newer version.

Now that the SC52w's seem to be in-stock more regularly, is there any consensus on whether or not Zebralight is using a newer batch of emitters? I would LOVE to have a SC52w that matches up closer to my H52Fw...

I reflect all of your thoughts, especially your wish for a SC52w that matches (my) H52w, which is perfect.

I'm still going to wait awhile longer and try again. It irritates me that some people say they have a Nichia 219-like tint on their SC52w after I personally tried about 10 different lights...all with greenish tint.

I still have my original SC52w with the olive/goldish anodizing since the newer, darker ones actually had a GREENER tint.

Now that I think of it, I'll probably just get a SC62w instead. But I'm not avoiding the lotto there so we'll see how lucky I am.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a SC52w-L2 this week. I'll let you know if I win or lose when I get it (probably in about a week).

holygeez03

Enlightened
I ordered a SC52w-L2 this week. I'll let you know if I win or lose when I get it (probably in about a week).

Cool... do you have any other Zebralights to compare with? Obviously, describing a tint is always subjective and even pictures are not perfect due to camera white balance and different monitor displays... but definitely let us know what you see.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Now that I think of it, I'll probably just get a SC62w instead. But I'm not avoiding the lotto there so we'll see how lucky I am.

I will also likely get the SC62w when it's out... it will be interesting to see what the beam is like in both shape and tint. Since it is being driven much more powerfully, that should help with the perceived tint shifts.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... do you have any other Zebralights to compare with? Obviously, describing a tint is always subjective and even pictures are not perfect due to camera white balance and different monitor displays... but definitely let us know what you see.

The only other Zebralight I have is a regular cool-white SC52. It has a green corona. It's only noticeable on white-wall testing, so it doesn't bother me. I'm hoping the SC52w-L2 I ordered will be the same... or better!

I'd rather have a bit of green than a high CCT cool white. Some of the lights I have (most of the older ones and all of the cheap ones) are way too blue for my liking. The cool white XMLs and XPGs are better than the older LEDs generations, but still a little cooler than I prefer. My preference is something towards warm white, but I'm okay with neutral white.

wjv

Enlightened
I had a Zebra light and returned it because of the tint.

The tint aspect stops me from buying any more zebra lights and makes me shy away from OLights also.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just returned my SC62w to Zebralight. Too bad; it's basically "the perfect torch". I think it's nearly impossible to argue, but of course we all have different opinions!

I will definitely be playing the lotto after another "batch". It's just a guess and a shot in the dark, but I think it's worth a try in another month or so. I'm going after that near-Nichia 219 tint I got on my SC52w. Amazing!

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can make the move into the higher cost lines of flashlights, such as the limited productions or customs like McGizmo or Oveready or Malkoff, the maker has the latitude to pick the better tint quality LEDs. This most often gives the better tint results.
It also costs more. And of course there are other perks that come along with it, such as much higher quality overall.

Playing in the low cost light market will always yield this kind of "lottery" because they buy reels of LEDs at low cost, and they use them all. You get whatever you get.
Yes, I realize that many Chinese lights cost a small fortune now, but that doesn't seem to help things out, does it?

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL does need to tighten up on their QC. I believe Cree needs to as well.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just returned my SC62w to Zebralight. Too bad; it's basically "the perfect torch". I think it's nearly impossible to argue, but of course we all have different opinions!

I will definitely be playing the lotto after another "batch". It's just a guess and a shot in the dark, but I think it's worth a try in another month or so. I'm going after that near-Nichia 219 tint I got on my SC52w. Amazing!

I gotta ask.... how many ZLs have you returned to ZL, and to dealers?

If you can make the move into the higher cost lines of flashlights, such as the limited productions or customs like McGizmo or Oveready or Malkoff, the maker has the latitude to pick the better tint quality LEDs. This most often gives the better tint results.
It also costs more. And of course there are other perks that come along with it, such as much higher quality overall.

Playing in the low cost light market will always yield this kind of "lottery" because they buy reels of LEDs at low cost, and they use them all. You get whatever you get.
Yes, I realize that many Chinese lights cost a small fortune now, but that doesn't seem to help things out, does it?

Lot of truth to this - I have 2 Malkoff MDC AAs CW XPG2 and the tints are quite different, but both very pleasant... Gene did mention it costs more to get the LEDs to his spec. That said, I'm much more of battery and low-lumen output/mode spacing/beam profile snob, than I am a tint snob, so I'm kind of stuck with Asian lights, despite wanting to add more quality US-made lights to my collection.

markr6

Flashaholic
I gotta ask.... how many ZLs have you returned to ZL, and to dealers?

Not sure if this is a smartass question or genuine, but I'll play along.

1. I was going to return an SC52w to Illumination Supply when the tint was very green. But it was stolen out of my Jeep before they got back to me with an RMA!! I believe many others returned as well. At that time, IS was generous enough to do this, AND even check tints before sending future orders out. But since this can be a subjective thing, they stopped doing that. I don't blame them.

2. I returned an SC52w to Zebralight since it was also VERY green.

3. I purchased two SC600wII L2 from ZL and kept the one I like the most. I sold the other to a CPF member and he was satisfied with the tint.

4. The SC62w I just put in the mail today

So, TWO returns out of the 7 Zebralights I currently own. I think this is acceptable since I am following all returns/exchanges rules provided by the manufacturer/vendor. I am also returning an item in a like-new condition. If the manufacturer has a problem with this, stop accepting returns with a broken seal. If anyone else has a problem with this, stop buying from those manufacturers, ask for a new unit and hope they are honest, or hate that company for selling "used" items and complain until no end.

Do I personally want a "like new" item? Of course not. But technically, the 7 Zebralights I have could be used. Who knows. I don't care; they are fantastic lights that have served me well.

I recently just returned a pair of pants that just didn't fit the same as 4 other exact same pairs for some reason. I only wore them for 2 minutes. But who says I didn't wear those for 3 days straight and sweat in them like a dirty slob? Well, to tell you the truth, I didn't. They had the tags on them, I had the receipt, and they were "like new", so decide if that's right or wrong.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Can't win if you don't play.

I'm waiting to see the tint of my incoming SC62w... if it is really nice like my H52w, I may have to take a chance on a newer version of the SC52w so they are all similar (hopefully)... although I actually prefer the switch, anodizing, fin design, and UI of my early-run SC52w... the newer "3 clicks to strobe" REALLY makes me want to throw my H52w through a window when I click to high, and then double click to change the mode... that counts as three clicks!!!

markr6

Flashaholic
the newer "3 clicks to strobe" REALLY makes me want to throw my H52w through a window when I click to high, and then double click to change the mode... that counts as three clicks!!!

LOL! Yeah, every time I turn a flashlight on now, I automatically pause for a few seconds by habit. But on the older versions, wouldn't the same thing happen...but instead of strobe, take you to low? I don't remember that, but I'll have to try it on my H51w.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of being redundant, I'll mention an option other than returning your lights because of bad tint. Those who know me, know that I'm VERY concerned with tint. I was a professional color printer for years and any hint of green or cyan tends to make my skin crawl.

When I got my first ZL, the original SC600 (version 1), I was horrified by the tint of the cool white XM-L. It was yellow in the center with a purplish outer ring :eek:, arrrrghhh. BUT, I loved everything else about the light, how it felt in my hand, the fantastic UI, and that wonderful electronic side switch. I remembered reading somewhere on CPF about a guy who used filters on his lights to change the tints, so I found that thread, ordered some filters, and immediately found that I could change the tint on my new SC600 to not only acceptable, but very close to ideal.

Since then, I went back to all my old lights and filtered them, and have done so with every new light I get. It does cause a tiny bit of output loss, but with today's high powered lights, I've found it's not that big a deal, especially compared with the satisfaction I get when using lights that I've custom tinted.

It usually takes me about a week to find the right filter for a light, playing with the various tints, leaving one on for a few days, then taking it off and trying another, but to be honest, for me, it's part of the fun. I cut the filters to size and use a small piece of clear double sided Scotch tape to adhere the filter to the glass cover. For lights that have a bezel that unscrews it's even easier, just place the filter on the inside of the glass cover.

It's cheap, it's easy, and it's completely reversible, and I've never found a light that I couldn't use a filter on to get it close to where I wanted it.

In any case, here is a link to a place where you can buy these filters:
http://www.stagelightingstore.com/Stage-Lighting-Store/Swatch-Books

I used to use a place called LEE FILTERS, but they don't seem to sell the swatch books anymore, so Rosco seems to be the place now. I'm not sure which of those swatch books to order, but at those prices you might try several. It looks to me like the "Roscolux" and the "E Colour" swatch books might be the way to go. When I ordered the LEE swatch books I got 2-3 at a time to save on shipping. Each swatch book contains literally hundreds of 3"x 1 1/2" swatches, and each swatch is generally good for 2-3 lights, but you'll see that most of the swatches won't be used, and you'll probably end up using the same filter for most of your lights, so having several swatch books makes sense so that you can use that same swatch from each book.

I use mostly the 1/8 minus green, or 1/4 minus green swatches (which look magenta). These typically get rid of that green/yellow tint. For a warm light that is too warm, I've used a Lavender filter, which cools it off bit.

By the way, a bonus that you get with these swatch books is that they usually have quite a few swatches of diffusion material, from light to heavy...... giving you lots of choices for changing the actual beam of light if you like, and they work great!

Just so you understand, I'm not trying to excuse manufacturers from their responsibility for giving us LEDs with better tints. I would love to receive a light with the "perfect" tint, which for me would be a light without any tint at all, just pure white light. However, I've finally come to the conclusion that my chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Luckily, I've found peace and contentment by using this easy and inexpensive alternative. Have fun :).

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, that is kind of silly. I take no responsibility for shipping rates. I'd either look for a theatrical lighting supply, or photographic lighting supply house in Canada, maybe even a photography shop. I think B&H photo may carry these as well. At the least, I'd send the Stagelightingstore an e-mail and ask if this is a mistake. It will be worth the cost of an e-mail stamp :naughty:.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, TWO returns out of the 7 Zebralights I currently own...

That's not bad at all... Just thought you might have mentioned more in the past. For certain things, like mail order clothing (where not available in B&M stores), I've been known to have a 50% return rate - as in buy two a size apart, and then return one :).