Has anyone else have problems with SBFlashlights.co (L10) ???

donaudi

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie and just started purchasing flashlights for my new found hobby and already running into problems. I've been reading up in this forum and with the help of the reviews and various posts I've purchased a Thrunite TN12 2014 which is awesome and I highly recommend it. The problem is with the L10.

I purchased the L10 (which is a awesome light) from SBFlashlights. I got a white model with the Nichia. The led was a little off center and the pocket clip has to be purchased separately both of which does not bother me.

I received the L10 and proceeded to install the pocket clip which ended up scratching and chipping the white off. The clip once installed does not stay on and just slides off.

If this light was for me I wouldent care but this was purchased for my wife as a present for graduating nursing school and for use at a hospital or doctors office if she gets a job as one. This really bumed me out.

I contacted SBF to ask them what was going on. After waiting a while for them to reply he said that the white is only a paint and that the pocket clip does not work with the white and it will also chip. He said that there was a warning on the page but they took it down. They then told me that I would be able to exchange it but they would charge me for shipping and a restocking fee.

What I don't get is why the warning was not kept on the site and then shaddly put back on after I emailed them. Also, why would they even sell the light with the pocket clip if it doesn't even work on that colour. Why would they not include a little slip of paper with the white lights stateing this. Why am I penalized for there mess up. So I emailed them back saying that this was unfair but have not been replied to since.

Like I said earlier if this was for me I wouldent care but this is for my wife and now I'm irate. I don't know what to do. Do you guys have any advise? What would be fair? I can include emails if needed but I figure this is enough.

I'm very discouraged from this experience.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear your disappointment and dissatisfaction, but count yourself fortunate that the light is at least performing it's intended primary function of providing illumination. As you head further down the path of flashaholism, you may find (as I have) that every single light has its issues, and/or limitations... and it really doesn't matter how much you spend. Unfortunately, the internet-based flashlight market is buyer beware but you can usually discover most of the issues through research here on CPF (I've seen a number comments about the white paint chipping).

That said, the L10 is quite cheap for what it is and great intro to the N219 and HCRI, and you get what you pay for, of course. Those press-on clips are always at risk of sliding off the end without dedicated grooves or flanges to hold them in place, although I suspect your painted white version is slicker than the anodized versions. Perhaps a droplet or two of epoxy or JB weld could act as stoppers for the clip, and white nail polish can cover the chips.

As for your wife, you could consider a similar sized/beamed D25A Ti N219 at ~3x the cost, but it too has issues (eg, clip easily bent/stripped, and poor moonlight regulation below 1.5v).

donaudi

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the quick reply. I do agree with you on everything you said. Unfortunately I did not come across any paint chipping and inability to use the pocket clip posts when I was researching the L10. I think if the manufacter (I recall something about SBF being the manu. or distrub of this light) or seller would have made this apparent I would have gone another route.

I would not mind making modifications to the light to make it work, but I was hoping they would make it right. I maybe wrong but if they had a warning up on the product page but took it down for matainence (during which time I purchased the light) and put it back on after I contacted them I see this as decietful. Also they have a drop down to add a pocket cip with the light which makes no since if it doesn't even work with it (again kinda wierd). What I think would be fair is a discount on the light purchase or a exchange for a color that would work with the clip. The fact that they are not replying back makes me wonder.

I don't know if you have a wife or a girlfriend but I personally would not accept a glued on and nail polished jacked light for her. I want her to have the best that I can provide. To me its about the principal and not the cost.

Thanks again for your input. If anyone has other flashlight recommendations I'm willing to listen. She needs something small with common batteries with a pocket clip with nichia with a ultra low mode for inspecting pupils . Also any advise for dealing with SBF would be great. I guess this post can serve to warn others about the clip.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. The white is paint and the other colors are anodized. There are several posts about this and I'm sorry you didn't see them. But all anodized lights chip and the finish wears off with use. The first chip, ding or dent hurts the most. After that, just use it without worrying. I know it is a little different with a gift. Enjoy the Nichia 219 hi cri and the efficiency of the L10 - it is a good value light.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again for your input. If anyone has other flashlight recommendations I'm willing to listen. She needs something small with common batteries with a pocket clip with nichia with a ultra low mode for inspecting pupils . Also any advise for dealing with SBF would be great. I guess this post can serve to warn others about the clip.

Were you using the three mode or four mode L10? because my four mode firefly is so low as to be nearly useless except for a middle of the night bathroom trip (I get the same measurement as Selfbuilt - 0.02 lms), and I collect sub-lumen lights. Any issues with the D25A N219? mine will do 0.5 lms > 1.5V (fresh Alk, L91), or 0.15 lms (<1.4V NiMh) on moonlight - I think the 0.5 lms works well on eyes, and there's a 3 lm low after that. You might be able get them with aluminum body version for ~$50.

donaudi

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good and I'll look into it. I actually thought the moonlight mode is perfect as too much lumens will be too bright for eyes. Of course its the 4 mode version.

donaudi

Newly Enlightened
I will try and contact SBF on Monday again. In the meantime I think I'll order the D25a as recommenced. GG has the Ti and standard one. Is there any other differences other than the material? Would be be better to get the special edition one? Is there any better options that you can think of for her needs? Thanks

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try and contact SBF on Monday again. In the meantime I think I'll order the D25a as recommenced. GG has the Ti and standard one. Is there any other differences other than the material? Would be be better to get the special edition one? Is there any better options that you can think of for her needs? Thanks

Since we're not acknowledging that sb's warning was removed from the white L10's description, just putting the onus you to have found posts about the issue yourself, with the D25a Ti 219 I feel the need to make you aware of a review on another site. Include the word "botch" among your search terms.

Not trying to sway you either way, just have been researching these lights for myself recently, L10 vs. D25 vs. T10 vs. E12 etc. and their reviews & issues are fresh on my mind. GL.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ haha.. Just finished commenting on that one. Aside from a case of extreme sample variation, IMHO, the OP simply used a bad starting point ;).

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ haha.. Just finished commenting on that one. Aside from a case of extreme sample variation, IMHO, the OP simply used a bad starting point ;).

Now why did he do that, he should have started with a good one.

:mad:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now why did he do that, he should have started with a good one.

:mad:

It's a she ;)... and it's still unresolved. If she follows up on my request of matching pix, it will determine if she truly has found a bad sample, or just chose a bad base measurement light :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, based on her L10 comparison, and previous comparisons I've had with her - I now have to concur with her - extreme sample variation.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah, based on her L10 comparison, and previous comparisons I've had with her - I now have to concur with her - extreme sample variation.

Ok good. At first those reports had me concerned about this model, the blue ring in the beam & less than advertised cri, lumen level discrepancies, and that nasty looking knurling etc, but if it's that unlikely ET would ever ship out another one that bad you should be good to go on the Ti 219 donaudi. Worst case, in case lightning does strike twice, it shouldn't be a problem to send it back & get another one.

Thanks for setting that review straight for us reppans.