Anyone disassembled a commercial cycle tail light ?

LEDPowered

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning to build a cycle tail light and and curious about what is the circuit used in commercially available cycle tail lights. If any of you have disassembled a tail light bought from the market to see how it works could you kindly post the circuit. The problem I am essentially facing is that the Vf of red LEDs at 1.9-2.1 V does not allow the use of any batteries without wasting a lot of power. I would like to increase efficiency while keeping things simple and cheap. Thanks a lot.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
high efficiency may not be compatible with "simple and cheap". :)

what is the desired power source?

find_bruce

Newly Enlightened
To highlight Steve's point with some examples of simple and cheap circuits, with efficiency depending on the power source. Each of them use pretty much the same parts - the leds are red Cree XP-E (US$2.01), the driver is a simple linear driver with a constant current of 700 mA (US$1.49).

Version 1 is simple & cheap - 1 li-ion battery, linear driver, led. Not very efficient though as at full charge, the driver has to burn off (4.2-2.3) x 700 mA = 1.33W and efficiency is going to be ~55%. Even when almost discharged, the driver has to burn off (3.0-2.3) x 700 mA = 0.49W and efficiency is going to be ~77%. Run time is over 4.5 hours

Version 2 is same led, same driver, but 2 x AA NiMh. Efficiency is greater, the driver has to burn off (2.4-2.3) x 700 mA = 0.49W, ~96%. Note I haven't personally built this circuit & 2.4v is lower than the spec for the 7135 regulator but IIRC it reported to work.

Version 3 uses 3 leds, a similar driver with 350 mA and 2 li-ion batteries in series. At full charge the driver has to burn off (4.2-2.2) x 350 mA = 0.63W, efficiency ~79%. 8.4v is too high for the driver (max 6V). An lflex would be a much better linear driver to use, but at US $25 , it isn't cheap. Instead my light uses a simple trick to get around this. 2 leds drop the voltage to be within spec, while the linear driver means it is still a constant current. The only downside is that the light output will start to drop at ~6.6V.
881858d1396397521-bright-red-rear-light-8-4v-red-poormans-circuit.png