Best pure flood light?

Rifter

Enlightened
Ive been away for a while, i just purchased a Xsearchervn so saying i have the thower covered would be a understatement :)

Im now looking for a updated flood light, it seems im one of the few people who like the pure flood light from a Innova X5 with zero hotspot and all flood, what im looking for here is just an updated light similar in size and durability to the X5 but with more light output and more run time, regulated would be great. Multimode would be great but not like 15 modes like some lights and strobes are useless, either single mode or just L/M/H would be preferred.

Thanks guys.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
ma2y3aby.jpg

Top left = x60mvn - tk75vnkt - k40mvn - mx25l3vn

Top right= s200cvn - d40avn - v25cvn - V11Rvn

Middle = mm15vn

Bottom left= D25cvn - tcr10vn - Tcr2vn

Bottom right = hc90vn - sd6vn

Just showing spill. Brightness levels were adjusted for the picture.

The mm15vn is in a class of its own.
The dome on version has 7200lm over the stock 5500lm or so. Domes off like mine has 6500lm and has a 90% increase in beam intensity all according to selfbuilts tests.

This thing is the definition of flood. And is the size if a soda can.......... Ridiculous lol.

Rifter

Enlightened
Maybe i should have specified, by more output than a x5 i meant like 200-500% more, not 3000% more lol. some of those lights are insane. But now owning my first vn light i would not hesitate to purchase one of his lights again.

I would like something in the 100-200 lumen range pure flood. 4 hours run time or more. Straight body 2xCR123 sized or even better single 18650.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I see.
Well the most flood I have in that department is a convoy m1 with mtg2. Textured reflector, big lumens , but it gets hot very quickly.

A V25c has some decent flood. Infinitely variable, great quality.
I'm not familiar with the innova x5, so I won't be much help then.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe i should have specified, by more output than a x5 i meant like 200-500% more, not 3000% more lol. some of those lights are insane. But now owning my first vn light i would not hesitate to purchase one of his lights again.

I would like something in the 100-200 lumen range pure flood. 4 hours run time or more. Straight body 2xCR123 sized or even better single 18650.

Haha. Sorry about that :)

V25c might be something to look at.

V25cvn if you want the most power possible.

Rifter

Enlightened
I'm not familiar with the innova x5, so I won't be much help then.

Probably because its 15 years old, think straight body 2xCR123 direct driving with small resistor 5 5mm LED's, perfect for working around camp at night IMO cause its all flood and lights up a large area infront of you but most people dislike its total and utter lack of any throw while i think it serves its intended purpose well. Its just outdated now and i was hoping to find a modern update of the same type of light. Im also going to buy a intermediate range light to fill the gap between this flood light purchase and the insane throw of the Xsearchervn.

EDIT: Oh the X5 is also bullet proof i would like something with its durability if possible, i've ran my X5 over on rocks with my 3/4ton truck multiple times over the years, still works fine. I even hit it with a baseball bat once to see if it could take it, it did, and that was 12 years ago and it still works lol.

Last edited:

Rifter

Enlightened
Holy cow! Sounds like a tank.

You have no idea.... I own three of them a first gen and 2 second gen units. After the purchase of the 2 2nd gen units i really was trying to destroy the first gen just to see what it could take, and i gave up lol. It survived getting run over multiple times, hit with a bat(over a hundred feet!) i even used it as a splitting wedge a few times on the camping trip where i broke my two plastic splitting wedges.... the list of abusive things goes on but the light still lives to this day.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had knives I tried similar tests with.

Lol the things we are so gentle with end up getting broken, but the things we try to break...... Nothing!

Looks like I may need to grab one.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebra light and Spark make several different mules, they are all headlamps but can be carried like a regular light and most come with clips or can be added. Mcgizmo makes a Ti mule in a couple of sizes but will set you back $400-$600. Several P60 drop in mules can be bought and added to a Surefire style host, Vinh, Nailbender, Oveready...

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For pure flood, you need a mule head ( no reflector or optic), Oveready has a Peak Logan mule that would work for you, infinitely variable with the QTC, and way brighter than the venerable X5. If you use lithium ion rechargeables, it should approach 300 lumens.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, sounds like you'd be happy with either a Peak Mule ... or (budget permitting) a McGizmo Mule :)

The McGizmo AquaMule and TerraMule for sure deserve a look :thumbsup:

Last edited:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, sounds like you'd be happy with either a Peak Mule ... or (budget permitting) a McGizmo Mule :)

The McGizmo AquaMule and TerraMule for sure deserve a look :thumbsup:

Forgot about the TerraMule option. Love my Mcgizmos, have a nichia 119 mule 123 McClicky pak version. I try to stay out of that forum too much temptation.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Probably because its 15 years old, think straight body 2xCR123 direct driving five 5mm LED's, perfect for working around camp at night IMO cause its all flood and lights up a large area infront of you but most people dislike its total and utter lack of any throw while i think it serves its intended purpose well.

I looked up the inova X5. It offers 31 lumens high, and 6 low. It reminds me of those dollar store 9 led lights.

You might try a convoy S2 @ about $14
It's a single 18650, similar in size to the X5. It has an XML emitter in a relatively small reflector. It can be had, driven at different ma, with three output settings, so you can order it with different max output levels. I got mine at 1400ma. If you want a lower low, and less of a max, you might get it driven at 1 amp.

----------------------------------------------------
Convoy S2 Cree XM-L U2-1B 1400ma 2-Group 3/5-Mode EDC LED Flashlight Cool white tint
Convoy S2 Cree XM-L T5-5C 2-Group 3/5-Mode EDC LED Flashlight For a more warm/neutral tint

To switch mode group: switch to low mode and wait for 5 seconds.
As soon as you notice a quick blink, half press the power switch
and mode group is then toggled.

Group 1 (5-Mode): Lo (5%) > Mid (40%) > Hi (100%) > Strobe > SOS;
Group 2 (3-Mode): Lo (5%) > Mid (40%) > Hi (100%)

From a 3400 mAh battery one might expect:

low: 30-35 lumen: 40 hours.
mid: 150-200 lumen: 6 hours.
max: 400-450 lumen: 2.5 hours

piojo

Newly Enlightened
@Tmack, nice beam shots, but if you want to see what "pure flood" is, check out the attached shot. No hotspot, and extremely uniform brightness.

This is an excellent light for illuminating an area--working outdoors at night, camping, etc. In fact, now that I've used this light, I don't want to use any other type. Power outage? Yep. Hiking? Yep. Easy mood lighting when making love? Yep. (It also zooms if you pull the head forward.) It's not water proof, but it only got condensation inside the head when I left it on in a rain storm for a day. I can tell the build quality isn't as good as my Fenix, so I'm actually investigating whether I can get the exact same light, but manufactured by a company that pays more attention to the details. (For another example, when you turn it on, it will usually start in high mode, and it might start in low or strobe. It's finnicky.

Mine is unbranded, but it's the same as this Ultrafire (down to the last detail, so I'm sure it's the same torch).

(Note: I can't seem to add an attachment? Anyway, the photo on the product page I linked seems reasonably accurate. There is literally no hot spot.)

Note2: If anyone can recommend another decent quality 18650+flood light, I'd love to hear about it.