Nitecore SRT7 Revenger, is it worth it?

eljayem1

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I currently own and use a Klarus XT11, but am being drawn to a nice new Nitecore SRT7, with it's sexy variable output and coloured LEDs.

Is it worth the money and is the increase in output noticeably more?

The Klarus is a great torch to use around the house or car, but I would like something brighter for the woods. I also like the fact that you can set what brightness the torch switches on at.

The problem is £100 is a lot of cash. So, is it worth it?

BrightLignt

Newly Enlightened
I would not pay 100 quid for SRT7. I paid less than half that here in USA. The variable output and colored LEDs are very nice indeed, but you should be aware that the head is much heavier and the light will not have the same balance or ease of portability when compared to something like the Klarus XT11.

Taz80

Enlightened
It depends on what your using it for. I mostly use mine for walking on the road. You can go from 0 to max with one hand quickly to let a car know your there or keep it low to see whats on the side without blinding yourself. Its also easy to find the ring with gloves on. For the woods I prefer a more neutral floody light. I don't find the colored leds very useful, they are not very bright and artifact ridden.

Jdubs

Newly Enlightened
For the reasons you cited, I think you would enjoy the Nitecore. You will definitely notice the increased output and throw of the SRT7 in the woods. The adjustment ring is just awesome for getting the perfect amount of light - both during and before you turn on the light. I paid $70 for the SRT7, which is less than what I paid for the XT11 when it first came out.

I love both lights for their respective qualities. I have the XT11 loaded with 18350 IMR cells, putting out quite a bit more than the 600 lumens (XML U2) it is rated at. Even with the extra lumens, the XT11 does not throw nearly as far as the SRT7, but the beam profile (and tint) is superior for the distance that it does light up. I also like the simple two button UI.

I like the SRT7 for the variable output and decent throwing ability. However, I wish it did not have the colored LED's, because part of me thinks the beam could be just a little bit better if the pockets for the small LED's were not there taking up valuable reflector space. I also feel that the colored LEDs are gimmicky because they are not very bright, and with poor beam quality to boot. All three of the SRT7's I have purchased have very cool tints, which I don't particularly care for. My XT11 has a much nicer (warmer) tint. I could have gotten the SRT5 for the variable output (& no colored LEDs), but it would not have the throw of the 7.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I currently own and use a Klarus XT11, but am being drawn to a nice new Nitecore SRT7, with it's sexy variable output and coloured LEDs.

Is it worth the money and is the increase in output noticeably more?

The Klarus is a great torch to use around the house or car, but I would like something brighter for the woods. I also like the fact that you can set what brightness the torch switches on at.

The problem is £100 is a lot of cash. So, is it worth it?

from selfbuilt: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...x18650-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIME-BEAMSHOTS

RS11-XT11-FL1-Summary1.gif

710 versus 790. no difference at all. but of course XT11 is orange peel...

magnetic ring is ok, but color LEDs are garbage, very weak with a dirty swirly beam

just keep your XT11 and get the Foursevens Maelstrom MMU-X3 1600 lumens. now that's a big step up in brightness at about the same price as the SRT7

Last edited:

Bigpal

Enlightened
If you will utilize the colored LEDs, check to see what kind they are. I can't recall off hand, but if they're 5mm LEDs, they probably won't be useful at all. There are other white lights that have XP-E colored LEDs. I'd go that route.

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened
Just an aside for water resistance of the SRT7...
I own 2, and have been diving with them to 120ft below sea level. They remained completely dry and fully functional at that depth, utilizing the ring adjustment. This includes full brightness control, and the colored LED's. I think this says a lot for the integrity of the light. While the colored LED's are not overly bright, they are certainly bright enough for lighting your path while walking at night, or reading maps, where you are trying to preserve your night vision. I use them effectively quite often.

Bigpal

Enlightened
I own 2, and have been diving with them to 120ft below sea level. They remained completely dry and fully functional at that depth, utilizing the ring adjustment. This includes full brightness control, and the colored LED's. I think this says a lot for the integrity of the light. While the colored LED's are not overly bright, they are certainly bright enough for lighting your path while walking at night, or reading maps, where you are trying to preserve your night vision. I use them effectively quite often.

The colored LEDs are better than the F40A then, red in particular. The red will not let you navigate a dark path. It will light up your shoes and that's about it. The blue is a little better and just enough to walk by. So the SRT may be worth it.

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened
The blue and the green are the brightest on the SRT7, with the red being very usable, but appearing dimmer than the other 2. It may be the visible wavelength of all 3 in comparison as well.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all ate at the same output, the red is furthest from the mist visible part of the spectrum. Then blue, then green being the most visible to the human eye.

We perceive around the mid 500's the best (green) , the blue would be in the high 400's, and the red in the mid to high 600's

Boogvalk

Newly Enlightened
The SRT7 might be my favorite light. I use most, but not all, of its features. Better to have them and not need them then the other way around. The adjustment ring has a little play in it but functions great. I mostly use the colored lights indoors at night so as not to disturb the sleeping wife. Quality seems high - time will tell.

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened
If all ate at the same output, the red is furthest from the mist visible part of the spectrum. Then blue, then green being the most visible to the human eye.

We perceive around the mid 500's the best (green) , the blue would be in the high 400's, and the red in the mid to high 600's
That is the same order of perceived brightness of these 3 LEDs to me, starting with ...Green -> Blue -> Red (perceived dimmest)

ACruceSalus

Enlightened

I'm not going to take mine diving but plan on using it in a pool so this is good news. Did you see this website that claims 40m dive depth?

I've also found the colored LEDs somewhat useful when I water our potted plants at night. Other than that they are more of a nice to have them there if I eventually need them thing.

pharmbob

Newly Enlightened
I'm not going to take mine diving but plan on using it in a pool so this is good news. Did you see this website that claims 40m dive depth?

I've also found the colored LEDs somewhat useful when I water our potted plants at night. Other than that they are more of a nice to have them there if I eventually need them thing.

Yes, I saw that video and site. That is what gave me the courage to take these lights diving with me :devil:

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
Can't you buy SRT-7 off eBay for like $70? The main reason I got it, were colored LEDs and over 20000kcd throw. It's on a nightstand duty. Fenix has just released a similar light that is worth checking out.

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
Can't you buy SRT-7 off eBay for like $70? The main reason I got it, were colored LEDs and over 20000kcd throw. It's on a nightstand duty. Fenix has just released a similar light that is worth checking out.

According to Nitecore it has 23,256cd. I can't confirm this but it's enough for most of what I use it for.

eljayem1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input, and keep the posts coming.

I always try to buy things that are tough... Ok, I'll admit I'm a little clumsy.

I do look for a torch that can take a knock or two, and can stand heavy rain and the odd river crossing.

In general I think this torch gets a big thumbs up. I must admit I don't do any diving, but it's good to know if I needed to then I could use the SRT7.

From experience I know the XT11 can take a pretty good knock. Has anyone dropped the SRT7 from a great height?

The coloured LEDs would only be used occasionally for map reading and walking around a camp at night without waking everyone up. So a don't need bright LEDs.

the more I hear the more I like this torch... I really, really want one!

Can anyone tell me where I can get a GENUINE Nitecore at a reasonable price. I'm in the UK, but have a friend who visits America regulary and could arrange to buy one there or get it posted there.

Thanks

ACruceSalus

Enlightened
My SRT7 has been dropped a few times from less than 2 feet which deformed the edge of one of the lanyard holes on the tail cap so that it no longer tail stands. Even when it is new tail standing can be done but it's unstable. I've been using the cigar ring that comes with it as a short term solution until I either order a new tail cap or find a different solution. If you haven't seen selfbuilt's review on this light then you may want to have a look. Other than that I've been generally happy with it.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do look for a torch that can take a knock or two, and can stand heavy rain and the odd river crossing.

as complexity goes up, reliability goes down. but i guess you already know that by now

SRT7 has a magnetic ring w/ lots of detents. color LEDs. a side window for indicator LED. so yes it isn't a simple light

and it also isn't built any differently from other IPX8-rated flashlights. the same SINGLE O-RINGS as on other lights. so it isn't any more waterproof than other similar lights