Should Strobe Be Eliminated From Most Lights?

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Should Strobe be eliminated from all except tactical lights aimed at security and police personnel? Personally I have never had a use for it and would rather see it replaced with another output level if the light does not include at least 4 light levels as delivered. If not eliminated completely then it should be a hidden mode that can be avoided completely in normal operation, directly accessed with a secondary switch or something similar.

Certainly IMO not needed on smaller EDC lights or the big guns that are not normally carried for other than S&R or other long range and high power uses. I suspect that the SOS function is even less used than the strobe by most people.

Any one heard of the strobe on a LED light causing a Epileptic seizure?

radiopej

Enlightened
I like the option when hidden. I think Fenix does it really well kn2 the PD32 UE (holding down the side switch), though I'd like it accessible from off too. They also have a great alternating strobe frequency.

However, on my single switch lights (6P with dropin), I hate it. It pops uo randomly and ruins it.

EagleTac does it interestingly, with 2 groups of modes, one of which is just high and strobe.

So I like it when it's out of my way. :)

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people use strobe to signal or get another person's attention. I don't care for strobe, but I don't think it should be eliminated.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should really be reserved for Tactical use lights.
Putting it in regular cycle rotation for consumer lights is just frustrating. Should at least be hidden in the secondary modes.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
You can have it from all of mine. I can see the need in a few tactical models but for working lights, No Need! I would much rather have another level. I am an outdoorsman so I have used a slow beacon mode a couple of times. But not enough to make me buy a light for the feature.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like having a quick access strobe for roadside emergencies - IMHO, nothing gets the attention of drivers better than a strobe. I had a friend that was struck and killed while he was assisting another motorist at night - can't help but think a strobe might have made the difference.

kj2

Flashaholic
On small sized EDC light, strobe isn't necessary IMO. SOS is nice to have, but should be hidden.
I rather prefer to have a slow strobe or beacon on a small EDC light. 'Tactical' lights should have strobe and SOS.

bansuri

Enlightened
Here is a small sample of what has been discussed previously.
(edit: ugly formatted links removed. Here's a better version)

Directions for finding more of this content:
On the top right side of the page you'll see Advanced Search below the magnifying glass, click that, at the top of the page that comes up you'll see Search In Search Types, click the box next to Posts, to the right of that enter the word strobe in the text box, and then to the right of that switch Search Entire Posts to Search Titles Only. Click Search Now

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
No.

If it's hidden it's not a problem is it.

Its a problem if its needed quickly.

For those who don't WANT strobe, I strongly suggest avoiding lights with that feature. Or any other UI that is not in line with their preferences.

I like strobe for tactical purposes, but, w/o training, most have no clue what its for really anyway...so, it becomes more of a signalling/warning light feature for them.

If you will only use it to function as a beacon or warning light, etc, if hidden, it should be still easy ENOUGH for a person to FIND it under duress (The emergency situation that is now assumed to require a strobe to go on to help avoid imminent death/injury, facilitate rescue, etc)

For me, I avoid lights with UI's that don't work for me, and, in the case of coming on in high or strobe, etc...I avoid them for lights NOT needed to have that feature, and SEEK them in lights I expect to USE with that feature.

That means I might, in my pocket for example, have some with, and some without, that feature set, at the same time.

:D

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it must be there, i like how nitecore does it on some of theirs. Head tightened, single mode, nothing else. I don't care what else is on the other mode set. Put as many 3rd mediums & moonlight strobes over there as they want with head loosened. I'll never see them.

weez82

Enlightened
Most lights would be better served with a beacon mode. Get rid of strobe and put a one to two second beacon mode to replace it. That would get peoples attention and not annoy the heck out of you or anyone else.

N1XIO

Newly Enlightened
Check out the new AAx2 extreme from CountyComm. It does just what your asking for. It's why I got one, has strobe and 2 beacon modes that's turned on by turning the head 1/4 turn. The other modes are selected via a tail switch.

LedTed

Enlightened
I like having a quick access strobe for roadside emergencies - IMHO, nothing gets the attention of drivers better than a strobe. I had a friend that was struck and killed while he was assisting another motorist at night - can't help but think a strobe might have made the difference.

+1