Any Eagletac MX25L3c owners?

GearDog

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering the purchase of this model (XP-G2), but I have not found reviews by some of my regular sources like Going Gear or Selfbuilt. I found a couple of German reviews, but can't understand what they are saying. Even so, the beam comparisons with other high-out models popular are impressive.

http://eagletac.com/html/mx25l3c/index.html

Are there any owners out there who can comment on the reliability of this flashlight, and overall experience or impressions?

Thanks

GearDog

Newly Enlightened
0401Andreas on youtube compares the Eagletac MX25L3c (both XP-G2 and Nichia) to a few other popular models. I watch the MX25L3c video, pause it, then open another window and pause during the same beamshot for a different model. Although the videos were made during different seasons, the MX25L3c looks really good to me compared to other compact high output models like the TM26 and Eye40, and is less expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCblon890UCcZSoXC3A_0rIw

However, I don't want to get a light that is not reliable or has poor usability, which is why I opened the thread to try and reach MX25L3c owners.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nichia 219A version of MX25L3C. It has less lumen than the XP-G2 version but I like it very much so far. I also have the MX25L3 and SX25L3 with the MT-G2 option. You do need to clean the threads between the head and body of these flashlights more often compared to other ones.

It is great that you can switch modes up or down instead of cycling through the whole sequence before getting the mode you want.

The only problem I have so far was with the SX25L3. The threads was a little dirty from the machining when I first got the light. Because of that when I switch to high mode, the light would switch mode by itself to low or mid. After cleaning the threads and re-applying some silicone grease, it was good as new again and I had not have a problem since.

I am sure you will like it.

GearDog

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nichia 219A version of MX25L3C. It has less lumen than the XP-G2 version but I like it very much so far. I also have the MX25L3 and SX25L3 with the MT-G2 option. You do need to clean the threads between the head and body of these flashlights more often compared to other ones.

It is great that you can switch modes up or down instead of cycling through the whole sequence before getting the mode you want.

The only problem I have so far was with the SX25L3. The threads was a little dirty from the machining when I first got the light. Because of that when I switch to high mode, the light would switch mode by itself to low or mid. After cleaning the threads and re-applying some silicone grease, it was good as new again and I had not have a problem since.

I am sure you will like it.

Thanks for writing. Did you get the kit with the tail switch? If so, do you like and use it?

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
No, I did not get the kit for this light. In my opinion, it kind of defeat the purpose of having the side switch near the head.

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
I have the kit for my MX25L3, but I don't use it. I prefer the side clickie.

cistallus

Enlightened
Selfbuilt reviews the SX25L3 - I think it's the same body, just a larger head, on the MX25L3, so much of the review should still apply.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?366902

That review is about the MT-G2 version though, which is the one I have. I really like it; no problems so far but I haven't used it much yet.

I recommend the kit version - I love being able to use either the rear switch or side switch, so I can quickly turn it on in the dark (using rear switch) or hold it in the "normal consumer" underhand fashion and use the side switch.

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a mx25l3vn mtg2 and love it.

Although I use the side click more, the rear clicky is a great feature that I'd recommend. Just gives more options. What if one switch fails. At least your not totally sol.

The color caps I could take or leave.

eff

Enlightened
I'm considering the purchase of this model (XP-G2), but I have not found reviews by some of my regular sources like Going Gear or Selfbuilt. I found a couple of German reviews, but can't understand what they are saying. Even so, the beam comparisons with other high-out models popular are impressive.

http://eagletac.com/html/mx25l3c/index.html

Are there any owners out there who can comment on the reliability of this flashlight, and overall experience or impressions?

Thanks
I got the Mx25L3C nichia version, with the kit option.
As far as I can tell, it's a great light, that does a good job, considering the price you pay for it For the Nichia version you get 1800 lumen and 300+ meters of throw if I remember correctly. With the xpg2, you'll get more ( 2400+ lumen and 400+ meters of throw).
However I chose the nichia because, to my knowledge there aren't many HiCri lights that can deliver 1800 lumen on the market. Imho, having that big amount of hicri light is a big plus. That was really useful when I had to do a paint job in a room that was not really well lit, and had to check the different white tints, and if I had applied enough paint over the first layer. This was someting I could not do properly with lights with cooler tints.

Regarding the reliability, I ran the light on turbo regularly, sometimes for more than 20-30 minutes. The light got slightly hot, but not hotter than any other light on turbo mode. As for the toughness, considering its size, the light seems durable, and I think it can withstand small shocks/drops. However I wouldn't consider doing a drop test from the 2nd or 3rd floor of a building, like I would do with an HDS, if you see what I mean :D.

The kit that was shipped with the light, included a silver bezel, 1 diffuser, 4 color filters (red, blue, yellow, green), and a tailcap with a switch, similar to the side button.
If you buy the light with the kit option, you'll get a MX25L3C, with threads, just above the glass lens. You won't get this with the basic model. This is important as the silver bezel, the diffuser and the color filters need to be screwed on top of the light to be used. This implies that if you buy the basic light, you won't be able to do this, even if you manage to get your hands on the kit. The silver bezel is nice to have, as the light looks more classy with it :D. The diffuser is also nice if you need to have pure flood light. The filters are good too, but I had a bit of a difficulty to screw them on the head the first time (switching between filters is a bit of a pain). If you plan to use different color filters regularly, I suggest you do that with an other light than with the eagletac, as you may find this unnerving (ex it's more easily done with the Olight M22, as you can pop filters in and out really fast)..
The tailcap w/ switch can be handy if you need a quick access to the switch in the dark. You won't fumble with the light trying to find the button. However the mx25l3c is a bit big to be handled comfortably like a tactical light, unless you have big hands. The light can tailstand with both tailcaps.

The user interface is very similar to all the other eagletac models. All you need to do is twist the head.
You also have access to momentary modes, by maintaining the button pressed : From off, you have access to all the modes in momentary. And from all the modes you have access to turbo. For strobe you need to do a double click.
Note that you can get a visual reference of the mode you're on, even with the light switched off, by checking the position of the "Adj" label against the stops, the "MX25L3C" label, and the 2 recesses (Turbo : label "Adj" against the stop, left of the side switch; High : "Adj" under the left recess of the switch; Medium : label "Adj" under label "MX23L3C"; Low : label "Adj" under the right recess of the side switch).

Regarding the batteries, the light is supposed to run only with top button cells. However I succesfully ran it with AW 18650 flat tops. I also ran it with 17670 with no rattle at all.

Hope it helps. :)

Last edited:

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
I found the same issue with the filters. The threads on the filters could be better.

Lexus

Enlightened
Another MX25L3c owner here. :wave:

Got the Nichia 219 version. Colors do not look "washed out" but it has less lumens.
I didn't like the screw-on-diffuser and went with the Olight SR50 diffuser (same bezel diameter). It can be installed/removed within a second. I like walking around in the nature at night, the light of the Nichias is very pleasing on the eyes and not as "ghostly" as the cold white XP-G2 LEDs. Trees and grass are brown and green, colors do look more vibrant than with cold white LEDs.

You can select the brightness BEFORE you turn the light on (big plus for me) and you can activate max brightness from any mode you are currently in by press-holding the button.
If you want max output and a throwier beam however, better go with the XP-G2 version.

As for reliability: It never let me down so far but I only use it in "non-tactical" situations (my life doesn't depend on it).
Finding the side switch in the dark is no problem for me, not sure how well it can be operated with gloves though.
Would I buy it again if I lost it? Yes! :twothumbs

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
I'm considering the purchase of this model (XP-G2), but I have not found reviews by some of my regular sources like Going Gear or Selfbuilt. I found a couple of German reviews, but can't understand what they are saying. Even so, the beam comparisons with other high-out models popular are impressive. http://eagletac.com/html/mx25l3c/index.html Are there any owners out there who can comment on the reliability of this flashlight, and overall experience or impressions? Thanks
I have the video shot. I just have to edit and upload it.

HIDSGT

Enlightened
I hav one and not really impressed. its ok but its just too small imo and I have a hard time finding the button when I need to turn it on fast. cool back up light to keep in bag I guess cause for its size it is really bright. of course mine stopped working a month after buying but sent back and was repaired

Megekor

Newly Enlightened
Together with a friend of my we own 3 MX25L3 lights. We use them for lightpainting in mines and caves. We often submerge them in water (less than 2 feet) for illuminating the water and it happen on more than one
occasion that there was water in the battery compartment and behind the lens.

Now we use silicon grease on the threads but this is not a good solution since dirt starts sticking in the threads when you operate the head. When there is water in the light it starts to behave funny like shutting down or blinking.

I really like the beam pattern and the compact feel of the light but build quality is nothing compared to my old TK40/41 flashlights.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a product called Boelube that is a great o-ring lubricant as well as drilling lubricant.
It's of a waxy consistency so it doesn't attract dirt the same way that the liquid lubricants do.
As for running your light under water, you might get away with it for a little while, but it's a gamble your going to lose.
Build a water tight tube with a lens and use the light that way.
Your light, your choice.

markr6

Flashaholic
Any beam shots comparing with and without the diffuser? I'm thinking about getting a crazy-floody Nichia 219. This would be it, right?

Amelia

Enlightened
I have the Nichia 219 version of the MX25L3C.It's my favorite flashlight. Ever. From any company. And I own a lot of lights!
No reliability issues with it, it just works and keeps working.
Beautiful beam pattern and tint too! :)

Amelia

Enlightened
Any beam shots comparing with and without the diffuser? I'm thinking about getting a crazy-floody Nichia 219. This would be it, right?

It has a bit of a hot spot, throws somewhere around 200-250 yards with enough light to identify someone... but yeah, it's mainly a flooder. A really, really nice "sunlight in your hand" area flooder. Lights up a large back yard quite nicely.

I can't recommend the Nichia 219 version of this light enough - it's just plain beautiful.