Lux Pro LP600

tirod

Newly Enlightened
Got a gift card from Lowe's for Father's Day, and since I was there picking up more remodeling supplies I was looking to spend it. Nada. Same boring collection of stuff I'd bought cheaper earlier. It's a lumberbox, certainly not a major source of things like, say, flashlights. At least not like Defiant at Home Depot. I'd picked up the 500 lumen 3 C Cell last year, and another for my son for Christmas.

Checking out, of course, there's always something piled on the commercial register for impulse buying, I have the same situation at work. But - there was something different (not water, dew rags, or candy bars. )

This: http://www.lowes.com/pd_486468-5133...pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=lux+pro+lp600&facetInfo=

Inexpensive enough. Bought it with the gift card.

320 lumens? Yes, about right, compared to the Defiant 500 or a Rayovac 100 that has disappeared into my wife's custody. It also has medium and low, but no time ratings for that use other than the "7 hours" on the label. I suspect that is the low level rate.

It's got strobe and SOS. Am I a fan, well, never had it. It's disorienting, even inside during daylight hours. I can see it being useful if you need it. Same for SOS, I can see that as an aid when out hunting. Runs on 4 AAA's, so the package isn't compact in a Streamlight Microstream kind of way, but big enough to handle.

Beam shape is a lot like the Defiant, small hot spot with a lot of flood. The color is much whiter on my sample, with a slight tinge of violet, compared to the yellow tint of the Defiant. The center of the spot appears to fade slightly, almost as if graying out a step.

No idea yet on throw, its not dark out yet. I suspect it won't toss a beam quite like the Defiant, which was nearly the equal of my vehicles headlights. I'd toss in some comparisons with other store lights but I haven't seen them around here in a while, I keep looking for them, where did they go . . . oh well.

Typical click on, half depress cycles the functions. Click off. You don't have to see strobe or SOS if you just push in all the way when done. It always comes on full bright if you give it a few seconds to reset, otherwise, it starts where you left off, or at the next step in the sequence. Yes, that could be annoying, but hey, it's either on or off for most uses. Getting the hang of intermediate timing might be a skill few need to acquire. I've got a single AA Everready that fades and blinks as it powers up and down, seems gimmicky now.

At the consumer level these models pop up and then disappear. We have to keep on top of the performance/price ratio to appreciate them. In this case it's something to consider if you are on the market or have impulse cash to spend.

FWIW.

TS_PhotoAtlanta

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to decide if my LP630 will take a single big battery like a 26650 and would that be an advantage over 4 AAA cells?
The AAA cells I'm using list at 900MAh each. Then if it's a good IDEA, I'll have to ask the surely often asket question can
any recommend a good battery or two? Would you recommend this charger?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBFZDI8/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Thanks -- if this is too FAQ, please just aim your light and holler!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For the money, these aren't bad lights imo.

I bought the sliding focus models LP-470 - $15 (180 lumens) and the LP 630 - $30 (320 lumens) which both run off triple A's in a cartridge.

They are great give-away lights to folks who are used to the 'junk lights' from days gone by.
Both have rubberized grip areas and a rubberized ring around the globe for drop protection.
The forward clicky is not mooshy, but not too stiff.
They both cycle high/low/strobe.

Now the 180 lumen model is pretty bright and has a nice/solid beam for flood or spot. No soft on feature but still, for $15 it's a very useful light for the average person.
The 320 lumen has a soft on and is noticeably brighter. Same type of well defined beam a good spill when on spot mode. But for $15 more I can't say it has enough "better-ness" for the average person.

Run times seem to be on par with lights of these draw. The 180 lumen seems to dim faster with the 3 triple A's vs the 320 model with 4.
Both tail stand. Both have that usually useless lifetime warranty against defects etc.
I've dropped both from about 4' onto pavement...enough to dent the alluminum globe enough times to say they are not fragile.

All in all, they aren't junk, but actually surprisingly decent little lights at about 4.5 and 5.5" repectively. And they are certainly plenty lightweight.

Flashaholics would probably scoff at them. But every flashlight hoarder should certainly own some.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened

I bought the sliding focus models LP-470 - $15 (180 lumens) and the LP 630 - $30 (320 lumens) which both run off triple A's in a cartridge.

They are great give-away lights to folks who are used to the 'junk lights' from days gone by.
Both have rubberized grip areas and a rubberized ring around the globe for drop protection.

Now the 180 lumen model is pretty bright and has a nice/solid beam for flood or spot. No soft on feature but still, for $15 it's a very useful light for the average person.
The 320 lumen has a soft on and is noticeably brighter. Same type of well defined beam a good spill when on spot mode. But for $15 more I can't say it has enough "better-ness" for the average person.

Run times seem to be on par with lights of these draw. The 180 lumen seems to dim faster with the 3 triple A's vs the 320 model with 4.
Both tail stand. Both have that usually useless lifetime warranty against defects etc.
I've dropped both from about 4' onto pavement...enough to dent the alluminum globe enough times to say they are not fragile.

All in all, they aren't junk, but actually surprisingly decent little lights at about 4.5 and 5.5" repectively. And they are certainly plenty lightweight.

Flashaholics would probably scoff at them. But every flashlight hoarder should certainly own some.

I like this flashlight. The uses for running off alkalines include for the most part, the ability to cheaply and reliably take extra batteries with you for long trips. You don't have to take ridiculously expensive one-off lithiums, or pathetic rechargeable NiMH or equally pathetic Li-ion batteries but instead rather light alkalines for camping/sailboating, and the volume of quadruple AAA batteries isn't as bad as the weight volume of equally performing batteries as far as voltage to run times, except for lithium one-offs, which when price is a concern are just not a possibility.

You can always use compact alkaline or energizer ultimate lithium if top performanceis a thing, compact alkaline being the most energy (the best)

As for the flashlight, I have th luxpro lp600, deceiving name, as 600 has nothing to do with it except designation, but throws well and has a cleanish beam. For those like me with larger hands, it's nice to actually have room to grip the whole thing, most tactical lights are finger gripper s to me -not saying this light is tactical - but I've benefited from the extra girth. Good solid contacts inside beat the common springs, overall good looking flashlight. High mode is good enough to tellif someone's over there!!!! and low if great for not over-powering indoor tasks. Simple use between modes, except two flaws, no momentary on on my model, and, only one button without long term memory so I can't turn it on strobe quickly to surprise anyone- but I can turn it off from any setting.

I've dropped it under water and it seems pretty dry.

Finally my results from run time make sense for it being such high draw, with brand new generic alkalines, it kept somewhere close to 300 lumens for 20 minutes continuous, then started dimming, until at 30 minutes it was about the same as low mode, somewhere around100 lumens (still enough light to use) but then continued in such "mode" for guess what, 5 hours and 35 additional minutes, with good batteries, I'd expect over 80 lumens for the 7 hours in the high mode, but low mode is a high frequency flash, so it lasts an unbelievable 7 hours on generic alkaline, and 10 hours on better batteries like Duracell and perhaps even more on quantum or some other compact alkaline.

I haven't tested strobe. With real life performance I'm looking at about1-2 hours of intermittent use with legitimately over 300 lumens, and a cumulative5-6 hours on low, so for my walks I di every night, approximately 6-8 hours of walking if I really milk the batteries and expect some dimming over time. Dimming is from amperage dropping voltage, not voltage alone, because when I test the batteries we're looking at over %85, which indicates the possibility it could last 20 hours or more on strobe. The strobe is disorienting, but not tactical, I never find myself using it. Lanyard works, tailstands, no roll stop which is disappointing, didn't really realize so when I got it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you lay it on it's side and tuck the lanyard against it, that makes a decent anti-roll device.

Lux-Pro aint bad lights for the $.
The 470 I bought doesn't have momentary on, but the 630 does.

Glad they chose setting 2 for low.

Edbern

Newly Enlightened
Both have that usually useless lifetime warranty against defects etc.

Respectfully, just curious why you call it "usually useless." I had an old LP something (old enough that it didn't even have a model number on the casing) that died due to battery corrosion, had no receipt, and sent it in to Lexpro and immediately got a brand-new 630 with no questions asked.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ I said useless not knowing Lux-Pro would stand behind that sorta thing.

Words of the warranty indicate "against defects" which in normal terms says "you're on your own unless you can prove the solder is defective"...

Nice to know Lux-Pro is ok. Thanks for that!

Welcome to the site.
Great 1st post. Very helpful.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I haven't met a Lux Pro light I didn't like!

Their quality, utility, & price make for both strategic & gift purchases.

Just be sure to have backup batteries for them.

LeveeJohn

Newly Enlightened
My wife keeps a LP630 on the night stand, but this was an impulse buy. Seems okay, but haven't really compared to a high end light. Thoughts?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My wife keeps a LP630 on the night stand, but this was an impulse buy. Seems okay, but haven't really compared to a high end light. Thoughts?

I really dig the little $30 zoomer 630.
Just used mine recently to scare the crap out of some fellows I thought were stealing my neighbors truck.

The tow truck driver was overheard saying "**** this...this aint worth getting shot over".

Versus high end lights? Not a chance, but for $30 it's pretty good.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?413697-30-Lux-Pro-LP-630-impressions

Last edited:

Terrywhite

Newly Enlightened

I actually just recently bought the lp470, working as a technician I have to keep a decent light on me all the time and breaking them gets expensive. I bring this up because I just read a post where the guy said he put a 18650 into his lp470. Just curious... the light itself should handle it, not totally sure of the electronics and can't find any real details on any power ratings.

Anyone have any ideas. It only cost me around 13 bucks...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I actually just recently bought the lp470, working as a technician I have to keep a decent light on me all the time and breaking them gets expensive. I bring this up because I just read a post where the guy said he put a 18650 into his lp470. Just curious... the light itself should handle it, not totally sure of the electronics and can't find any real details on any power ratings.

Anyone have any ideas. It only cost me around 13 bucks...

Great idea. Welcome to the site.

An 18650 works like a charm in them. But....
Being direct drive it can overtax itself if you use those vaper batteries. Consider a low output protected type.

I use Nuon 1amp sold at Batteries Plus Bulbs with incan lights I over drive. Keeps from blowing the bulbs. And being the Lux-Pro was designed around the gentle output of alkaline batteries I figure it is just safer on the light to use low output cells.

I'd also reccomend a wee bit of wrap around the center of the cell to keep it centered inside the body of the light. Something temporary so you can remove it to charge the cell.

That is what I mean by a wrap.