New SL ProPoly 4aa: should I use a dummy battery?

Raven

Enlightened
Just got one, and I plan to use mostly used batteries in it, though I am still tempted to get a dummy battery.

Will using partially drained aa batteries be enough to avoid any heat issues, or should I still invest in a dummy battery?

Raven

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: New SL ProPoly 4aa: should I use a dummy batte

I think some pp4aa's had a design or manufacturing defect and got hot, but that's been fixed. Personally I wouldn't be a light that overheated when used per its design.

Raven

Enlightened

BTW: I just called two radio shacks and the kids working there had never heard of any type of dummy battery.

/shrug

Raven

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd just run the snot out of it and enjoy the brightness. Several hours run time will reduce the juice anyway.

If it does happen to fry, Streamlight will give you a brand new one. Can't beat that.

StuU

Enlightened

I bought mine a year ago and have used a dummy battery. I'm only on the second battery change in 12 months. The leds are driven in the normal range. With the 3AAs, it's still the overal best light in the stable.

I used the dummy cell with 3 lithium batteries for the 2nd battery change. This arrangement works very well. Works fine with alkalines too.

fivebyfive

Enlightened

I have used the sl4aa7led for at least 1.5 hours straight and didn't experience any heat issues. I bought my flashlight at least 6 months ago. I wouldn't worry about the heat issues unless you're buying old stock merchandise.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've also used the SL4AA7LED for extended times with no heat problems. Have also given away a dozen of these lights to people who are not into flashlights, and the general consensus is that it's the "best flashlight I've ever had".
The lights come with 4AA. All of these people use 4AA. I've yet to hear a single negative from any of them.
My assumption is that the issues some people have had are the exception, not the norm--not that assuming ever gets me anywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chumley

Enlightened

I have had a SL4AA7led for maybe 6 months. No problems with heat, but the 2nd set of batteries rattled around and the light would flicker and even go out. I think the batteries are Rayovacs, and there must have been a problem with at least one of them. I put in 4 new Rayovacs and they rattle around, but no flickering.

I did try 3 fresh lithiums and 1 almost dead one (I don't have any dummy cells). No battery rattles, no flickering and still fairly bright. Also the light didn't weigh as much.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
You don't need a dummy battery with alkaline batteries. Someone was using a dummy battery with 3AA lithium batteries. C.Crane has dummy AA batteries on closeout.
http://www.ccrane.com/closeouts.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

I might be the someone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I run mine on 3AA lithiums plus a dummy cell. I like the fact that the output stays brighter for longer when run this way... think of it as a poor man's regulator. HIGHLY recommended! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I thought it was you & I even started to type in "Milkyspit", but I wasn't sure & I didn't want to search for the thread.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

What everyone else said goes double for me!

Yes, very early on in the production of this light, one person on CPF distroyed a Streamlight 4AA LED by using 4 Lithium batteries, by loading 4 new lithium batteries and leaving the light on for several hours. The heat damaged the light.

There have been improvements and upgrades to the light since then, by Streamlight.

Streamlight also warrantees the light for ever, so if it should get heat damaged, just send it back to them.

Just FYI, I have one of the earlier models of this light, and have used it for hours at a time, with no problems. I use only Alkaline batteries in mine.