Headights upgrade for 2012 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Hey friends.

I have once again offered to a colleague to help him find the best LEGAL upgrade for his newly acquired "new old stock" 2012 Honda Civic. Apparently it sat on the lot unloved all this time.

Anyways, he was talking HIDS and I politely explained why that was a really bad idea. He was receptive to the notion that it would help him, so I offered to look into better lighting for him.

I did a quick search of old threads but didn't find anything. So, question is, best bulbs for the noted car? Would a harness be a good idea? He lives way out of town and commutes, which is why he wants the best possible lighting.

Car has reflector based lamps, don't know what bulbs.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best 9006 (the low beam bulb for that car) is the Philips X-treme Vision, described here. Prices vary, shop around. There's also the off-label installation of a 9012 (HIR2) (tab trimming required), a thread on that is here. Note that if the low beams don't have full cap bulb shields, the HIR2 is a no-go.

For the high beams, you can use the Philips X-Treme Vision 9005, or just go for the 9011 (HIR) (again, tab trimming required). Because high beams are used in the absence of other traffic, you can go wild on the high beams.

As far as needing relays, probably not-- but test using these instructions to be sure.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The HIR2 works well (is actually the best possible upgrade) in the '12 Civic low beam. Ditto the HIR1 in the high beam. Relays won't be needed. Correct headlamp aim is paramount important; it must be done with an optical headlamp aiming machine, not by shining the lights on a wall.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
10-4, I will recommend HIR1 and HIR2, and an aim job. Much appreciated. I know a shop with an optical aiming machine, if he does not.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Just use nail clipper to trim those HIR1 and HIR2 like I did on mine. Very easy to do, I'm finished in just minutes.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't run HIR1 on the high-beams, unless you disable the high beam DRLs.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I wouldn't run HIR1 on the high-beams, unless you disable the high beam DRLs.

I can't think of a good reason to avoid the HIR1s in this application, even with DRLs, and the original poster is in Canada where the DRL function is required.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Honda Civic high beams are very directional, and the stock DRLs are very glare-y. So it isn't advisable to up the intensity, even fractionally.
So, if you really want HIR1 highs, then by all means move the DRL function to the turn signals.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Honda Civic high beams are very directional, and the stock DRLs are very glare-y.

With stock bulbs, they're well below the maximum allowable intensity (less than half). With the HIR1s, they'll still be under 70% of the permitted maximum intensity. There is no problem here.

So it isn't advisable to up the intensity, even fractionally.

The facts do not support that opinion. Even with HIR1 bulbs, the 2012 Civic DRL will still be well under the highest intensity DRLs on the road.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the 9012 HIR2 be a good replacement for a Honda Accord 2005 (9006) low beams?

If these bulbs are a good option what needs to be trimmed off to get them to fit? Thank you

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Would the 9012 HIR2 be a good replacement for a Honda Accord 2005 (9006) low beams?

Yes, but as with any bulb, the headlamps must be genuine Honda units, not aftermarket junk, and they must be in perfect condition (no lens clouding -- if they're visibly clouded, replace with new)

If these bulbs are a good option what needs to be trimmed off to get them to fit?

See this diagram.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Virgil, yes the headlamps are original Honda and still in very good shape, no clouding.

Appreciate the link, very helpful. After reading some reviews on Amazon it sounds like a quick and simple trim job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts