HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Klarus RS20: a "twin eye" flashlight

Default New Klarus RS20: a "twin eye" flashlight

New release from Klarus:

http://www.klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=142&lge=en

Another nice Klarus with moon mode

Default Re: New Klarus RS20: a "twin eye" flashlight

Shame it uses non standard battery contacts.

I like it.

Jack of all trades, master of none, perhaps? Not sure swappable side LED's make it qualify as "multi-color". Also "laptor".
    Nice to see Klarus trying new things, though. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Changeable leds.. That's interesting
    Mostly reading.

I guess my only question is will a standard 18650 work? It seems only logical that it would. If it is the proprietary battery only, then no deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    I guess my only question is will a standard 18650 work? It seems only logical that it would. If it is the proprietary battery only, then no deal for me.

Specs:

Certainly an interesting light.

I like that they separated the buttons onto two separate "heights." They must have read people complaining about side switch lights that have two mode/power buttons that are hard to tell apart/find in the dark.

It looks like they put some thought into it. However we will have to wait and see if everything comes together well as a functional tool, or it handles like several features slapped together.

Overall I could see this definitely being useful for some people, and even though I probably won't get one I have to admit I think it is kind of cool.

interesting: http://www.klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=142&lge=en

it has a short circuit protection feature for the charge plate
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

I got my hands on one of these today and so far I am impressed.

It has a larger reflector and more peak beam intensity than almost all single 18650 lights I have seen.

The side light is also pretty useful. I can see myself using this a lot on camping trips. Almost every light can head-stand, but this light can head-stand and be useful as a lantern.

It's also pretty cool that the two LEDs can be used at the same time and controlled independently. I will try this walking some time - side light for close range and primary light for looking around.

I have noticed that the side LED drops in output slightly when the primary LED is on high but this is not much of a surprise. I don't think a single 18650 can produce 1050 lumens + 220 lumens at the same time?
    liteshop.com.au - Fenix, ThruNite, Klarus, Sunwayman, Xtar, JETBeam, Nitecore and Ferei lights in Australia

This reminds me of an old pre LED light I had that was great 30 years ago with two bulbs as you could see the ground where you were walking and still keep the beam on the trail ahead. I showed this to cop friend and he wants the blood tracker LED. I really like the magnetic charging plug it eliminates a big weakness in most chargeable electronics-imho

Does anyone know if this light can tail stand? I realize it has a side light but just wondering...

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg330 View Post
    Does anyone know if this light can tail stand? I realize it has a side light but just wondering...
    It should be able to tail stand so the main beam can point up and the side light can be usable at the same time, and, it is able to head stand for a more stable position, so the side light is usable plus whatever comes from the bezel crenelations.

It does tail stand pretty well on a flat hard surface.

Head standing with the side LED on is nice and stable even on soft surfaces like carpet or upholstery or uneven surfaces like concrete.

For other surfaces, like in a tent or on sand for example, the side LED is so diffused that positioning it to provide useful light is not hard.

I do like the addition of the side LED on this torch.
    liteshop.com.au - Fenix, ThruNite, Klarus, Sunwayman, Xtar, JETBeam, Nitecore and Ferei lights in Australia

Any reviews up on this light yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
    Any reviews up on this light yet?
    I found one on YouTube, but it's in German. Looks pretty cool.

I found one on YouTube, but it's in German. Looks pretty cool.
    Might as well link it?

Flashaholic*

I picked up this light the other day, and I've found it very useful. It is a two piece light, that unscrews between the head and body. The threads are anodized so loosening the head a little locks it out.The magnetic charging dock on the light works very well and the battery measured 4.19v when fully charged. The main beam has a tight spot with good throw, its similar to my Crelant 7G6CS. I'd say its 25000cd like it says in the specs. The side light is a good flood, like the H502. It works well for walking it lights up everything in your immediate area if you need to see farther the main beam is already pointed in the right direction. It would also make a good car or work light. The only thing I'd change is add the 1lm mode to the side light and add a 120lm mode to the main beam. The UI does take a little getting used to, but over all I think it's a good light.

Quote Originally Posted by wedlpine View Post
    I like it.
    Me too. If It comes with a 12v charger that would make it ideal to keep in the car 24/7.

Flashaholic*

The charger is USB so you just need a cigarette lighter to USB converter.

I like this light, but like others am having a hard time finding a review on it. I also really like the FL18 as it seems to have all the features of the 20 but has integrated red green and white secondary lights all in one.
    Last edited by lytumup; 11-07-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz80 View Post
    The charger is USB so you just need a cigarette lighter to USB converter.
    Ah thanks, that's good to know. I'd like to see a review done in English so I could understand more about this light Too.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by lytumup View Post
    I like this light, but like others am having a hard time finding a review on it. I also really like the rs18 as it seems to have all the features of the 20 but has integrated red green and white secondary lights all in one.
    You are thinking of the FL18, the RS18 doesn't have the side light. The RS20 has twice the throw of the FL18, and it's side light, while not having integrated red and green, has a higher high and lower low which I find more useful than the red and green. The RS20 does have red,green and blue replacement modules for the side light. The FL18 has a smaller head so it would be more pocket friendly. I was waiting for a review also, I just got tired of waiting. I can be a little impatient like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz80 View Post
    You are thinking of the FL18, the RS18 doesn't have the side light. The RS20 has twice the throw of the FL18, and it's side light, while not having integrated red and green, has a higher high and lower low which I find more useful than the red and green. The RS20 does have red,green and blue replacement modules for the side light. The FL18 has a smaller head so it would be more pocket friendly. I was waiting for a review also, I just got tired of waiting. I can be a little impatient like that.
    Thanks for catching that. I had the FL18 on order and it was supposed to ship out on the 10th of this month. I went and checked the order from the place I ordered it, and they now have 20 percent off in stock Klarus lights. Since the FL18 is not in stock they wouldn't give me the deal so I canceled the order and reordered the RS2O and a side light (red)shipped to me for the same price. Plus the FL18 does not come with a holster, and the RS20 does so all in all, I feel I did well. Cant wait.
    Last edited by lytumup; 11-07-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Flashaholic*

I noticed that sale I'm very tempted to order the RS18, but Olight just came out with a new thrower and Sunwayman has a couple of new lights and Fenix and and there's to many interesting new lights and not enough money. oh well. Anyway, I think you will enjoy your new light, I,m using mine quite a bit and liking it.

Thanks I had a hard time deciding what light I was going to get, I really like the new Olight r15 as well. I already own 10 different types of Fenix and know I will be getting the ld02 (gotta love the aaa clickies)when its available. So decided to try a different brand and when I saw the 20 percent off, figured better not wait. Quick question for you have you tried a different color side light yet? I thought I saw that the different color side light will only operate in the high and low modes no medium level available like the white light that comes with it. Also if you have tried a different color, can you use the strobe feature? Good luck on figuring out the next purchase.

Flashaholic*

I haven't tried a different color yet, I'll be interested in what you find. The side light has a beacon mode no strobe. The main beam has the strobe and SOS. One would think/hope that the modes would be the same.

@ oktas

"Jack of all trades, master of none, perhaps? Not sure swappable side LED's make it qualify as "multi-color". Also "laptor".
    Nice to see Klarus trying new things, though. I'll be keeping an eye on this one."

+1

( no more +1 I guess, its says responses require 5 words. Guess this could be a good thing. )
    Last edited by ForrestChump; 11-08-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Well I got the light today but haven't had much time to play with it yet. I did swap out the sidelight (white) for the (red). The red light does have the same high/med/low/beacon mode as the white light. Swapping out the lights was fairly straight forward remove 4 screws and the light pops up. Just a hint I did notice that the small screws seem to only have 1-2 full threads of contact before tight. This seems like a possible weak point if you would intend to swap out the lights often. Another tip is to keep firm pressure on the side light while tightening/loosening the screws. The side light it self seems to want to pop out when you get the screws loose and you could very easily loose them (they are very small) or worse yet strip them. I think if you just go slow and take your time you will have no problem. I will try to get you more on the light later this week, when I get time to use more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast