Why do you like flashlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two trust fire lights I bought on amazon, a tr-3t6 and z6. Both are great lights for around the house and that is pretty much all I needed for around the house. I don't know exactly how I found this forum, maybe I was inquisitive on the tr-3t6 and searched for reviews? I don't exactly recall but I do want to note that when I saw this forum, I said to myself, "wtf, a flashlight forum???". After reading up a few flashlight reviews here, I checked amazon (because I'm a prime member and thats what prime members do) and found a few lights. Soon I discovered the term "throw" and "wall" and and amazon introduced me to the thrunite tn32, after a few reviews here and there, I said wtf, let me burn some cash. I got it the same day, charged up my trust fire batteries (which I soon learned by reading they are crap and panasonics are superior) and waited until the night. Finally darkness sets in and I flash it outside and was amazed, I pointed it downwards towards the end of the street, I'd say the end of the street is about 600-700 ft and the light faintly dimmed the wall all the way down to the end of the street. So guess what? I read more and now I want to spend some cash on a night wall light, now this candlepowerforum site isn't so weird after all.

- Do your friends/family/neighbors think your awkward for being a flashlight enthusiast?
- What got you into flashlights?

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ehh I build laser, so making the jump to flashlights was a bit More normal. Lol.

I built lasers and kept hearing about this forum. I decided to see what could be so interesting and ordered parts to build a convoy m1 with 4a mtg2.
Holy mother was it bright. A couple thousand lumens in a small light. I was hooked.

I then found Vinh. Goodbye wallet.

I know have 20 Vinh modified lights. From tiny 900lm pocket rockets, to 4000lm tk75vnkt, to 7500lm X60vn, to 6500lm mm15vn the size of a soda can, to the tk61vn that literally throws a mile, to a few hundred dollar titanium Edc's supercharged by Vinh. . And many many more.

Now I build laser strictly to fund my light addiction.

Bigpal

Enlightened
They are an indispensable tool and they can be beautiful when crafted by skilled people. Lighting up the darkness is impressive. Then there's so many variations that you really never get tired of them. The ability to modify and create your own is especially appealing, not to mention you can generate income if you're talented enough. It's an art in many ways and art will always have a community.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are just big boys toys like my other collections of guns,knives,pens,watches,androids,cameras,radio control cars and my latest toy my Honda 125cc

ven

Flashaholic
Many reasons for me,useful in work on a daily basis to vinhdomized lights,modded for better performance. The latter has certainly helped my interest no end by getting the best out of already great lights.

As around 8hrs of the day is dark here in the UK,having a flashlight is a very useful tool. First thing we(ok maybe most )do is turn a light on when going into a dark house/room. Outside we dont have that luxury so a flashlight is very useful to have at hand. Many times i need to do a few jobs on the truck, i need some time without kids,so night time after they go bed is ideal. Headlamp or flashlight obv comes into its own for making it possible:)

Then tint/ differences,different LEDs again add interest for me be it throw/flood,along with different fuel types and amounts of cells:)

I like to have edc lights for general use,good at most general purpose stuff but also like dedicated flashlights for specific purposes too:)

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, trailhunter!

In a way, failing and under-performing bicycle lights got me into flashlights. And camping trips, and generally being a night owl. Helped by that I like to tinker with electronics... :) But of course they're many-purpose tools, so it doesn't hurt to have some good ones.

A LED light I previously used as bicycle light, was some 4+ years old. LED tech moved quick in the last decade, so I decided to check the current state of the art in pocket-size, and got an S10-L2 Baton which certainly did not disappoint. The search for it led me to CPF, which led me to check some lights with different battery types, body materials, cheapies a la SK68 etc.

- Do your friends/family/neighbors think your awkward for being a flashlight enthusiast?
Gf thinks it's silly, but doesn't care much. Which figures, since I don't spend excessive amounts of $$ on it. Or stuff the house with boxes & display cabinets... :laughing:

They are just big boys toys (..)
+1 (scratch that "big" btw)

caps

Newly Enlightened
In a way, failing and under-performing bicycle lights got me into flashlights.

Same here, but I also needed a good light to bring the dogs in at night (probably 150ft in country darkness).

The second night I had my Olight I went to bring the dogs in and on my way back there was a snake in the grass right by me. I wouldn't have seen it without that light.

Needless to say there was quickly a snake in my trash can with a .22 hole in it's head.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, but I also needed a good light to bring the dogs in at night (probably 150ft in country darkness).

The second night I had my Olight I went to bring the dogs in and on my way back there was a snake in the grass right by me. I wouldn't have seen it without that light.

Needless to say there was quickly a snake in my trash can with a .22 hole in it's head.

Why kill the snake?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
...needed a good light to bring the dogs in at night...

Wow! A chance to agree with the Supreme Designator of Anorak wear:

Needless indeed. Unless it was poisonous and a threat, why kill a snake that helps keep pests in control? Oh Well. One opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

jso902

Enlightened
I was given a SF A2 9 years back. Didn't think much of it.
9 years later, I said wth, let's see why this light was so and still so expensive.
Now my wallet has a hole in it. My wife thinks I have a bizarre habit...

back on topic.
It's a hobby. Takes my mind off things. Educational.
It's cheaper than... many other activities that would just get me into a lot of trouble. Assuming I don't dive into the titanium world.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got into flashlights as a kid, with the colored photon microlights my dad gave me as a kid. Now, I think I stay in it because it's a control issue ;) I like to feel in control of my environment. :thumbsup:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's cheaper than... many other activities that would just get me into a lot of trouble. Assuming I don't dive into the titanium world.

Well said ;) That titanium will clean you out real quick.

Mortar

Newly Enlightened
I have carried knives as long as I can remember, and about eight years ago I started working in a major sporting goods store in the knife and sunglass section. Since I am getting older, it was nice to have a flashlight to help find the goods under the counter. The store supplied AA's, but I didn't want to spend the money on a Surefire. Starting looking around and found a Fenix L1D at a good price and started carrying it. Since then, I always have a flashlight in my lift front pocket and my knife in the right front pocket. I just feels right to have them both instantly available.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
I think we are just wired to like bright shiny things. Ever give a toddler a flashlight? They instinctively turn it off and on, and can't get enough if it. If you've sat in your easy chair watching TV and clicked your light on and off shining down the hall, you know the feeling. Also, it's a relatively inexpensive hobby, with a lot of ever changing choices.
I think there's something for everyone, a range of prices, range of power, custom lights, modding for the do it yourself crowd, and learning more than you ever imagined about batteries and shipping methods from China.
And you can defend even the most expensive purchase by saying "just wait 'til the power goes out!"

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I have two trust fire lights I bought on amazon, a tr-3t6 and z6. Both are great lights for around the house and that is pretty much all I needed for around the house. I don't know exactly how I found this forum, maybe I was inquisitive on the tr-3t6 and searched for reviews? I don't exactly recall but I do want to note that when I saw this forum, I said to myself, "wtf, a flashlight forum???". After reading up a few flashlight reviews here, I checked amazon (because I'm a prime member and thats what prime members do) and found a few lights. Soon I discovered the term "throw" and "wall" and and amazon introduced me to the thrunite tn32, after a few reviews here and there, I said wtf, let me burn some cash. I got it the same day, charged up my trust fire batteries (which I soon learned by reading they are crap and panasonics are superior) and waited until the night. Finally darkness sets in and I flash it outside and was amazed, I pointed it downwards towards the end of the street, I'd say the end of the street is about 600-700 ft and the light faintly dimmed the wall all the way down to the end of the street. So guess what? I read more and now I want to spend some cash on a night wall light, now this candlepowerforum site isn't so weird after all.

- What got you into flashlights?

1- Because NOTHING dispels darkness like the LIGHT!!!

2- And in another sense, the Light is the TRUTH! The truth IS the light. The light reveals people of the lie for who and what they are. But I digress. Well not really!

Instant Light and Instant Truth are almost synonymous. Truth lights up evil the way Light [high end LED flashlights!] lights up the dark, in other words, the way the flashlights show the Truth BEHIND the friggin' darkness!

As the Motto of the Christophers states, "There is not enough darkness to put out the light of one small candle."

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.