Novatac 120 problem, help

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, moderators, i do apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum, please shift it to somewhere more appropriate if necessary.

I have a Novatac 120 and it has been acting up on me, whether i use a rechargeable CR123 or a primary CR123 , both cells have the same problem. The problem is, the light starts acting up, when I want to turn it on, i click on the rear button but it doesnt work until the button is clicked on and off about 3 to 4 times, not very reliable.

Can anyone help? Thank you.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried cleaning all the contact points? They can be quite fussy when just a little dirty. It could be that the tail switch is wearing out also. How old is it?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall a discussion on this where the actual contact points in the switch were getting dirty. I believe the switch could be disassembled enough to get some contact cleaner in there, and make it work like new.

If you can do this, the very best cleaner to apply is Caig Deoxit. I used to get it at radio shack, but 4Sevens sells it too.

BTW, Lighthound has entire HDS battery case/switch assemblies as low as $15. These are from the OLD (up to 2005) HDS lights, and WILL fit your Novatac. The $15 one does not have a flush button, it's more of a dome. The $19 one has a flat button, but still might not sit totally flat. Both are cheaper than just a switch from Novatac, and probably better quality, if you are not able to fix the original one.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips guys

Sent from my Poseidon using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several things that need attention on the Novatac 120. First, using either deoxit, or some other contact cleaner (isopropal alcohol will do in a pinch), wet a Q-tip (or other cotton swab), and clean the ends of the spring (the removable one in the battery tube), and the areas in the tailcap and head where the spring makes contact.

At the same time, make sure that the little, thin, silver rings in both the head and tailcap is tight. It is easy to see. I has 4 tiny little cutouts at 90 degrees from each other. You have to take some tweezers (or something) and go down in there and apply pressure at two of those opposing points and turn counter clockwise to make sure that disc is tight. They are notorious for causing those weird types of issues in the 120.

You can also try stretching the spring a bit, to make sure it's making contact, but it's imporant to do it the right way. DON'T simply "pull" it apart. You want to "unroll" it a bit instead, that way it keeps the diameter roughly the same.

Next, clean the tailcap spring and area in the head where the positive battery contact mates. Be sure and hold the head with the light up, and only apply cleaner to the swab. You don't want any cleaner dripping down into the head.

Finally, when you reassemble the light, make sure that you have cleaned the ends of the battery tube and where it contacts in the head and tail cap AND screw them together fairly tightly.

If you have one of the programmable 120s, you might consider doing both a full reset, and then a battery reset (which sets it for either a rechargeable battery or a primary battery).

It sounds like a lot, but once you've done it and eliminated the problem, you shouldn't have to repeat those steps very often, if ever. Mine was wonky at first, but after doing all the above steps, it's worked great for many years. Good luck

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noted, thanks for the help you guys, it's a great light the Novatac and I would love to get it working perfectly again, and nothing good comes easy. :)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, Lighthound has entire HDS battery case/switch assemblies as low as $15. These are from the OLD (up to 2005) HDS lights, and WILL fit your Novatac. The $15 one does not have a flush button, it's more of a dome. The $19 one has a flat button, but still might not sit totally flat. Both are cheaper than just a switch from Novatac, and probably better quality, if you are not able to fix the original one.

I think that Lighthound has stopped selling the switch assemblies. Can't seem to find it.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
hyperloop, PM sent. Or just type "HDS" in the search window down on the left side of LH's front page.